GST threshold for imports to be lowered

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So how does govt implement this?

I buy from Company X in country Y - Aust Govt says to Company X "you owe me 10% of that purchase" - Company X replies "go fuck yourself".

Can the govt then block imports from Company X until it pays its dues? How does the Aust govt know what company X owes, exactly? Can Company X just change its name to Company X.1 and continue selling GST free?

Probably already discussed in the threat above, by yeah, see reply from Company X for guidance.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
still a compliance mess. we'll be gong back to the old days, getting my friends in the states to consolidate shipments.
As much as I loave it, I think the GST collection is somewhat reasonable, even if the means are a bit silly. However the reason why people will never support it because it's simply a one way valve to stooge the consumer. If they coupled the GST stuff and say also put in tough measures to ensure we are not geoblocked by the likes of mavic, sram or price gouged by the likes of adobe and apple, then maybe they would get more support for it as it's a lot more equitable. Also relax vehicle parallel imports on cars and open it right up. I'd happily pay 10% gst on a used vehicle from UK than the prices we pay here.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Load of BS. Greedy distributors make people try to source products OS, amongst other reasons.

At what threshold does import duty and all that other shit kick in, to punish the consumer who simply hates getting ripped off??

people will continue to buy OS, as it will still be cheaper with GST.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
So how does govt implement this?

I buy from Company X in country Y - Aust Govt says to Company X "you owe me 10% of that purchase" - Company X replies "go fuck yourself".

Can the govt then block imports from Company X until it pays its dues? How does the Aust govt know what company X owes, exactly? Can Company X just change its name to Company X.1 and continue selling GST free?

Probably already discussed in the threat above, by yeah, see reply from Company X for guidance.
Yes.

I think that there will be three types of o/s trading scenarios:

1. Companies that sell to Straya & pass on the collected GST to the Straya govt
2. Companies that stop selling to Straya as it's too fucking hard
3. Companies as described by you, "fuck ya Straya govt" and still send the product out...but it could be intercepted by Strayan customs for GST payment

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You're comparing apples with oranges. The company and the country can't both be alphabetic characters.

As much as I loave it, I think the GST collection is somewhat reasonable, even if the means are a bit silly. However the reason why people will never support it because it's simply a one way valve to stooge the consumer. If they coupled the GST stuff and say also put in tough measures to ensure we are not geoblocked by the likes of mavic, sram or price gouged by the likes of adobe and apple, then maybe they would get more support for it as it's a lot more equitable. Also relax vehicle parallel imports on cars and open it right up. I'd happily pay 10% gst on a used vehicle from UK than the prices we pay here.
When the gst came in it replaced/consolidated a number of other taxes. The government also made a variety of concessions/incentives to business to help them get ready for gst.

What are they going to do to help foreign businesses prepare?

At some point the amount of gst collected will be less than the effort of collecting it. When will the government decide what the collection cut off is?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The govmnt used to say under $1000 it cost more to collect than it generated.
Just a guess but the way data matching/automation/ML/AI/IOT is going, should be theoretically be getting cheaper to let the bots do the work & police the exceptions. Or maybe give 457s out for the role. Zingggg!!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Just a guess but the way data matching/automation/ML/AI/IOT is going, should be theoretically be getting cheaper to let the bots do the work & police the exceptions. Or maybe give 457s out for the role. Zingggg!!
Pfft. Rookie.

Make all the shipping go through Manus and then those detention folks can process them for free.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The govmnt used to say under $1000 it cost more to collect than it generated.
I'd like to see the designed process/es undergo a cost assessment as currently it just looks like sacking Gerry Harvey's fat arsehole.

Agree, I'll happily pay the GST on an item if I can purchase it for the same price as the yanks.

Though I think its the manufacturers that jack the price not the distributer.
Maybe both? But I reckon the price gouging is a local issue and partly justifiable. Look at how much a box packer in a warehouse is paid here compared to the USA. Or how much additional shipping is required to get products here from Asia, Europe, or USA. And of course market size. However greed is still a part of it as well, perhaps not so much with newer and smaller operators, but how does a big company that has been trading on a big mark up for 30+ years suddenly undertake a complete pricing restructure without going under? It can be done but is a risky operation. And you know...I love my Ferrari.

I worked in government during some huge technology upgrades (one was proudly professed as the largest ever in Australia) and system overhauls, all were said to be bringing in greater efficiencies and lower costs...none did. Ever. Or so the boss would always claim when it was time to negotiate a new agreement...

You can however get it cheaper by using an external provider that screws down their workers, as you have eluded to. More and more government work has been outsourced that was once either too important knowledge to loose from a regulator or too private for circulation outside of departments. You also need to be a citizen to work in the public service, which Peter Dutton is definitely against the increase of. So outsource it is and we shall have backpackers and those chasing a better life for those at home working as virtual slaves because we have a shortage of workers here already.

Pfft. Rookie.

Make all the shipping go through Manus and then those detention folks can process them for free.
Free? Bullshit! They will be repaying the debt they owe to us for our generous hospitality and kindness by helping them in their quest to find a better life.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Fucking millionaires! Trying to buy their way in...
Just think of all the booze and smokes they have now, no need to leave the island and all is good.

After they paid the lawyers and what not, I was told that they were left with 35 grand each. Not sure how accurate the info was but it wouldn't surprise me if it was close to that figure.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just think of all the booze and smokes they have now, no need to leave the island and all is good.

After they paid the lawyers and what not, I was told that they were left with 35 grand each. Not sure how accurate the info was but it wouldn't surprise me if it was close to that figure.
70mil(plus costs to cover the action which was ~20mil...) between 1900 people is on average is 36k, although i believe it was prorated based on time spent in detention.

Flow-Rider

Burner
70mil(plus costs to cover the action which was ~20mil...) between 1900 people is on average is 36k, although i believe it was prorated based on time spent in detention.
That's a large chunk of tax payers money that may have been spent a little wiser than that. I wonder if any of them went back home with the money.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Well our government did treat them like shit for a long period of time...

That's a large chunk of tax payers money that may have been spent a little wiser than that. I wonder if any of them went back home with the money.
The inexpensive act of treating them humanly and processing their applications in a timely manner would probably have been an easy way to avoid that cost. I'd imagine that most of them would trade that money for 5 minutes alone with people like Amanda Vanstone and Peter Dutton.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The money that has been spent to win some votes by being harsh to others is mind fucking.