If you want to Ride Kowen/Sparrow now is the time

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Are they really developing proper trails at the Arboretum?

Would be a stunning spot for it. But surely they'd be dumbed down family type trails.

I love that place. Any excuse for the chicken pie...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I just saw this on the Kowalski page:

From 2008–2016, we concentrated our efforts on Sparrow Hill and East Kowen (in close association with fellow trail building legend Paul Cole). All of the trails in East Kowen have been developed by Kowalskis and Paul Cole. In fact before we started, this area contained no mtb trails at all. Since starting our good work in East Kowen we have worked virtually non stop designing and building a major network of trails that has seen the venue grow to enjoy immense popularity for mountain bikers. Many of the trails ride so well they are becoming the stuff of legend.

The next 5 years: As any good Kowalski would know, Greenhills (now the National Arboretum Canberra) is our ancestral home. It was the place where we began kicking in trail over 25 years ago and many a good trail was imagined, built and ridden before the fires turned them all to ash. We’ve always wanted to get back there to draw fresh lines in the hillside and thankfully that time is now!

Over the past 18 months, we’ve been in discussion with the Arboretum regarding trail development and we are excited to announce the Kowalski Brothers have been appointed their official volunteer trail building group. This partnership will see the Kowalskis lead the development of volunteer-built trails throughout the Arboretum precinct for the enjoyment of walkers, runners and mountain bike riders alike. Exciting times!

Over the next 5 years, approximately 25km of trail will be built and work will begin in late May 2017. Be part of it. Join our trail crew today…
So not sure what the details are...

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Sounds interesting, although the reference to walkers and runners suggests it won't be quite what I'd like ideally.

I think I'll sign up and go and help out though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Did about 20kms out there today, I will miss those trails.. :pout: They are so so good. Beer Garden and Slideshow are works of art.

Mont24Team

Likes Bikes
Are they really developing proper trails at the Arboretum?
Would be a stunning spot for it. But surely they'd be dumbed down family type trails.
The trail network will unfold over the coming years, and will be shared type trails (suitable for riders, runners and walkers).
This doesn't mean they will be unsuitable for mountain biking, but they will be (by virtue of the venue) tamer.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...o-the-national-arboretum-20170525-gwdjo5.html

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Wednesday people - if you want to ride them, you'll need to take an afternoon off work today or tomorrow...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Can someone confirm what, if anything, will be ridable once the logging commences?

Will there be sections open and a new route marked?

My Kowalski Trail Buddy app updated itself the other day but still shows a lot of trail that I assume is marked for destruction.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
My take is that all the affected sections will be off limits once operations commence, and then the trails will be mangled by dozers and buried under debris. And they wont be rebuilt.

I took the opportunity yesterday to enjoy them one last time. Smashed a credible 3rd best personal time down Far East Freeway - there is just something about that descent that ticks so many boxes - particularly that little double dip about 2/3 of the way down on a really fast section. Its not spectacular, but with the speed you're carrying its a hoot!

I even overcame that one last jump on the Beer Garden that has intimidated me for some reason.

I'll really miss them....

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
So I did some digging and found this on face book, which was annoying because I'm not on face book and a thing kept popping up trying to get me to sign up.

Attachments

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It'd be good to get some sort of official word from Alan or somebody else in the know about whether we can show up to the trail head and ride things outside the affected zone as normal.

Although according to a terse sounding message on the Facebook it seems logging started today, two days earlier than advised. So maybe best stay away for now?

I'd be more than happy to lend a hand with any trail works required to form a new boundary of the rideable area, if that's something that's happening.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Still plenty of great trails its true. I just had a real love for the Beer Garden and the Far East trails... They could have wiped out most of the entire Sparrow side and I'd have gone meh.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
It'd be good to get some sort of official word from Alan or somebody else in the know about whether we can show up to the trail head and ride things outside the affected zone as normal.

Although according to a terse sounding message on the Facebook it seems logging started today, two days earlier than advised. So maybe best stay away for now?

I'd be more than happy to lend a hand with any trail works required to form a new boundary of the rideable area, if that's something that's happening.
I'm no official word, but there won't be any dramas showing up and riding the unaffected trails as normal, they're (currently) not impacted or closed.

I'm pissed they started early...I couldn't make it on the weekend, and had arranged a day off tomorrow to head out and have one last ride out there. Too late now :(

peanut

Likes Dirt
I was out there on sunday, unfortunately the start of the beer garden has left this world, probably the rest by now.
No entry Signs are up on the top gate & main fenceline. so i'd say everything on that side of the hills is now off limits.

There's still plenty of trail left to ride on the orchid road side of the hills.
I was going to try a stairway/bloodnut/romper/web-rolling thunder/stairway/yippie/love child or romper/sideshow multi loop next time, my legs won't be happy.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yep, I'm keen to continue my quest to ride Stairway to the top without putting a foot down. I only just conquered Ant Pinch at Majura last weekend (that final turn always fucked me, super steep and a little loose just as your legs were starting to burn).