Does this happen to you?

not_brian

Likes Bikes
I treated myself recently and now ride a Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ It's a beautiful bike and I'm really happy riding it.

I've only been riding this beast for about 6 weeks and on 3 separate occasions I've had some random guy at the trailhead tell me "you don't deserve that bike". I'll admit I am riding very conservatively as I'm still recovering from surgery but jeez... it's a bit rude.

I asked hubby if he gets this comment from guys when he rides his bike (also a new Hightower) and he was surprised guys were saying this to me.

Do I have to rapidly upgrade my skills to match the bike I'm riding or is "F*%k off" a reasonable response to such comments.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry to intrude into the ladies section but I think you should throw rocks at them.

Gotta be a farkwit to say something as condescending and outright stupid as that.

not_brian

Likes Bikes
Sorry to intrude into the ladies section but I think you should throw rocks at them.

Gotta be a farkwit to say something as condescending and outright stupid as that.

Good. I'm not being a princess then!
*going to pack some rocks*

moorey

call me Mia
People say to me all the time… And I've been riding for 20 years….And all my bikes are pieces of shit… People can be monsters :pout:

Tell them 'Git! GIT!'

halfstroke

Likes Bikes
I'm assuming you ride at Glenrock as you are from Newcastle, I'm also assuming you were riding on the weekend. The F@#kwits and weirdos come out full force on the weekends. If you can find the time it would be worth going for a mid week ride, there will be less riders and the riders you do comes across will be more respectful then your average weekend warrior.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Must be the roadies trying out XC :p

Seriously though I see a lot of people with more bike than skills and my reaction is mostly just silent drooling. I've always been the guy with a crappy bike. I think the only time I was somewhat top of the bike bragging ladder was being one the the first to have a disc roadie. I must say I copped it a lot but that was more to do with roadies being roadies more than anything skill or gender related.

As for the ladies bit, I can't say I've seen any of that and I have a few female riders who are on sick rigs that I ride with. The person probably meant it tongue in cheek but don't think too much about it. Next time buy something more expensive and outrageous regardless of skill level haha.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Seriously though I see a lot of people with more bike than skills
I'd reckon that sums up like 75% of people who ride MTB, with me at the top of the list. That's not to say that 75% of MTBers can't ride, just that we all like nice bikes and with today's technology I'm sure our bikes could be ridden much better, harder and faster than most of us can achieve!

slowmick

38-39"
Just ignore them - or fuck off - which ever makes you happier.

Out of interest would you say it was it a younger person or a grumpy old bastard? either way it's not on - just curious.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
How can one "assume" that someone doesn't "deserve" to have a particular bike, especially if the people don't know each other?

Begrudging and envy are 2 of the worst human traits. For all these people know, you could have saved every cent you could for 10 years to buy that bike, or worked 2 jobs, or been left money after the death of a loved one......

F*ck em I say.....

Ability or skill has ZERO to do with what bike someone decides to spend their money on. I know a bloke who has an SB6 that rides it 800m to the shop once a month.

Ideate

Biker girls instantly get +5 for me .. if they're on a nice bike then an additional +5 on top of that! Yes that's right.. If you're already a 10 then you go up to a 20!

They're just jealous their partners are sitting at home watching Ellen.. OR.. it stems from a much deeper issue and they don't actually have a partner.. so you should actually pity them.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Say.. "awww it must be hard being single"..

If they say "but I'm married".. then.. "awwww it must be hard having a boring wife that doesn't ride"...

If they say "but she's right here next to me on the bike".. then. . "awwww it must be hard being married to a man"... and so on..

Calvin27

Eats Squid
They're just jealous their partners are sitting at home watching Ellen.. OR.. it stems from a much deeper issue and they don't actually have a partner.. so you should actually pity them.
This is true. When I see women out on the trails, I get jealous because my other half has 3 left feet and cannot balance on a bike at all. The bling bike is extra pain because I know when I am out on the trails damage is being done to the credit card. if only that damage could be inter-changeable bike parts and stuff...

If they say "but I'm married".. then.. "awwww it must be hard having a boring wife that doesn't ride"...
This will cut like a hot knife through butter.

Beej1

If they say "but she's right here next to me on the bike".. then. . "awwww it must be hard being married to a man"... and so on..
I don't know any women who'd say that of another woman they don't know, even if potentially non-existent. Or a guy who'd say what this fuckwit said to a woman in the presence of their female companion, if present.

And clearly, guy who said this to OP is indeed a fuckwit. Plain and simple. It's likely nothing will change that.

Dunno if it's just me, but probably 99% of the most fuckwitted people I've crossed paths with in life are male. The OP is already winning, in that regard.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I treated myself recently and now ride a Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ It's a beautiful bike and I'm really happy riding it.

I've only been riding this beast for about 6 weeks and on 3 separate occasions I've had some random guy at the trailhead tell me "you don't deserve that bike". I'll admit I am riding very conservatively as I'm still recovering from surgery but jeez... it's a bit rude.

I asked hubby if he gets this comment from guys when he rides his bike (also a new Hightower) and he was surprised guys were saying this to me.

Do I have to rapidly upgrade my skills to match the bike I'm riding or is "F*%k off" a reasonable response to such comments.
What a cock. Hopefully we can connect one day and bump into these folks...I don't mind slinging shit.

There's plenty of good throwing rocks up there too. Little bits of gravel for those that can't aim up to nice big ones for ripped monsters like safreek to hoik.

Good. I'm not being a princess then!
*going to pack some rocks*
Dirt clods too...it busts up on impact and goes in the eyes.

I'm assuming you ride at Glenrock as you are from Newcastle, I'm also assuming you were riding on the weekend. The F@#kwits and weirdos come out full force on the weekends. If you can find the time it would be worth going for a mid week ride, there will be less riders and the riders you do comes across will be more respectful then your average weekend warrior.
The place really is a magnet for fuckwits. Arrogant arseholes, ignorant jerks, plain stupid morons...and the list goes on. It gets pretty frustrating having to share with such selfish scumbags.

Biker girls instantly get +5 for me .. if they're on a nice bike then an additional +5 on top of that! Yes that's right.. If you're already a 10 then you go up to a 20!

That's what I'd do anyway.

Say.. "awww it must be hard being single"..

You gotta cut deep man, right in the feels...(further comments removed in preference for good taste.)