Feedback on evil the calling?

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Hey all, anyone ridden evils the calling?
Chasing a bit of feedback if possible.
Trying to suss out how it'd compare to the ibis mojo hd3 I'm currently on.
Cheers
Joel

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
What are you missing from the HD3 that you feel the Evil will offer? I'm interested to know - the HD3 is still rated as one of the "best"... so changing bikes may actually make very little difference!

MRO

Likes Dirt
A mate of mine just got decline on a warranty claim on his Wreckoning. Depsite the frame being imaculate with no other marks on it they claimed the cracked carbon was due to crash damage and refused to fix his new frame with only 300km on it. I would research the warranty and service offered by Evil to confirm it matches what you are looking for when you buy a top end frame.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
A mate of mine just got decline on a warranty claim on his Wreckoning. Depsite the frame being imaculate with no other marks on it they claimed the cracked carbon was due to crash damage and refused to fix his new frame with only 300km on it. I would research the warranty and service offered by Evil to confirm it matches what you are looking for when you buy a top end frame.
Got any photos?

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
The main thing drawing me to the calling is the extra 20mm reach.
Always feel a bit cramped on the hd3 with a 60mm stem and large frame.
Don't want to go longer on the stem and I'm only 5'11 so shouldn't have to be on an XL.
But yeah big effort to change over for bit of extra reach.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
The main thing drawing me to the calling is the extra 20mm reach.
Always feel a bit cramped on the hd3 with a 60mm stem and large frame.
Don't want to go longer on the stem and I'm only 5'11 so shouldn't have to be on an XL.
But yeah big effort to change over for bit of extra reach.

Don't get hung up on frame sizes. It doesn't mean anything.
Some bikes have larger medium sizes than other brands' large sizes. The important thing is that it fits YOU.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Yeah that does look the goods! Finally got reach aligned with other manufactures.
I read the Pinkbike review and kinda though the writer may have preferred the old hd3?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Where's the crack? Is he fighting that decision? He should dispute it if he legitimately didn't crash it..
Sorry OP can't comment on the Calling, but can also recommend from experience checking out Evils customer service and warranty policy before you buy.. I know things have improved since my experience, but it was still enough to sway me away after almost pulling the trigger not long ago. Saying that, some have had great experiences.. just that others haven't.

MRO

Likes Dirt

Some pics of the cracked rear triangle that was refused warranty due to claimed 'crash damage'.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Looks like impact damage to me, not necessarily from a crash...but an impact from something?

I similarly damaged the rear triangle on my Tallboy carbon when a stick flung up & hit it hard.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a difficult one. On one side I can see (albeit in the photo alone) that the bike looks well preserved + maintained. The site of the crack looks just like some of my carbon frame cracks which have all been warrantied.

From an impact wouldn't one expect to see marks and fracturing around the site?

I'd hate to work in warranty and have to decide who's getting accepted or declined.

Good luck with getting it resolved. What's the next step with them? Are they at least open to discussion or is it a great big get stuffed and we've got your money?

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone can keep a frame clean and shiny. Doesn't mean it hasn't had the shit ridden out of it. Having owned an Evil they are an endless pit of maintenance, specifically the bearings in the links. Based purely on the amount of play the rear end used to get and the endless beating swaps I was doing I would never buy another or recommend them to anyone.

I did buy a new front triangle off them once to go up a size and it was pretty cheap and a fairly easy experience. That crack lools like an impact to me, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Many break at that point, some long threads about this on MTBR and Singletracks.

At least overseas the warranty denied decisions are being made without a frame inspection, only from photos. Dodgy as.

The carbon in that spot is very thin, a frame in the UK was deigned warranty and an independent mob said it was from the wheel twisting the stays... because they are not robust enough.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Many break at that point, some long threads about this on MTBR and Singletracks.

At least overseas the warranty denied decisions are being made without a frame inspection, only from photos. Dodgy as.

The carbon in that spot is very thin, a frame in the UK was deigned warranty and an independent mob said it was from the wheel twisting the stays... because they are not robust enough.
Interesting you say that, as it appears there is tyre rub on the inside of the swingarm

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Interesting you say that, as it appears there is tyre rub on the inside of the swingarm
Have a google of evil bikes failures mtbr - long thread on it, I'm taking what I have read at face value.

If the tyres aren't a real tight fit... Occams razor, the simplest explanation is typically the correct one, or something like that.

The wheel and through axle acts as a lever, the stays flex outwards and it cracks on the outside, people have reported being able to flex the stays enough by squeezing with fingers enough to hear fibres cracking. Sounds like a QA issue, regardless, getting warranty seems a very mixed bag - and they are basing decision off only photos (?), enough to scare me off buying one.

teK--

Eats Squid
I read in a mag interview with Evil that they don't test frames to destruction as part of R&D... They just get their customers to do the R&D I suppose.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Anyone can keep a frame clean and shiny. Doesn't mean it hasn't had the shit ridden out of it. Having owned an Evil they are an endless pit of maintenance, specifically the bearings in the links. Based purely on the amount of play the rear end used to get and the endless beating swaps I was doing I would never buy another or recommend them to anyone.

I did buy a new front triangle off them once to go up a size and it was pretty cheap and a fairly easy experience. That crack lools like an impact to me, but I'm no expert on the subject.
Did you one of the previous models from the bad days? Uprising/Undead did have undersized bearings that didn't last long. I changed my bearings after a year and they were still okay. Just did them for peace of mind.

I've had my Insurgent for 18months. Destroyed the first frame in 6 months but riding it into a tree (I recommend bike insurance) My experience has been great. But as with every brand there are the bad stories that stand more than the good ones. Hopefully there's a reasonable outcome.