Five Ten flats: break in period

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a strange one; however I was wondering if anyone else has had issues when switching from an old worn in pair of flats to New ones?

I have only been on flats for 12 months and using Freerider contacts. I changed to impact vxi this week and I'm finding I really have to concentrate on droppung my heels snd weighting the pedals. My freerider contacts were so soft in the end they wrapped around the pedal and i could feel every little bump. So my question is, how long does it normally take to adjust to new shoes and not have to think too much about what you are doing?

Cheers
C

Z

Zaf

Bit of a strange one; however I was wondering if anyone else has had issues when switching from an old worn in pair of flats to New ones?

I have only been on flats for 12 months and using Freerider contacts. I changed to impact vxi this week and I'm finding I really have to concentrate on droppung my heels snd weighting the pedals. My freerider contacts were so soft in the end they wrapped around the pedal and i could feel every little bump. So my question is, how long does it normally take to adjust to new shoes and not have to think too much about what you are doing?

Cheers
C
Guessing the same sort of time it takes switching into any new shoe. I had to break in my Maltese Falcons a little before they stopped hot spots and cramping in the foot, glove like fit now. But I know what you mean about the Freeriders, super flexy sole that wraps around the pedal, you can even feel the individual pins on the shoe through them. I'm honestly guessing it'll just be that kind of adjustment, you learn the different contact patch, and the pins int he pedal begin to groove their little positions into the sole which makes finding your foot spot easier after a little while; then all will be good.

Give it a week or so.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guessing the same sort of time it takes switching into any new shoe. I had to break in my Maltese Falcons a little before they stopped hot spots and cramping in the foot, glove like fit now. But I know what you mean about the Freeriders, super flexy sole that wraps around the pedal, you can even feel the individual pins on the shoe through them. I'm honestly guessing it'll just be that kind of adjustment, you learn the different contact patch, and the pins int he pedal begin to groove their little positions into the sole which makes finding your foot spot easier after a little while; then all will be good.

Give it a week or so.
12 months of muscle memory takes time to change. Because the freeriders were so bendy my heels would naturally drop. My muscles are adopting the same position but because the shoe is stiffer my foot is probably sitting flatter.... sounds good in theory!

Z

Zaf

12 months of muscle memory takes time to change. Because the freeriders were so bendy my heels would naturally drop. My muscles are adopting the same position but because the shoe is stiffer my foot is probably sitting flatter.... sounds good in theory!
When I hopped onto flats after riding for years in cleats it took a good two weeks before it started to mesh a bit more. I know the change isn't quite as radical as that, but a change in sole stiffness will effect how your foot feels on the contact point and the usual feedback you're used to. Brains are pretty clever though, they'll figure it out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The impact are a much stiffer shoe, so even after a while in them it is likely they will still feel pretty stiff compared to your old shoes.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The impact are a much stiffer shoe, so even after a while in them it is likely they will still feel pretty stiff compared to your old shoes.
Yes that's one of the reasons for changing. After a few months with the free riders, they had very little support left in them. Plus they were weak as piss... the soles get chewed up pretty quick and the top lace holes tore through.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes that's one of the reasons for changing. After a few months with the free riders, they had very little support left in them. Plus they were weak as piss... the soles get chewed up pretty quick and the top lace holes tore through.
Don't expect quality from 5:10. They are all shit shoes with really sticky soles and a popular brand name.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
they're ok if you get them cheap and have shoe goo or Kwik grip on hand
I split one pair across the sole at the ball of my foot after about 6 months. Both my big toes pushed a noticeable bump outside on their respective soles on a pair rather quickly as well. But when they are cheap...well theyre still expensive but it is damn hard to find other options for riding flats. Sad face.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I split one pair across the sole at the ball of my foot after about 6 months. Both my big toes pushed a noticeable bump outside on their respective soles on a pair rather quickly as well. But when they are cheap...well theyre still expensive but it is damn hard to find other options for riding flats. Sad face.
Maybe we should try Skechers. Have had more than double the life compared to shitty Mizuno and New Balance!

Flow-Rider

Burner
You have a serious vendetta against FiveTens, they're way over priced and no doubt about that. It's just like most things for mountain bikes, just another rip job. There are a few other brands in Europe but how do you get the sizing right.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
You did well to get 6 months haha...I love 5 10's but my current freerider contacts have had terrible durability compared to the older ones I had. There's pretty much no other choice for flats though so almost considering clipping in to get some decent shoes...almost

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You did well to get 6 months haha...I love 5 10's but my current freerider contacts have had terrible durability compared to the older ones I had. There's pretty much no other choice for flats though so almost considering clipping in to get some decent shoes...almost
Get some vxi's for $99 at CRC. Use ACY8U for $10 off!

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
Just picked up a warranty replacement pair for some Freerider Contacts that had persistently delaminating soles. I was definitely disappointed with the durability of the initial pair but I can't complain about the service. Huge difference in stiffness between the new pair and the nearly year old pair though, have to get used to it still.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just picked up a warranty replacement pair for some Freerider Contacts that had persistently delaminating soles. I was definitely disappointed with the durability of the initial pair but I can't complain about the service. Huge difference in stiffness between the new pair and the nearly year old pair though, have to get used to it still.
There's a huge difference in stiffness between new and 6mths old. I have a new pair siting in the cupboard which I'm thinking of selling and they are almost as stiff as the impact vxi's.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Don't expect quality from 5:10. They are all shit shoes with really sticky soles and a popular brand name.
They've just started to develop a few holes but I've had three years out of my VXIs. Will most likely wear them until they explode.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
First ride in vxi's from the CRC sale. I usually rode in Van's style shoes.

Got my usual size (US10) as recommended by reviews. Had a semi thick sports sock on whilst I rode. My foot moved quite a bit inside the shoe ... I did it up quite tightly but the shoe is pretty solid so it was resisting getting tighter.

Felt like I was riding using a gumboot, warmer than usual but not too hot I guess ..... but the upside was that it gets an 11/10 for sticking to my pedals (Average Wellgo's)

Will trying putting an insole in next time.

I've got Freerider VXi's which I've been wearing for coming on 3yrs now.
Still in good nick, few marks on the sole from pins but still plenty stiff and holding up fine.
I don't thrash them but they do go on every ride. In mud and dry.
No complaints. Think the full dimple sole is softer and more prone to tearing while the smooth contact patch on these is more hard wearing.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jury is still out with the Impact Vxi. The only time I've experienced foot lift is when scooping the back end up if going up a rock or other obstacle or doing a bunny hop. As these shoes are quite stiff they stay flat and won't wrap around the pedal like a softer shoe would. It takes more of a conscious effort to push your feet back into the pedals when scooping.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I too have just recently changed from being clipped in to flats.
I ordered the Five Tens from CRC for $110 (I think it's the XVI)

They do defs need to be broken into. I felt like a gumby when I first rode in them, the sole wasn't as flexible as I thought so I'll give them another few weeks and see how they go.