2017 Tour de France

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Hope Cavendish was watching the finish last night and noted what Michael Matthews did when he was blocked out. Would be incredibly frustrating but not worth elbowing someone out of the way and probably causing a crash! Looked like he could've seriously challenged Kittel, good to see him up there on a flat finish

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Hope Cavendish was watching the finish last night and noted what Michael Matthews did when he was blocked out. Would be incredibly frustrating but not worth elbowing someone out of the way and probably causing a crash! Looked like he could've seriously challenged Kittel, good to see him up there on a flat finish
The best contribution Mark Cavendish could make to world cycling would be to contract Ebola and die. He is an absolute shitstain. Youtube is filled with his stupid antics.

ForkinGreat

More on 'ettiquette' by Greg LeMond - three-time TdF winner. I respect his opinion, it makes sense.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cycling-france-lemond-idUSKBN19W28W

Also, a very interesting slo-mo video on the Cav-spazz incident. Watch for the french guy Demare weaving all over the frikken road like a chimpanzee on meth, almost causing Bouhani to crash. The rules state that you have to hold your line once the sprint starts. Demare got off scott free. what a fuckwit.
How rigged was that ?!?!?

[video=youtube;t0mMQQ1BWbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mMQQ1BWbs[/video]

ForkinGreat

Funk off! How much is Sky paying the rest of them for waiting for Froome.
+1. As LeMond said, they have forgotten how to race.

As long as the other riders are content with scraps and are too scared to actually race, Sky will keep shitting on them from a great height.

ForkinGreat

I think I awoke everyone in the house yelling out "attack, attack, attaaaaack!!!"

It sounds a bit strange and I bet some people will doubt it's a legit race again, well I am.
Yeah, pretty much. I stomped off to the kitchen and did the dishes and saucepans in disgust. Even the commentators were questioning WTF are they not attacking for?!?!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I fell asleep last night and missed all that action ^^^

Also, a very interesting slo-mo video on the Cav-spazz incident. Watch for the french guy Demare weaving all over the frikken road like a chimpanzee on meth, almost causing Bouhani to crash. The rules state that you have to hold your line once the sprint starts. Demare got off scott free. what a fuckwit.
How rigged was that ?!?!?

[video=youtube;t0mMQQ1BWbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mMQQ1BWbs[/video]
I don't have a dog in this fight but I've heard say that Cav was hipped out of the way and the elbow was more Sagan keeping his balance after shunting Cav.

I also heard of two guys getting pulled apart after the finish line, originally that it was Richey and some one else. Now, after looking at that it might have been Demare and Bouhani butting helmets.

ForkinGreat

I fell asleep last night and missed all that action ^^^

I don't have a dog in this fight but I've heard say that Cav was hipped out of the way and the elbow was more Sagan keeping his balance after shunting Cav.

I also heard of two guys getting pulled apart after the finish line, originally that it was Richey and some one else. Now, after looking at that it might have been Demare and Bouhani butting helmets.
Cav-spazz leaned on Sagan with his head, trying to open a gap by pushing him leftwards. When Sagan's elbow came out, Cav-spazz was already on the way to the ground.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sagan was moving into him though, Sagan was moving to his right before Cav laid his head out.

I also think that clip needs to start earlier than it does to get a better understanding of what happened.

Again, I don't have an opinion on either of these riders, who was wrong or right or what the outcome should be. I'm just analysing what I can see.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The last climb to the finish line yesterday hurt my legs watching it. Agree with the above, I wish the other teams would get a backbone and challenge to race via all sorts of strategies vs. predictable towing the line and proxy support. So I was happy to see CF lose the jersey last night. Funny that the commentators castigated his team mate for not providing verbal support on the sprint by being at his side to give him a few extra tenths. Fck me, what kind of a race is this.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Agree with the above, I wish the other teams would get a backbone and challenge to race via all sorts of strategies vs. predictable towing the line and proxy support.
Which is why I have so much respect for Evans TdF win. He basically did it solo.

TonyMax

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget
Which is why I have so much respect for Evans TdF win. He basically did it solo.
With the help of his team. I'm most of the way through his book and it wasn't until BMC that he really had a supportive environment to enable him to win Grand Tours.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The last climb to the finish line yesterday hurt my legs watching it. Agree with the above, I wish the other teams would get a backbone and challenge to race via all sorts of strategies vs. predictable towing the line and proxy support. So I was happy to see CF lose the jersey last night. Funny that the commentators castigated his team mate for not providing verbal support on the sprint by being at his side to give him a few extra tenths. Fck me, what kind of a race is this.
It's all about the sponsors and sky targets to win the overall race. When you ride in a team you're there to support the main strongest rider, that's what you're really getting paid for. Most top riders can win a few stages and unless they draft behind other team members they'll surely pay for it in the following stages. It's just not a plain race of endurance, they have to use strategies and plans to out smart other teams.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Last night was a bit more interesting with a heap of attacks. Barguil showing them what he's made of, Quintana and Contador were climbing pretty well and Aru still putting the pressure on Froome.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
With the help of his team. I'm most of the way through his book and it wasn't until BMC that he really had a supportive environment to enable him to win Grand Tours.
Did you watch the race? His BMC team was definitely the best he ever had but they were still average. I still remember him being pretty much alone on every climb that mattered. The stage before the final time trial of the year he won it he single handedly pulled an entire group up a climb to chase down Schleck. He definitely deserved the jersey that year, was awesome to watch.

I do think with the sheer dominance by Sky (purely due to money) the other teams will change tactics, dropping the unwritten rules will be a game changer.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So there was an attack last night after Froome had a mechanical. A couple of days ago i thought, "yeah, it's good sportmanship to wait for the yellow jersey if they've had bad luck", but when thinking about it, if you ain't in yellow, no-one cares about you!

If someone puts tacks on the road causing a puncture, crashes into a rouge spectator etc, everyone should wait for the poor soul. If a mechanical happens, probably due to having a stupidly light prototype wheel (he broke his wheel last night), dropped chain or drivetrain which has an issue, tough luck, attack boys.

scblack

Leucocholic
So there was an attack last night after Froome had a mechanical. A couple of days ago i thought, "yeah, it's good sportmanship to wait for the yellow jersey if they've had bad luck", but when thinking about it, if you ain't in yellow, no-one cares about you!

If someone puts tacks on the road causing a puncture, crashes into a rouge spectator etc, everyone should wait for the poor soul. If a mechanical happens, probably due to having a stupidly light prototype wheel (he broke his wheel last night), dropped chain or drivetrain which has an issue, tough luck, attack boys.
Timing is the issue. They had ALREADY attacked before his mechanical, so were already well ahead. No need to stop or slow in that case.

they did not attack due to the mechanical issue at all.