knees but no elbows

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
protection is what I'm talking about! Noticing that more than a few riders both locally and on the interwebs that riders are ring with knee pads but no elbow pads or vice versa. Mostly though it's knee pads only?

Anyone care to suggest why? If I think pads are necessary I wear both not just one. One of those thing's I've been wondering for a while.

Oh, and why do people wear goggles? Stones, sunnier fall off, because everyone else does?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Goggles/eye protection is a no brainer...

I'll wear knees if doing any serious gravity, sometimes elbows if taking big risks.. xc riding, neither.

That said, this was today's effort at the skate park, bunny hop gone wrong! Wish I had padded up, but still would have the fractured ribs!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Goggles/eye protection is a no brainer...

I'll wear knees if doing any serious gravity, sometimes elbows if taking big risks.. xc riding, neither.

That said, this was today's effort at the skate park, bunny hop gone wrong! Wish I had padded up, but still would have the fractured ribs!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Ouch!

I get what eye protection does, but goggles v sunnies. Why goggles?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I use knee pads pretty regularly these days , the elbow pads come on for the technical downhill riding. The problem with padding up here in the Qld summer is that it's dam hot and even in the early mornings. When you have a large scrape the worst thing is the down time from not getting out on the trails. I also run more heavy duty knee pads for the really rocky gnarly trails.

You're always going to run the risk of self harm even with all the gear. Beginning of this year I had a smallish log flick up from the front wheel and spear into my ankle. Some days I question myself question why I mountain bike.

leg.jpg

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use knee pads pretty regularly these days , the elbow pads come on for the technical downhill riding. The problem with padding up here in the Qld summer is that it's dam hot and even in the early mornings. When you have a large scrape the worst thing is the down time from not getting out on the trails. I also run more heavy duty knee pads for the really rocky gnarly trails.

You're always going to run the risk of self harm even with all the gear. Beginning of this year I had a smallish log flick up from the front wheel and spear into my ankle. Some days I question myself question why I mountain bike.

View attachment 338751
So why do you use knee pads and not elbow ones? Heat or is there less risk of injury to an elbow than a knee?

Watching practice of the WC is Lenzerheide and most seem to be not wearing elbow pads but it's rocky AF.

Flow-Rider

Burner
So why do you use knee pads and not elbow ones? Heat or is there less risk of injury to an elbow than a knee?

Watching practice of the WC is Lenzerheide and most seem to be not wearing elbow pads but it's rocky AF.
Yes to be a bit cooler is one. Most falls I've had I put my knees down first and it takes most of the impact, not always the case though. If I hurt my knees, walking and rider is a lot harder and I can sort of put up with the elbows most of the time.

I have no idea why WC riders don't, I even see some of the local pro riders without elbow pads also.

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
As I get older I wear more padding. That said, I still do all the shit your asking.

Tame trails = no knee pads, no elbow pads and half shell lid
Trails with a couple of jumps and tight tree sections = knee pads, no elbow pads and half shell lid
Trails with lots of jumps and small section or rock garden = knee pads, elbow pads, half shell lid
Shuttle days on DH tracks = knee and elbow pads, full face lid and goggles cause... well... now that you ask, I suppose it's cause that's what others are doing and I'm easily influenced.

I suppose the pad thing for me is from experience. When I crash, I am more likely to smash a knee than an elbow so, as the risk of a stack rises, that's the first area I cover.

Interestingly, the first time I wore elbow pads, I used them and the first time I wore a full face, I kissed the dirt. For these reasons, I am never wearing a neck brace

John U

MTB Precision
Always wear gloves and helmet. The bits on me that take the most damage are elbows/forearms (as above) and hips.

I only ever wear knee/shin pads when riding with flats. These have save me from the odd pedal strike on the shins. Not sure that I've ever had a major impact on the knees.

All this probably relates to the way I stack rather than the way I ride. Washing out for me is going to have biggest/heaviest/most forceful impact at forearms, elbows, and hips. Never been too worried about my knees.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
You can ride your bike with a sore elbow.... a sore knee makes it more difficult.

I always wear knee protection.... I never wear elbow pads. I've lost enough bark off my knees to have me learn my lesson. I always feel that my knees are more exposed than my elbows.(I generally wear 3/4 or full length sleeves). Saying that, I have had elbow damage but it's never enough to stop me from riding.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I get what eye protection does, but goggles v sunnies. Why goggles?
goggles are more comfortable and better protection and vision. Probably overkill for most riding as its not like motocross where you can wear a stone in the eye from someones roost.
I only wear goggles when racing or doing a shuttle day somewhere, for casual riding the shooting sunnies are perfect.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Helmet, gloves, knee-high. I've cut legs and hands up pretty good with and with out them. Elbows seem to get off lucky.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
goggles cause... well... now that you ask, I suppose it's cause that's what others are doing and I'm easily influenced.
You're not the first person to say this, almost exactly the same as others I have asked in person.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
You're not the first person to say this, almost exactly the same as others I have asked in person.
In fairness that can be said for mtb specific jerseys, shorts, peaked helmets, flat soled mtb specific shoes... blah blah blah.

I don't wear glasses or goggles in general.... but if I raced DH or gravity enduro I would....

There are a few reasons....

A. Dust - goggles will be far more effective at keeping dust and small debris out of your peepers while hurtling descents at warp speed than sunnies or nothing.
B. Mud - see above. Also can use tears offs or roll offs.
C. Vision - while pinned..... glare/light changes can be an issue. Goggles give you a better field of view and more lens options (in general) than sunnies.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk