Who's good at identifying spiders?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Was weeding the lawn when I cam across a foreboding hole in the ground, which I proceeded to spray a bunch of poison down until this nasty looking little fucker crawled out.

I don't think it's a funnelweb but I'm not convinced that it's not (also don't think they come as far inland as Canberra, but don't know for sure). Backyard will have kids running around in it over Xmas and don't want to have any of them bit. Thoughts?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Don't think so, the hole didn't have a lid on it like the TD normally does.

Terminal

Likes Bikes
That looks a lot like the spiders I've seen out in the WA desert. They're called mouse spiders there, maybe they're native to all of Australia? Similar latitude to Canberra I think.

Nobody was too threatened by them, but that doesn't mean they're not venomous.

Could also be a male funnel web. Nasty looking little bugger.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Don't think so, the hole didn't have a lid on it like the TD normally does.
In saying that the hole also didn't have the funnel webbing I'd expect with an FW either. It's also not completely the same as some of the pics that I find of the FW but it's so close I can't help thinking that it's going to be a similar kind of spider and similarly dangerous.

Funnel Web:
208C10.jpg

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That looks a lot like the spiders I've seen out in the WA desert. They're called mouse spiders there, maybe they're native to all of Australia? Similar latitude to Canberra I think.

Nobody was too threatened by them, but that doesn't mean they're not venomous.

Could also be a male funnel web. Nasty looking little bugger.
Possibly, not precisely the same but similar to some of the pics I can find:

dang_31_big.jpg
Idiommata_scintillans_D7340.jpg

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
trapdoor?

looks like the trapdoor up here in Toowoomba....some years their holes (not all have doors) seem to be more common especially after rainy periods like now....

over the last 5yrs I've only seen 2 out of their holes, once when I drowned one washing the moto and then one randomly going x-country...thankfully I had the torch that night, seemed to want to attack the stick I was poking at it.... :eek

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
certainly looks like a trapdoor.

either way, put that bastard inside or near a sparkler bomb and blow it apart.

scblack

Leucocholic
aren't wolf spiders normally brown with a black-ish grey pattern on them or something?
I'd say that's what the first pic Johnny has looks like, guess I could be wrong. And don't forget its come out of a poisoned hole.

There's many varieties and colours of Wolf spider too.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Oh yes, it's fucking dead, as it should be. I used to let spiders do their thing, inside the house, where ever. Until a full grown huntsman found its way into my trackie dacks and ran up my bare thigh when I was hanging free. That was the end of my relaxed attitude. Now that I'll have a bunch of kids in my house/yard, they die where ever I find them. Would prefer it some other way but it is what it is.

@SCBlack, definitely not a wolf spider. I have plenty of them around and as long as their not close to the house they can live as they really only come out at night and stay outside. This thing is black as pitch and has spinarets like a FW.

@Gripo and JTmofo, after looking at a bunch of pics and doing some reading I think you might be on the money that it's a trapdoor.

@Moorey, ....and you teach. :doh:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
lol, according to this I've got things arse about with the trapdoors and wolf spiders:

But then again, they have the white tail next to the funnel web and red back, which is horse shit.

moorey

call me Mia
You are a fucktard

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
certainly looks like a trapdoor.

either way, put that bastard inside or near a sparkler bomb and blow it apart.
Who's the cusstard? I know I'm in the minority here, but poor little bugger wasn't, and isn't likely to hurt anyone. I also vote trap door. Live and let live....albeit too late for this one :pout: