Would you go wide 2.6"

Stoneyy

Squid
I have a 2017 Trance that fits 2.6" wide tyres, is there many disadvantages in going the wider tyre or would you stick around 2.4" ??????

moorey

call me Mia
Good point Moorey, I have 33mm (think external) wide rims
Then they'll take wider...but comes down to where and how you ride. Particularly now it's drying up, bigger tyres can just mean unnecessary weight and rolling resistance.
I just banged the Wide Trail maxxis on one bike. Planning ride tomorrow, but can't see the advance on the tracks I ride mostly.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I reckon 2.4/2.5" is the sweet spot for most.
A trade off between grip and rolling resistance is a tough balance. I'm a fatty.... riding up hills is not my forte. I need tyres that I can get up there on... but with my preferred riding of chunky technical fast descents means I need something with lots of grip and volume.

I'd rather sacrifice low rolling resistance and ease of pedalling for outright grip.... but still can't see myself going bigger than 2.4/2.5".

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ideate

You can get foam inserts to help with tyre wobble and tread profile on narrower rims. Extra weight though.. Yuk. But they work great apparently and you can run lower pressures for super no pinch burp flats grip.

I run 2.8 on everything now. Even the darkside is running a 26x2.8 minion and ranger combo on i40 rims.

Just try it maybe? Then if you don't like it, sell your tyres to Moore so he can give them to me.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Not interested in wide 2.6" tyrea, I'm happy with my extra wide 3" :)

Width of tyres doesn't mean slower rolling, especially on anything that starts to get rough. The issue is balancing rolling resistance (supple casings) durability and tyre weight. And not breaking the bank for a set of tyres(I'm looking at you Bontrager Chupacabras that I was quoted at $189 each the other day)

You can get foam inserts to help with tyre wobble and tread profile on narrower rims. Extra weight though.. Yuk. But they work great apparently and you can run lower pressures for super no pinch burp flats grip.

I run 2.8 on everything now. Even the darkside is running a 26x2.8 minion and ranger combo on i40 rims.

Just try it maybe? Then if you don't like it, sell your tyres to Moore so he can give them to me.
Another vote for plus tyres. I run 2.8 on 27.5 45mm internal and love them. I have the option of 29 x 2.3 on the same bike but can't surrender the fantastic grip I get from the wide rubber.

True, they are a bit heavier, but rolling resistance just isn't a factor. People talk about it but I don't experience it.