Bike Carrier that wont reduce a 4WDs departure angle

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
Hello, I'm looking to get a bike carrier that can be used on the 50mm tow-bar hitch of a 4WD. The one I have at the moment scrapes too readily off road. The only one I can find that looks suitable is the isi carrier. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I've got a GripSport hi-ride carrier and it doesn't affect departure angle much.

Mines not for sale but its a good option. :)

Last edited:

Beej1

ISI carriers are designed with departure angle in mind.

As well as withstanding the apocalypse, at a glance.

Plenty of pics on their site of George and others taking their off-road vehicles over serious terrain loaded up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Cheers, it's sold pending pick up at the moment though.

I'd recommend the Gripsport hi-ride tilty.
could you expand on selling the isi and gripsport recommendation? I've been procrastinating about them for years but really want a 4 bike one. My cheap and cheerfull chinese one is still holding together for now, though it got a bit mangled on davies plain trail earlier in the year! haha

I've got a 4x4 wagon so the tilt is highly desirable.. to access in the back.

cheers!

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
ISI do a 4 bike rack http://www.isi-carriers.com/4x4x4/4x4x4_bike-carrier.html

Ive had mine since approx 2010, it's been across the Simpson twice, up the red centre, Tassie ect... it also mounts to my camper trailer. I estimate its done about 80-100,000km either on the car or camper. Still as good as the day I bought it apart from some battle scars.

George also does a rack that carries 2 bikes, then an extension allows you to add another 2, I would go this way as it makes the rack a lot shorter when you only need 1 or 2 bikes.

These racks will last a lifetime.

I have had the 4 bike ISI carrier for a couple years now and love it on the back of my prado with 2" lift. Great customer service too.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I have had the 4 bike ISI carrier for a couple years now and love it on the back of my prado with 2" lift. Great customer service too.

how do you find tilting it down with full load on, not to painful?

also is it a hassle having 4 bike rack when you only use 2 spots mostly?

how do you find tilting it down with full load on, not to painful?

also is it a hassle having 4 bike rack when you only use 2 spots mostly?
The tilting with 4 bikes is a fair old effort. Im on the large side and stiĺl avoid it uness i need to get to the fridge. If you were normal sized or smallish you'd want to do a few squats and deadlifts in prep.

Ive put the hitch receiver on the furthest out mounting hole and it gives me enough room to open the side hinged rear door enough to get to most things without having to tilt. (Its incredibly solidly built which means heavy)

I use it all the time with just 1 bike if its only me - its still easier than taking the front wheel off the bike imo. Also I have a cargo barrier and engel in the boot so cant lay the seats down.

Other nice things is that it cones with a clever bolt sandwiched in plate steel that slodes in the hitch and provides positivee tension against the receiver so theres no rattling of the hitch in the receiver.

I reckon it could do with lights / blinkers cos with 4 bikes on it blocks the tail lights and brake lights a bit -but no one has ever said anything to me about it so figure its not too bad.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The 4x4x2 + expansion pack to make it 4x4x4 (4wd + 4 bikes) is about $130 more expensive than a straight 4x4x4 rack. I would go the 4x4x2 and expansion pack... these racks will last a long time. The size of a 4x4x2 is a lot shorter than the 4 bike rack, if you need the 4 bike space occasionally, add the expansion pack.

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the replies. Just from looking at the company websites it seems that the Gripsport hi-ride tilty would be better for most people; price, ability to fit tow bars other than ones with a 50mm hitch, ease of lifting a loaded rack back up, potential strength of pivot point (due to its location). However for me the two important things are departure angle and access to the back of the vehicle when the rack is down, which the isi look to do better.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What car have you got? If the rear door swings out would the Tilty get out of the way for enough access? whereas for better or worse ISI drops to the ground.

ISI are built pretty tough, but I've known of a few people who got rid of their ISI as it was too much rack. If you got the 4 rack one and used it with 1 or 2 bikes I could def see it happening.

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
What car have you got? If the rear door swings out would the Tilty get out of the way for enough access? whereas for better or worse ISI drops to the ground.

ISI are built pretty tough, but I've known of a few people who got rid of their ISI as it was too much rack. If you got the 4 rack one and used it with 1 or 2 bikes I could def see it happening.
I have a dual cab Rodeo and now also a Mitsubishi Delica, which is a serious 4WD van. I'm looking to use the Delica as a campervan, so the more access I have to the rear of the van the better. A rack that swings to the side would be even better to have unhindered access to the rear. I have seen the 'RAKATTACH' which allows an attached bike carrier to swing to the side, but that adds extra cost and complexity. Actually, come to think of it a non-tilty Grip Sport hi-rise carrier with a RAKATTACH might be a good idea. The RAKATTACH comes from the USA, I wonder if anyone makes something similar locally, or else maybe a local steel fabricator could knock one together for me?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Thanks for all the replies. Just from looking at the company websites it seems that the Gripsport hi-ride tilty would be better for most people; price, ability to fit tow bars other than ones with a 50mm hitch, ease of lifting a loaded rack back up, potential strength of pivot point (due to its location). However for me the two important things are departure angle and access to the back of the vehicle when the rack is down, which the isi look to do better.
If you are 4wd'ing with bikes on the back, the only one to consider is the ISI. That's their bread and butter, 4wd, high intensity use. Gripsport is far lighter duty.

I've got a 2 bike ISI! A 4 bike ISI and have used a few gripsports (bought one for a friend from here) The Chinese takeoffs aren't going to last long, and the Thule is not well thought out.

The price of these racks is nothing in the scheme of things. They will last many cars each of which will costs you $500 to $1000 to put tow bars onto, and will outlast many $5k bikes.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
As above, I think that is what Swaz didn't like (a 4 bike rack when he really only needed 2 and very very occasionally 4)

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to write a full review on the 2 and 4 bike one. In a nut shell though:

Tilting isn't easy
Bikes lay on the ground
Wheel cradles don't move easily
Massive issues with quality control when the 4 bike rack arrived (but was remedied)

The 4 bike option was seriously difficult to lower. It got to the point where I would not use the rack because of this.
The 2 bike option was good, but again, I don't want mine or a mates bike handlebars taking the load when hinged down. When I ported my road bike around I would have to have a soft rag to go under the bar/lever so it didn't get the shit scratched out of it. It all comes down to personal preference I guess. The hinging feature is a main reason why I bought the ISI, then Gripsport came out with the tilty! If you have a Pajero or a 'door' type rear the ISI is a good option.

Gripsport now make a 4 bike tilting rack which is worth a look. You might have to go to their facebook site to see it though. https://www.gripsport.com.au/images/uploads/files/Taco_channel_1.PNG

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
If touring in a fourby I'd be looking at a swing away rack or it would be difficult to access the back. I think Thule do one but it's not high for good clearance. Personally I'd talk to GripSport as they seem able to customise to fit your needs.