Product Review OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Welcome to the next exciting review on products provided to us by our friends at Mountain Bikes Direct. We've teamed up with one of Australia's best online mountain bike stores to bring you in depth reviews on the latest and most intriguing parts and accessories you can purchase for your bike.
The values shared by the staff at Rotorburn and Mountain Bikes Direct are the same; we have a huge passion for mountain biking! It's our pleasure to be in a great position to test, review and share our in depth details on some great products available from Mountain Bikes Direct.

Item: OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool
Purchased From: Mountain Bikes Direct (Click here for the product page)
Purchase Price (approx): $79.95
Usage: Any discipline of mountain biking or road riding

Pros – Super compact, doesn’t require additional methods to store tools, very light.
Cons – It’s a compact multi tool that doesn’t have everything you may be used to with bulkier and heavier multi tools.

Product outline: The idea of the OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool is to store the tools you’ll need in vacant spaces on your bike instead of suspending the weight of items you carry in your backpack or pocket. This tool simply slides into your fork steerer tube after a small amount of time is applied to tap a thread into your steerer tube. The compact design means it’s one less item you may forget to pack in the event that you’ll need it when you’re an hour from the car. It’s quite surprising just how versatile this small tool is and just how commonly used the tools affixed are. It includes the most used hex wrench sizes (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8mm), a T25 torx, a plastic tyre lever, flat head screwdriver, four spoke keys (0,1,2,3), a presta valve core tool, a chain breaker tool and comes with a small sealed capsule to store small parts like a quick link, a CO2 cartridge and items of that size. There’s also a tool to tighten the top cap if need be.

Bike used: Norco Charger hardtail

Fitting: Fitting is simple but does require you to pay close attention to the small details outlined in the video OneUp Components offer on the product page. You will need to also grab yourself the kit required to tap a thread into your steerer tube and the top cap to fasten the EDC in place. Both items can be found on this page.
Once you’ve picked up the extra kit needed to fit, you’re all set. Watch the video first then jump on in and get the thread tapped. Honestly, the video tells you everything you need to know to fit again, pay attention to the small details they provide as they are crucial to you getting it right. Even if you’ve never played around with tapping threads or removing star nuts, it really is so simple and very much worth getting right. Trust me, it’s easy!
Once the thread is tapped, I recommend cleaning the thread with a toothbrush and ensuring your steerer tube is free from any shavings left over. The edge can be quite sharp so don’t slice your finger open. I did apply a small amount of grease to the first part of the thread on the top cap to allow the thread to ease into the new thread. The EDC comes with a small tool that tightens the top cap but you can also use a cassette lockring tool to get it nice and firm. Double check your headset is in place with no rocking as well. The last step is to put the bottom cap into the crown of your forks to keep everything intact. You may need to tap that guy in with a rubber mallet to ensure it sits firmly in the crown. After that is in place, grab your EDC and lock it in. All done!
Please keep in mind that the method used to affix the top cap to the steerer removes the traditional top cap and star nut setup. It is important to get the new thread tapped perfectly the first time so pay attention to the video. Is this method of tapping a thread into you steerer tube more reliable than a star nut and top cap set up? You bet! I think it’s probably the best way to keep the whole system in place. Why? There’s more thread for your top cap to bite into, there’s no chance of a dodgy star nut pulling up as you tighten the top cap bolt and you can get a precise height for your spacers.

On the trail: First up; you won’t notice the weight of it. It’s less than 250 grams and is out of sight. It’s tucked in very tightly with quality O rings that mean it won’t rattle, it won’t come bouncing out of your steerer and it’ll stay clean. You can get the EDC out of the steerer by pulling on the tab that locks it into place and there you go, it’s in your hands without taking your pack off or fumbling in your pocket. The whole point of the EDC is to simplify the process of carrying a multi tool and keeps it compact. It’s that simple, it takes a no fuss approach to utilising vacant space on your bike and it’s within easy reach. For those that have multiple bikes, you can grab an extra top cap set up and use the same thread tap to make all your bikes compatible. You can only ride one bike at once so just swap the EDC between bikes and you’ve got a common multi tool on each.

Summary: The build quality and finish on the OneUp EDC is great. It’s made from great material and machined very nicely. Each tool is a precise fit for it’s intended use and it doesn’t feel like it’s about to snap under load. The small sealed tube for extra part storage is surprisingly very useful for storing those small bits that you lose in the pockets of your pack, it’s very versatile. There will always be other tools you may need away from your workshop but the functions included in the EDC can most definitely get you out of a bad situation and keep you riding. Don’t be put off by the need to grab some extra items required to fit the EDC, it’s that good that it’s totally worth it. The fitting is easy and the tools offered to fit the EDC are of a quality that means the best result is easy.

Thanks to our friends at Mountain Bikes Direct for the exclusive use of their products for this and many more reviews to come.

Attachments

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
nice review. bummer that the installation tool is $40 extra and you need 5mm of steerer above your stem. Looks like a good idea for shops that do custom builds to offer as an added bonus feature to their builds.

