Bike Servicing Chinese Carbon Frame?

Zam

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,

Just looking into buying bike with Chinese Carbon frame but all legit components.

Has anyone had any issues with LBS and getting bikes services when have a carbon frame, just been researching on the web and some people say some LBS arent servicing their bikes due to having non branded frames.

any feedback welcome.

Cheers

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
most lbs i know are fine -there are a couple of nose in th air types just avoid them. i think shops make most income from servicing, not from sales [due to internet ] so thats where the money should be for them

safreek

If they won't do the service tell them to get rooted, you don't need to deal with wankers like that. Probably shit mechanics as well. Snob pricks

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
If an LBS said they wouldn't service a bike due to the brand..... I'd tell them to go and eat a big fat bag of dicks.

Majority of carbon frames are made in China anyway.......

Better still.... learn to service your own bike.....

Zam

Likes Dirt
Yeah cool thanks guys, thats what i was thinking as well.

Also, i dont mind tinkering with my bikes so doing most of the work myself isnt such as issue, just was thinking on the off chance i am stuck for time or something does does wrong i have some support.

Cheers

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Sound like a right bunch of snobbish wankers. Go in there and ask them what exactly what part of a frame you service? At the end of the day bikes are a comprised of a bunch of serviceable components fitted to a frame!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I can see why some LBS will not touch them as I've owned one myself. The import frames are sometimes hard to get any info on torque values and repair procedures, parts like pivot pins are near impossible to get and you need to get online and spend hours cross referencing parts with aftermarket ones. When the parts are available it can take months on end to get them here.

It shouldn't be all that hard to do a basic service on one but outside of that they might run into problems. You need to ask your shop first before purchase because they will be the ones dealing with it. A hard tail frame is less problematic than a dual susp type frame for the obvious reasons that I stated above.

I will suggest that you get a couple of spare derailleur hangers for it, if you decide to go through with it.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe try and find one that states on their website 'Services all makes and models" if think you may encounter a w4nker shop.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Sorry stupid question but:

Are you building this bike up yourself? I'm just confused because it's weird that you plan to build up a Chinese frame bike but don't want to service it yourself. Am I missing something?

*Edit, oh right just re-read. Looks like you are buying a bike already built up. Carry on :D

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Even know a local wheelbuilder who refuses to build Chinese carbon wheels. A bit strange as Nextie wheels are getting pretty mainstream.

Its a case of adapt and change, don't fight the market or your business might suffer.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even know a local wheelbuilder who refuses to build Chinese carbon wheels. A bit strange as Nextie wheels are getting pretty mainstream.

Its a case of adapt and change, don't fight the market or your business might suffer.
Must be allergic to making money then

scblack

Leucocholic
A few years ago I had a Chinarello roadie, and one Pinarello dealer refused to service it. Kinda fair enough but that was stickered up. If I had bought a plain frame, I would have been very angry.

If you have a plain chinese made road bike or parts, why the hell would any LBS possibly refuse to service it? Its a bike, same as any brand you buy from other shops.

If a shop refused service I would be going elsewhere for sure.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Go the way of print news and Blockbuster Video if you don't want to change.

teK--

Eats Squid

Maybe they've had bad experiences.

E.g. customer cracks a rim, tries to get warranty or crash replacement, but the manufacturer blames the wheelbuilder.

Mica

Likes Dirt
Would be pretty easy for a shop to tell the customer "all care, no responsibility" for unsupported/unbranded parts and document it with signage, receipts and verbal.

Unless gross negligence can be proven (ie significant over torque etc) no reason they can't service it with minimal risk, except for the general high level of incompetence shown in a number of stores.

That said any store can refuse work if they wish but I just don't see the point of turning away a customer.

damo666

Likes Dirt
Seen similar with many surfboard repairers who wont attempt to fix cheap Chinese pop-out boards.
Its mostly to do with the sh*tty construction methods used which makes attempting repairs twice as hard as it should be. I can imagine shonky bike frames/builds would be even worse to try and make right.

Fair enough I reckon.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ok, I have 9 sets of Nextie wheels and am a bit of a Brand Ambassador for them so slightly biased.

I have bought about 8-10 sets for mates of mine and they are friggin hallions, lazy low pressures and carbon dont really mix, you have to be on top of your tyre pressure game at all times, when you find your perfect pressure, get them up there each ride. So a few of the blokes cracked rims on rocks... rims replaced no worries within 3 weeks (delivered). A little bit better than my 4 month wait for a 2009 Spech Enduro E150 fork.

Saying that, I have also had good support from ENVE on the set of wheels I have of theirs, they replaced both rims on separate incidents, so Kudos to them.

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
So a few of the blokes cracked rims on rocks... rims replaced no worries within 3 weeks (delivered)Saying that, I have also had good support from ENVE on the set of wheels I have of theirs, they replaced both rims on separate incidents, so Kudos to them.
Gotta be happy with that, I cracked a Reynolds AM rim and was given a ''good price'' on a pair of wheels that was not really a good price. Back on good old alloy now.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ok, I have 9 sets of Nextie wheels and am a bit of a Brand Ambassador for them so slightly biased.

I have bought about 8-10 sets for mates of mine and they are friggin hallions, lazy low pressures and carbon dont really mix, you have to be on top of your tyre pressure game at all times, when you find your perfect pressure, get them up there each ride. So a few of the blokes cracked rims on rocks... rims replaced no worries within 3 weeks (delivered). A little bit better than my 4 month wait for a 2009 Spech Enduro E150 fork.

Saying that, I have also had good support from ENVE on the set of wheels I have of theirs, they replaced both rims on separate incidents, so Kudos to them.
I think you're talking a different kettle of fish here as the retailer for Nextie is in Aus and has to comply with our consumer laws unlike some of the Chinese frames that are purchased directly online from an overseas vendor. I would say there may be some other political crap happening in the background with people not wanting to work with that brand of rim.