What ya reckon, too short?

stirk

Burner
That's a little over only half the stem grabbing the steerer, you could probably get away with it but I think it's a little short, as you really want the area where the top bolt is to be grabbing the steerer.

Tighten it up and brace the wheel between your legs and see if you can easily budge the steerer with the kind of high forces you put through it during your normal rides. You ride pretty hard from what I see in the vids.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
does the upper stem bolt sit higher than the steerer? if so i'd ride it. If not probably give it a miss... what is the stack height of your stem?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Forgot my Metrics were 165mmish and now wondering if I should put the Rux back on..
And when she saw It; she said you may as well just finger me...

That's way too short. If you were just pedalling to the shops it would still be too risky. Zero stack headset and a low stack stem should buy you a few mm extra...looks to me like you're going to want 10-15mm though.

Ideate

It's just below the top bolt. I was always going to give it a miss as I usually like to run the steerer all the way through with a spacer on top because I've had my stem and bars depart the head tube mid air before. It wasn't a nice landing!

I just wanted you guys to make me think it might be safe.. But to no avail! Bunch of nannas!

Anyway I'm going to see what these are like. If they're shit I'll sell the Metrics and get some TA 140-180 Durolux.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A friend ran a similar stem from Funn many years ago. He was a big unit and it was on a demo. It held up just fine. He wasn't pushing the limits of the bike with his riding style though, but did I mention he was a big unit?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Yeah, too short. You'd need at least some of the steerer over that top bolt.

I'm guessing that's a 40mm stack height? Have a look at a Funny Funnduro or a Tablet stem, they're both around the 30/32mm stack height.

P.S. If you saw mine at Bright, I'm still alive! :thumb:

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, too short. You'd need at least some of the steerer over that top bolt.

I'm guessing that's a 40mm stack height? Have a look at a Funny Funnduro or a Tablet stem, they're both around the 30/32mm stack height.

P.S. If you saw mine at Bright, I'm still alive! :thumb:
I ran a funnduro stem for about 18 months, maybe even 2 years. It held up really well.

Ideate

I'm guessing that's a 40mm stack height?
Close, it's 35mm high. Problem is you need to put a 5mm spacer under the stem because it fouls on the headset so that doesn't help. The one I ordered has a 30mm-ish stack minus the 5mm spacer because it looks like it won't mess with the top cup.. So that'll take the steerer to the top of the new stem hopefully. Then I'll put the 5mm spacer on top and tighten away.

Fun machine will be ready for testing at Thredbo this weekend then tweaked for the last two bright shuttle weekends

moorey

call me Mia
Close, it's 35mm high. Problem is you need to put a 5mm spacer under the stem because it fouls on the headset so that doesn't help. The one I ordered has a 30mm-ish stack minus the 5mm spacer because it looks like it won't mess with the top cup.. So that'll take the steerer to the top of the new stem hopefully. Then I'll put the 5mm spacer on top and tighten away.

Fun machine will be ready for testing at Thredbo this weekend then tweaked for the last two bright shuttle weekends

That's one light air shock.
I have a stem you could loan. Azza is prolly closer though.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Looking good! Do you want your old matching blue front wheel back? That'd complete the picture nicely...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
does the upper stem bolt sit higher than the steerer? if so i'd ride it. If not probably give it a miss... what is the stack height of your stem?
Think you got that a bit arse-about.... You want the bolt to be level with or below the top of the steerer.

The steerer should only be about 3mm below the top of the stem; just enough to ensure you can properly preload the headset without the top cap bottoming out on the steerer.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think you got that a bit arse-about.... You want the bolt to be level with or below the top of the steerer.

The steerer should only be about 3mm below the top of the stem; just enough to ensure you can properly preload the headset without the top cap bottoming out on the steerer.
Yeah i done confused myself with them words

Ideate

.. Do you want your old matching blue front wheel back? That'd complete the picture nicely...
Nah I've got a blue front in 27.5 but want to go back to 26" all around so I'll just smash the rear spoon before I lace another 823.

rone

Eats Squid
Nah I've got a blue front in 27.5 but want to go back to 26" all around so I'll just smash the rear spoon before I lace another 823.
It's funny. I thought it was just me that thought 27.5 wasn't all that....