GST threshold for imports to be lowered

will2

Likes Dirt
My staff travel (Emirates) is going to get a workout if so. I need to spend $2000 at CRC and wouldn't mind a week or so in London with mates. Done and Done!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Whoah people, slow down

Not collected by customs, collected by retailer. SO, you buy from wiggle, wiggle pay the Aus govt GST, and no interception by customs at all.

Thinks they can do this because of agreements throughout the g20 for tax collection.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Whoah people, slow down

Not collected by customs, collected by retailer. SO, you buy from wiggle, wiggle pay the Aus govt GST, and no interception by customs at all.

Thinks they can do this because of agreements throughout the g20 for tax collection.
In this situation, a lot of small and medium retailers will refuse to ship to Australia, as it just gets too complicated for them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They cant police it 100%, so packages from .eg Taiwan, Singapore, Alaska and other random places will still come through without GST added/collected. Surely they wont let these through without pre delivery payment.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
They cant police it 100%, so packages from .eg Taiwan, Singapore, Alaska and other random places will still come through without GST added/collected. Surely they wont let these through without pre delivery payment.
Alaska? I think they still consider themselves a state if the USA.

It'll bring on alibaba and eBay for the chinese I'd say - then customs do have to decide if they will intercept it all.

When one door closes another one opens somewhere .

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
In this situation, a lot of small and medium retailers will refuse to ship to Australia, as it just gets too complicated for them.
there's enough of that already in the U.S.

Suspect the 5% import duty wouldn't be part of it though - that's a whole different ballgame given the free trade agreements and technicalities of import duty

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've dealt with a small shop in the Alaskan back sticks on 2 occasions when buying fat bike gear (4 years ago before it was hipster), I can tell you it didn't get more primitive than dealing with them.

From what I read it will be the retailer themselves that collects 10% or whatever extra, then pay's that to Aus.

Good luck to them, we have enjoyed the $1000 threshold for a few years... great idea to raise it from $250 back in 2008 to $1000 anyway, what was their reasoning back then ?

Gerry Harvey's Christmas has came early, tax the people more to raise his profits.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I've dealt with a small shop in the Alaskan back sticks on 2 occasions when buying fat bike gear (4 years ago before it was hipster), I can tell you it didn't get more primitive than dealing with them.

From what I read it will be the retailer themselves that collects 10% or whatever extra, then pay's that to Aus.

Good luck to them, we have enjoyed the $1000 threshold for a few years... great idea to raise it from $250 back in 2008 to $1000 anyway, what was their reasoning back then ?

Gerry Harvey's Christmas has came early, tax the people more to raise his profits.
Umm, GST threshold has always been $1000. Back in 2005 there was a 2 tiered system of $250 threshold for freight, but $1000 for items coming by mail ( I know this because I got caught once with an oversize package considered freight not mail). So in 2005 they were aligned, but to a consumer it's always been $1000 ( except if you used a freight forwarder rather than door to door delivery )

For some perspective, the $250 amount was set in 1976 and is the equivalent of nearly $2000 now - this was of course relevant at the time for import duties not for GST. When GST was introduced it was aligned with the current requirements of customs and excise rules to minimise change.

stirk

Burner
Anyone who shops at Harvey Norman deserves what they get.
I didn't think anyone did shop there hence Gerry has been whining about online stores instead of realising the real problem with his stores is overpricing and crap service.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Currently Trying to buy a xx1 groupset from Harvey Norman is a joke, once this system comes in I'm sure it will be much easier!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I didn't think anyone did shop there hence Gerry has been whining about online stores instead of realising the real problem with his stores is overpricing and crap service.

Some buyers want nothing more then a logistics service, i.e most of us here who buy our bike parts from CRC, and then there are others who need the LBS to change a tube.

Thanks to the Internet, less people need Gerry Harvey to hold their hand, preventing him from charging top dollar for the service.

The smart manufacturers have moved on to selling direct, this is the next frontier for online commerce.

stirk

Burner
I've actually gone to Harvey Norman recently to buy a fridge, wanted to touch and feel different brands before making a purchase. I didn't get much help from floor staff, maybe I don't look like I have money, they didn't make a sale.

Ended up saving 300 bucks buying from appliancesonline, they help install and take the packaging away.

Paid my gst too.

Minlak

custom titis
Just use freight forwarders. You are getting a package of items you already own. Nothing to declare.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just use freight forwarders. You are getting a package of items you already own. Nothing to declare.
Must be time to start a thread that lists good freight forwarders.

The whole thing is a bit of a non-event. 10% isn't shit compared to the savings made from using overseas bike shops. While I am disappointed it is happening, it is unlikely to change where i shop.

paulb

Likes Dirt
That's what I'm thinking too. Still a win for the Gerry Harveys. It's not the 10%, it's the cost of applying it. For everyone except the big players it will be just too difficult so they won't sell to us. And the big players will factor the compliance cost into the australian price. If there's one thing this government can do well it's stuffing things up - just as well that stuffing things up to help their backers is their raison d'etre.