eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm looking into getting my 70-odd year old mother a pedal-assist bike so she can ride around the lake.

Fuck the haters.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm looking into getting my 70-odd year old mother a pedal-assist bike so she can ride around the lake.

Fuck the haters.
Good for her. That sounds like the kind of use most people are in support of. Unlucky for her if by "the lake" you mean Burly-Griff? Surely by 70-odd she has earned the right not to live in Canberra anymore!

So you'll get her one of those?
Nahhhhhh. One with a throttle!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So you'll get her one of those?
Yeah, I'd reckon so. She'll be keen to hit Thredbo during the race season and being retired she can to that Whistler trip she's always dreamt about.

Good for her. That sounds like the kind of use most people are in support of. Unlucky for her if by "the lake" you mean Burly-Griff? Surely by 70-odd she has earned the right not to live in Canberra anymore!
You kidding me? This is the perfect town for seniors. Slower pace of life, aging population, no shortage of volunteer gigs at museums and galleries to remain occupied with, nothing is far away, low crime rates, lakes to ride around, me, etc. etc.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, I'd reckon so.

You kidding me? This is the perfect town for seniors. Slower pace of life, aging population, no shortage of volunteer gigs at museums and galleries to remain occupied with, nothing is far away, low crime rates, lakes to ride around, me, etc. etc.
Cold...so very cold. And everywhere has an ageing population, this is Australia.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
And that is so true, this place used to be overrun by the 15 year old Pepsi Max crew circa 2006. Not sure if they pissed off elsewhere or just aged but our mean demographic has certainly gone up by a decade or two!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I rode the local trails with an old bloke that was 72 years old on a Specialized Liv two weeks ago. Poor old bloke got heckled at just about every intersection and said he's never copped so much shit in one day on the trails. In the middle of our ride a few mates decided to have a go and then offered me a ride to which I accepted. First thing I noticed that it was very top heavy and all you do is spin your legs like on an exercise bike at the lowest setting, pedal assist was set in the middle. It's certainly not for me at this stage.

Good on the old bloke for continuing to ride, he used to ride pedal MTBs prior to the e-bike but he's lost a lot of upper body strength and tiered really quickly. He said it was pointless having the e-bike as everyone he rode with before has hung up their bikes and he's not quite fast enough to keep up with the younger groups without risking serious injury but he was still grateful to be out on the trails at his age.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I rode the local trails with an old bloke that was 72 years old on a Specialized Liv two weeks ago. Poor old bloke got heckled at just about every intersection and said he's never copped so much shit in one day on the trails. In the middle of our ride a few mates decided to have a go and then offered me a ride to which I accepted. First thing I noticed that it was very top heavy and all you do is spin your legs like on an exercise bike at the lowest setting, pedal assist was set in the middle. It's certainly not for me at this stage.

Good on the old bloke for continuing to ride, he used to ride pedal MTBs prior to the e-bike but he's lost a lot of upper body strength and tiered really quickly. He said it was pointless having the e-bike as everyone he rode with before has hung up their bikes and he's not quite fast enough to keep up with the younger groups without risking serious injury but he was still grateful to be out on the trails at his age.
While we're talking about demographics; for people to have a dig at an elderly bloke on the trails on a pedal assist bike is the bottom of the barrel. I'd want more people like the old bloke in my club and riding my trails than the stuck up pricks hanging shit on people. I've said it 208654523, the best market for a pedal assist bike is those that need some assistance with pedaling. How can that not be admired? What a bunch of fuckheads, I'd push them over if I saw that shit going on.

Flow-Rider

Burner
While we're talking about demographics; for people to have a dig at an elderly bloke on the trails on a pedal assist bike is the bottom of the barrel. I'd want more people like the old bloke in my club and riding my trails than the stuck up pricks hanging shit on people. I've said it 208654523, the best market for a pedal assist bike is those that need some assistance with pedaling. How can that not be admired? What a bunch of fuckheads, I'd push them over if I saw that shit going on.
To be honest he looks no where near 72 under a helmet with glasses, more like late 50's, still acts like he's in his 30's. He's still pretty healthy and flexible, tackles most trails and reminded me jokingly how he would've done most women he sees on the trail, he's quite a funny bloke. If it wasn't for the e-bike he wouldn't have been able to come out with us that's for sure, I hope I'm as healthy as him at that age.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fixed that for you.
And that is so true, this place used to be overrun by the 15 year old Pepsi Max crew circa 2006. Not sure if they pissed off elsewhere or just aged but our mean demographic has certainly gone up by a decade or two!
They all grew up and brought motos brah! Or skylines.

If the kids that used to come to my youth centre offer any representation of their peers (they weren't very representative though!) the trend for burning up your phone data was snapchat and Facebook. Snapchat's popularity was probably a combination of trend/newness, pics being more interesting than words, and pics being easier than words (being literacy was generally low). Facebook was for having a sook and trying to get laid.

Being so heavily text based this place would be pretty intimidating to most teenagers.

Good on him for getting amongst it. I did misread the bike as being from the giant ladies range...and had trouble understanding the hate until I reread the start.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
To be honest he looks no where near 72 under a helmet with glasses, more like late 50's, still acts like he's in his 30's. He's still pretty healthy and flexible, tackles most trails and reminded me jokingly how he would've done most women he sees on the trail, he's quite a funny bloke. If it wasn't for the e-bike he wouldn't have been able to come out with us that's for sure, I hope I'm as healthy as him at that age.
Australians don't age well. I've met a lot of older people of both on the slopes in Japan. Their attitude to age is so different, almost as though retiring is the key to unlocking a lost youthfulness. One guy decided to learn to snowboard at age 70! My favourites though was a group around 75yo I shared accommodation with. They had done the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal that year to celebrate one of the gang turning 75!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, seriously, throw rocks at those cunts.
Him being a retired Qld cop i'm sure he doesn't want to see anymore action in his old age. I think it was just water off a duck's back to him.

Australians don't age well. I've met a lot of older people of both on the slopes in Japan. Their attitude to age is so different, almost as though retiring is the key to unlocking a lost youthfulness. One guy decided to learn to snowboard at age 70! My favourites though was a group around 75yo I shared accommodation with. They had done the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal that year to celebrate one of the gang turning 75!
I think we age a lot from our life styles, things like spending a lot of time in the sun, smokes and booze.

The bike is a Specialized turbo levo fattie sorry not Liv, he said it cost him about 10K.

safreek

Things must have changed since I.was last there
Used to be full of junkies, or maybe it was just that I mixed with lowlifes back then

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Canberra did have a pretty bad junk problem in the 80/90s and you can still see that legacy today. Not many junkies about (only seen one in 5 years) but a lot of deros that were clearly on that bus in a previous life. But I might suggest that it could be a reflection on where you had travelled given that Canberra has the highest average level of education and the highest average income in the country. Not the kind of stats you would fine in a place full of junkies.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hey! I resemble that remark.

Most of the flat brim monster dudes stopped riding tbh. Not many 25yr olds still going, standard story of booze, girls and cars. Alot of people moved to drifiting and motoX.

Also mods were alot more liberal with the ban stick back then. Grumpy old fuckers

Status
Not open for further replies.