2018 Trek Stache, other bikes not coming to Aus?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A little birdy has told me that the 2018 Trek Stache (29+ hardtail) won't be coming to Australia this year due to it having no FD or chainguide, so it can't be sold here?!

Wouldn't the new Spec Epic and Giant Anthem should have same issue? Anyone shed some light on this? I was looking really hard at the Stache......

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
A little birdy has told me that the 2018 Trek Stache (29+ hardtail) won't be coming to Australia this year due to it having no FD or chainguide, so it can't be sold here?!

Wouldn't the new Spec Epic and Giant Anthem should have same issue? Anyone shed some light on this? I was looking really hard at the Stache......
Me too.

What difference does no FD or chainguide matter to anyone?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this Trek trying to say it is not our decision. My guess is that the plus and fat bikes don't sell enough here for the big brands. Riders of these bikes in Aus tend to go for the more boutique brands as they are not that much more in price.

Z

Zaf

Trek were always a little funny with which rules they chose to listen to with Aus laws.
They were also speccing 680mm handlebars for this market on most every bike to fall in line with that retarded "nothing above 700mm" writing somewhere as well.

MRO

Likes Dirt
Trek are fading as a major brand in Aus. In WA they have no test ride fleet and when I was looking at a new Slash29 there was virtually no stock and wasnt likely to get any soon. Total contrast to Spec and Giant who seem to be smashing it with stock, test rides and general presence in the market.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nanny state consumer legislation.
So there actually is a law that says the front ring has to be secured in some way? I mean, I know that law is not actually rational but if it's illegal to import bikes built like that then it should also be illegal to own something similar, right?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I was told by a trek dealer about a month ago that it was in fact nanny state legislation. I then promptly asked if I could buy one of the 'broken' non compliant objects that are shaped like bicycles for a discounted price since they were not able to sell a bicycle under law.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Don't they sell most real bikes without pedals so that they don't have to fit reflectors as it isn't a complete bike? They should be able to do the same thing if they were so inclined when it comes to chain retention systems.

I ride a 2016 Stache and love it. Having said that I got it discounted by a fair bit when I got it so it's possible that they aren't selling many. I haven't seen a Stache around the Sydney trails and only a handful of bikes on plus tyres. Personally I think they suit the conditions here pretty well.

Cam070695

Likes Dirt
It has something to do with not having the option to fit a chain guide, e.g.. ISG Tabs or FR der mount...... BS legislation in aus.