Its time ... WWII movie classics

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Apocalypse Now is on TV.

I'm part of the way through Heart of Darkness - where Apocalypse came from.

None of it WW2 but, well...., yup.

mtb1611

Seymour
just a little grave digger.

Watched Fury on the plane the other week. Ill be honest i cant remember it ... couldnt really hear the dialogue with me being deaf and all the ambient noise ... but i remember the scene with the tiger which i thought was pretty cool. Specifically the holes left by the shells in the armour.

Might need to watch it again to follow it better

Also watched the remake and original of Red Dawn recently ... good story let down by the acting
I quite liked Fury, seemed intent on portraying the ugly side of war (which it did very well) rather than go down the Hollywood glorification path. Actually watched Saving Private Ryan last night for the first time in a while. Was reading about the tank mock-ups, with the bodies of WW2 tanks being welded to functioning T34 chassis.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Apocalypse Now is on TV.

Huge fan of the film. Really liked the book. The relationship was pretty loose, the film didn't leave me feeling much for Brando, which I would have liked it to do.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I'll scoot off down the video shop over here and see if I can find a couple of Japanese classics for you guys to hunt down. You might find it interesting to see the other sides efforts.

Haven't watched it in a long time but I remember Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence being not too bad. It was the 80s and it did star David Bowie but I seem to remember it being watchable.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Fury was f***ing awful. I hated it so much.

WW2 Tanks shooting lazers? WTF? Brad Pitt's hipster haircut? They might as well have just given it a dubstep soundtrack and had Baz Luhrmann direct.

(Would probably have been a better movie actually. Less cliches at least...)

After this and World War Z, Brad Pitt has officially taken Tom Cruise's place on the c*nt list.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
(Not a war movie per se but it does have Nazis.)

Nordwand (or North Face in english) is a pretty good flick I watched recently. Based on a true story, it's about a pair of German climbers who are in a race to scale the North face of the Eiger in 1936 after Hitler declared it the last frontier in Europe and that it conquering it would be a proud statement of Aryan physical superiority.

*spoiler* Hitler lost World War 2 and he only had one ball

mtb1611

Seymour
Fury was f***ing awful. I hated it so much.

WW2 Tanks shooting lazers? WTF? Brad Pitt's hipster haircut? They might as well have just given it a dubstep soundtrack and had Baz Luhrmann direct.

(Would probably have been a better movie actually. Less cliches at least...)

After this and World War Z, Brad Pitt has officially taken Tom Cruise's place on the c*nt list.
Can't say I recall the laser scene......you sure that wasn't a TC flick?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Apocalypse Now is on TV.

I'll scoot off down the video shop over here and see if I can find a couple of Japanese classics for you guys to hunt down. You might find it interesting to see the other sides efforts.

Haven't watched it in a long time but I remember Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence being not too bad. It was the 80s and it did star David Bowie but I seem to remember it being watchable.
SBS went through a stage of playing films from German/Japanese perspective. I read a Japanese book about the Hiroshima bombing written by a civilian survivor a few years back. It was pretty interesting...the whole "we were just normal people going about our daily lives" kind of vibe. Can't recall the name of the book or author.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Can't say I recall the laser scene......you sure that wasn't a TC flick?
The copy I watched definitely had a green and red tinge to the cannon fire. I think they were supposed to be tracers although to my knowledge cannons don't fire tracers and if they do, they sure as shit don't use a colour palette.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Fury was ok, ruined by a MERICA hollywood ending.

The best scene in the entire film was the lunch with the german ladies, had kind of weird vibe which showed how damaged and (socially) dysfunctional the crew really was.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
*snip ... they sure as shit don't use a colour palette.
Odd Ball from Kelly's Heroes did.

Edit ... I like world war z ... Great ideas mixed in with some fanciful stuff, but it got some good responses from me which is all you can ask for really.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Odd Ball from Kelly's Heroes did.

Edit ... I like world war z ... Great ideas mixed in with some fanciful stuff, but it got some good responses from me which is all you can ask for really.
World War Z was the most horrific butchering of a brilliant source material since Limp Bizkit murdered The Who's 'Behind Blue Eyes'

The book was an awesomely epic imagining of a 10 year long global traditional (i.e none of your sprinting pish) zombie pandemic told by a variety of different eyewitnesses - doctors, nurses, politicians, grunts, pilots, mercenaries, housewives, teens, historians and old blind Japanese gardeners - In an homage to the classic World War 2 historical novel 'The Good War' Hell, half the chapters in the novel (which are the individual accounts of each witness) could be made into great movies on their own.

It's not only entertaining and inventive, there's also a shiteload of social commentary and dark humour in it and it even manages to address the elephant in the room that plagues most zombie scenarios: Just how a world-wide plague of the undead could spread in an age of high-tech warfare - in a surprisingly plausible manner.

Above all, what it isn't is a spastic Brad Pitt playing 'The Amazing Race' against the shitty baddies from 'I am Legend'

Dougy

Likes Dirt
SBS went through a stage of playing films from German/Japanese perspective. I read a Japanese book about the Hiroshima bombing written by a civilian survivor a few years back. It was pretty interesting...the whole "we were just normal people going about our daily lives" kind of vibe. Can't recall the name of the book or author.
Quite possibly Black Rain by Masaji Ibuse.

mtb1611

Seymour
The best scene in the entire film was the lunch with the german ladies, had kind of weird vibe which showed how damaged and (socially) dysfunctional the crew really was.
Agreed, great scene that showed the collateral/societal (as opposed to "material" ) damage caused by war.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Watched Fury again the other day.

The Battle scenes were all cool ... Some good ideas or stories in there ... Some of it pretty contrived.
Fear of the Tiger was pretty cool I thought.

not WWII, but I watched Sand Castle on Netflix too ... That was interesting ... Left me feeling frustrated with it all. Felt sorry for all sides involved.

A good weekend for war movies so far :thumb:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've just introduced the kids to a couple of classic ww1 movies I loved as a kid

All quiet on the western front - can't believe this one hasn't popped up yet? Old, not glitzy, poor acting, but the message gets across from the book. Great for the kids to see that war is full of actual people.

Lighthorsemen - old movie about the Aussie lighthorse in the middle east, again kinda surprised it hasn't rated a mention yet. "they're afraid we'll terrify the buggers to death and ruin the whole bloody war"

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Had a quick skim through the thread, noticed a couple of films not listed and worthy of a mention.

Boy in the striped pyjamas - A unique persepctive on the German prison camps.
Schindlers List - no description needed
Inglorious Bastards - If Tarantino decided how WWII could've ended...

Apologies if they've been mentioned already,

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I've just introduced the kids to a couple of classic ww1 movies I loved as a kid
I was think when I grave dug this puppy, that a realistic, a la SPR or similar, blood fest WWI movie would be great.

I enjoy All Quiet on the Western Front ... Good story telling.

Had a quick skim through the thread, noticed a couple of films not listed and worthy of a mention.
All good ones those ... I hate but like the holocaust stories ... Always brings out some kind of emotion.
i like when they write what happened to the main characters after the war ... More amazing stories there.