About to use my bike, after 12months odd

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So long story short, I think I'm close to having a chance to go riding again.

My daughter arrives in October last year and aside for one outing in November last year, my bike has been on the way.

In January of this yeah, optimistically, I serviced it along with sending the shock (CCDB CS) to NSD for a service.

My question is this; what should I do before I go and ride it?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Take a big dump. You won't want any interruptions once you hit the trail. Maybe have a quick wank too.

Eat a hearty meal and drink water. Take water. Take a lot of water. Why don't people do this???

Inflate your tyres too.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Invert bike for a bit, to get a bit of lube on the fork seals? My LBS told me to keep the bike upside down if not ridden for a while, not sure how effective it would be though.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Atleast riding with the Poodle and Lazmo won't mean any lost time tending to bodily functions and self amusement.

Just leave it alone, y'hear, it won't fall off no matter how much you try to pull it off :jaw:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Poodle and lazmo's advice is more aimed at achieving strava PB's and is a little strange coming from team "let's just have fun"

Bike upside down overnight will get the fork splash lube onto the bushings and seals, can't hurt.

Sounds like things have been tough introducing a child into the mix, it sure hit my riding for a six having a sick kid and sick wife for the first 18 months.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yup, like Nambra said, flip the bike over to allow the fork & shock lubricating oil to run back "up" & onto the internal seals. Conversely, any air that might be in the brake reservoirs will likely end up in the lines though.....

Given it hasn't been ridden, you won't have worn anything out, so there isn't really anything major to do beyond moving the shock oil around, just lube the chain & pump up the tyres..... and prepare to be disappointed with yourself as you come to the harsh realisation of just how much fitness you've lost.....

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Poodle and lazmo's advice is more aimed at achieving strava PB's and is a little strange coming from team "let's just have fun"

Bike upside down overnight will get the fork splash lube onto the bushings and seals, can't hurt.

Sounds like things have been tough introducing a child into the mix, it sure hit my riding for a six having a sick kid and sick wife for the first 18 months.
Yeah, we had some complications pop up along the way and we're only just now at a point were we see some "calm water" ahead. And I am itching to get back out as it was my primary method to relax and re-centre.

Yup, like Nambra said, flip the bike over to allow the fork & shock lubricating oil to run back "up" & onto the internal seals. Conversely, any air that might be in the brake reservoirs will likely end up in the lines though.....

Given it hasn't been ridden, you won't have worn anything out, so there isn't really anything major to do beyond moving the shock oil around, just lube the chain & pump up the tyres..... and prepare to be disappointed with yourself as you come to the harsh realisation of just how much fitness you've lost.....
Gotcha. Flip bike, pump tyres and brace for disappointment or a heart attack. :p

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I do this one before most rides, plus rolling on the back wheel while navigating the cars in our the driveway helps.

slowmick

38-39"
Our little girl arrived in December. i feel your bike riding pain.

Take it easy - your fitness has abandoned you. Also, the trails you know havee probably changed since last time. i got surprises at Lysterfield on ride #1.

Go with a clear time frame for bike riding fun. The joy of my first ride was killed by my lack of fitness, the bike needing some attention (not a problem you will have) and the feeling that i should actually be doing something more productive with my time that suffering on the bike (finishing the kitchen renovation).

i went with mates on my first ride. i would suggest a solo ride as it is will mask any loss of fitness. i was the little red caboose on the friend train - our 2 hour ride took 3.

hope you have an awesome ride and get the smiles. :thumb:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Start pegging with a pissed wife who cant get it in the hole. The impacts will toughen the general area