AM 2004 Kona Stinky

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I bought Plankosaurus' 2004 Kona stinky for a bargain price. She's to become bike number 4 in the fleet. Bikes 4,5 and 6 are all on the go.

She needs a full rebuild, has spent some time in the rain. So far I've fully stripped her down.

Stuck trying to get the main pivot bearings out, I'm assuming the bearing seats are semi blind so I've tried pulling with no luck, going to have to cut them out it would appear.

Plans are a little sketchy still. Paint has to go. Thinking raw

Unsure what to do about the forks, but my stash of 32mm zocci is pretty good, I'm thinking a fox FIT cartridge might be the go with some 20mm DJ3 lowers, rear coil shock is a vanilla r with propedal and seems to be quite good as far as platform goes, might try it once she's back together before hunting for an air shock

Wheels will be mavic 823 on pro2

Brakes will be Guides.

ATF/Acetone left to soak into the bearings in an attempt at removing them, sadly no joy.

https://vimeo.com/233081519

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I really like the old paintwork, I'd try and keep it, maybe do some careful touch ups of the black to freshen it up.
My old stinky had Fox40's, dropped to 175mm travel. I really liked it as a Mini-DH bike, but a single crown makes more sense.
It also had the Vanilla R, and it worked pretty damn well really

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It's funny you say that, because he happens to have a set of 36 vanillas as well :p

Awesome that the old beast is getting some love, it's a lot more effort than i thought the bargain basement boat anchor would receive! I'm not sure it's a pretty enough bike to work raw personally, but then I saw it as nothing more than a stepping stone for someone wanting to take a crack at riding downwards so maybe my opinion is invalid.

Sent from my Xperia Z3C using Tapatalk

aanon

Likes Dirt
Cool, i also have an old Stinky at home with a Vanilla and Marzocchi Junior T up front, no real plans for it yet but ya never know.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Try freeze and release spray on the stuck bearings.
Used a whole can trying, bearings are a little too deep and the housing a little too corroded. And by the time I freeze a bearing and get the blind puller in and seated, there has been enough heat transfer to deny success. I do love a can of freeze and release.

A gentle cut through the bearing outer races seems to be the only option. Don't think I can get a Dremel in there but going to give it a red hot go.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Finally got the main pivot bearings out after an hour of struggling. The bearings are positioned by a glued in spacer, making both sides blind, Kona tech couldn't answer my questions re blind housings, glad I didn't attempt to push the bearings through.

Next to make a bearing press adapter for 6902.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This will turn out great. Always loved those old Stinkys. I'm sure you will make it better than new.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Kona was using 30mm seatpost back in the day.

Seat tube ID measures about 30.20mm and my spare reverb measures 30.70mm

Thinking of shaving a bit off the reverb post in the lathe and honing out the seat tube a little.

Of course reverb will be modified with an O-Ring seal head.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Aren't stinky's meant to be ridden with the seat slammed? I always remember the cool guys pedalling around standing up in baggy jeans with a studded belt, no dropper there.

Also, a set of clapped out DC skate shoes.

Very cool resto jobby mate, I wanted a stinky so bad way back when, but could only afford a stuff.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah I'm venturing away from it's true freeride origins. Poodle is still mystified by the concept I might pedal it, but stuffed if I'm going to push it up hills. I'd rather suffer pedalling. Should also be a good handicap when riding with mates who've been off the bike for 3 months.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The shorter travel stink jobs were "pedal friendly" (or as I suspected at the time - upgrade inducing) coming with dual front rings. Norco did the same thing on a lot of their shore bikes. The explanation at the time was you needed to ride up to come down etc.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Climbing is good for the soul my poodle friend. Low gears, courage and being stubborn sure helps.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah they were duel rings for most of tue stinky iterations. You'd call them "superduro" or whatever shit santa cruz is marketing the new nomad as. Big bikes for bombing big stuff, but needed to be pedalled out.

I just never saw on being pedalled around aus hahaha, our little 1min dh runs and 5min walk back up, you wouldn't bother