Just re-read - you need to spend $34 on the top cap kit too. That makes it a $153.85 trail tool. wow. :jaw:

Last edited:

notime

Likes Dirt
What's the quality of the tap tool like?

Just wondering how many threads it would happily tap before it goes in the bin.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Good review - well done

Thanks for the good read.
But I don't think I'll be replacing my Alien with this anytime soon

As slowmick says, maybe for a new build for a new rider or for the people who don't like packs

We have a fellow who rides with us that can't stand backpacks, so he has stuff like spare tubes, tools, CO2 cartridges and two water bottles hanging from every bit of his bike - looks pretty kooky!

Me? I don't mind my Camelbak - once you've gotten used to them, they aren't really that intrusive

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
What's the quality of the tap tool like?

Just wondering how many threads it would happily tap before it goes in the bin.
It's excellent. Coming from a fabrication background I can say that it's a quality tap. I don't think you'd ever wear it out or have it distort the pattern. It's pretty heavy duty.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
When they posted this on pinkbike I suggested they make a top cap instead of tapping the stem... I'm tempted to buy one just to make it and sell them.
No mods to your bike and you can transfer it between bikes.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The whole tapping thing plus the fact that you:

1. Have only one CO2 canister, and;
2. No CO2 head

means that I feel this combo is a better idea:

That way you get all the tool goodness plus a backup should you misfire your CO2 canister.

And tool + pump is just about the same price as tool + top cap + tap kit.

Good review though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have thought with it's weight, gravity, and a friction fit that the o-rings would hold it in there tight enough without the need to tap?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The tapped threads don't hold the tool in, they - along with the new top cap - allow you to preload the headset in the absence of the starnut.

You could I suppose use a Hope Headset Doctor thing to preload the headset, tighten the stem & replace the Hope thing with the EDC?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like the idea, but a custom frame bag would be the better option on that bike and for that price if you could loose the saddle bag.

Ideate

.. - you need to spend $34 on the top cap kit too. That makes it a $153.85 trail tool. wow. :jaw:
What a heap of shit! That's too damn expensive for a mini multi tool!

Anyway my top cap just came in the mail today because I didn't realise you had to order it separately..

slowmick

38-39"
What a heap of shit! That's too damn expensive for a mini multi tool!

Anyway my top cap just came in the mail today because I didn't realise you had to order it separately..
i hope it's going on the spit-e. another mod using tools. :thumb:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The whole tapping thing plus the fact that you:

1. Have only one CO2 canister, and;
2. No CO2 head

means that I feel this combo is a better idea:

That way you get all the tool goodness plus a backup should you misfire your CO2 canister.

And tool + pump is just about the same price as tool + top cap + tap kit.

Good review though
Options mate, many options! ;)

I would have thought with it's weight, gravity, and a friction fit that the o-rings would hold it in there tight enough without the need to tap?
I toyed with that idea as well but the need to create that extra bind to the steerer other than the stem bolts is peace of mind. The tapping process is easy though but a downside may be if you ever decide to switch those forks back to the star nut setup and you will demolish the tapped thread hammering the star nut in. The tapped thread may also be too deep for your star nut to grab the top cap bolt binding to the inner wall of the steerer.

I like the idea, but a custom frame bag would be the better option on that bike and for that price if you could loose the saddle bag.
I don't like saddle bags at all but it's been handy on that bike to carry a tube and a small multi tool. Problem is, the thing bounces around and rattles and annoys me. Thats why the OneUp has appealed to me so much, I can do away with the saddle bag and just carry a tube lower on my frame somewhere with a strap holding it down.

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
while i can appreciate the engineering of the product it seems silly to put it up high and directly over the front suspension when in the last decade the focus has been on bike weight reduction and suspension sytems that are equal to the high performance automotive industry

thought i saw a similar tool kit that used the hollow spindle space in cranksets...which while space is limited is a better on the frame location...

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
thought i saw a similar tool kit that used the hollow spindle space in cranksets...which while space is limited is a better on the frame location...
Industry 9 also do a very small multi tool that fits in the front axle, once again- very exxy for what it is.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
while i can appreciate the engineering of the product it seems silly to put it up high and directly over the front suspension when in the last decade the focus has been on bike weight reduction and suspension sytems that are equal to the high performance automotive industry

I'd love to try the crankset version. I really like the idea of tucking all this stuff into your frame and parts. It's tidy, out of sight and super functional. I really like Specialized SWAT system too, I'm hoping that becomes more of a mainstream thing.

Industry 9 also do a very small multi tool that fits in the front axle, once again- very exxy for what it is.
That sounds pretty neat, I haven't seen that. Got a link?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I'd love to try the crankset version. I really like the idea of tucking all this stuff into your frame and parts. It's tidy, out of sight and super functional. I really like Specialized SWAT system too, I'm hoping that becomes more of a mainstream thing.

That sounds pretty neat, I haven't seen that. Got a link?
https://industrynine.com/matchstix/

Get's mixed reviews, but seems well made.