Giant STP 2

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
1.jpg

Here's my circa 2005 Giant STP 2. (I know I am about 10 years too late) I bought it off gumtree a while ago for $175 to ride when teaching the kids to ride. I got hooked on MTB and am now saving for a full suspension am/enduro of some sort so this is a budget bike with budget second hand parts to keep it going. I am also half Scottish, don't judge me.
I have converted it to 1 x 8 because the 22 tooth chain ring was so worn I was getting chain suck and wrecking chains. I put on a new 32 tooth ring and have had no issues. I'll go 11 speed with wide range cassette when things wear out again.
Only other mods to come will be a dropper post and maybe a fork upgrade.
I mostly ride trails with it.

Frame - Giant STP 14.5
Front shock/fork - Marzocchi EXR
Saddle - Zero Zealth
Front brake - Hayes 9
Rear brake - Hayes 9
Cranks - Truvative 175
Pedals - Wellgo V8
Front derailleur - Shimano Alivio -used as chain guide
Rear derailleur - Shimano Alivio 8 speed
Front shifter - None
Rear shifter - Sram Attack
Cassette - 8 speed 11-32
Chainring - 32 tooth
Tyres - Bontrager Earl 26'' x 2.4
Tubes - Yep with green slime

2.jpg

3.jpg

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Even when you get a full sus keep the STP. In my opinion they were one of the best designed frames of the last 10+ years. They work for riding trails, especially tight, techy trails, they are great for street and if you put a 120mm fork on them you can ride some of the less aggressive flow trails as well. Great bike, you will miss it when you don't ride it.

Ideate

I still think they look good. I remember one of my first MTB's was an STP. At one stage I had 180mm Vans on it. Loved it! Keep it!

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
I think I will keep it, the frame does feel a bit small at times but I don't do any all day rides so it's not an issue. I am renovating the house so I am stuck with it for a long time anyway.

I will be looking out for second hand forks, the Marzocchi is ok but would be good to have more travel/adjustability. I have dug through some old threads recommending the Pike 409 or 454. Sounds like what I am after but there doesn't seem to be many around these days.
Ideate
I still think they look good. I remember one of my first MTB's was an STP. At one stage I had 180mm Vans on it. Loved it! Keep it!
180mm! Did that work?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wow, I'd be worried about cracking the head tube off with that kind of leverage.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
180mm seems a tad excessive. And also, as Johnny pointed out, structurally unsound, especially in a frame that old.

Get a 120mm fork on her, and a dropper post, and go nuts.

Ideate

180mm! Did that work?
It did work but obviously made everything wacky.. but I didn't know any different back then. All I remember is it was FUUUUNNN..

I also remember my second bike being super fun (Mongoose Bootr).. maybe it's all relative?

I'll try to find some old pictures so we can all have a laugh :smash:

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
Bargain, I had a Brown and Black one about 10 years ago, mainly for pump track action and a smidge of DJ and BMX, bloody good little bike it was, the frame was actually pretty light considering what it was made for, it's gone now like many of my good bikes.