Who's good at identifying spiders?

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Gripo and JTmofo, after looking at a bunch of pics and doing some reading I think you might be on the money that it's a trapdoor.
Looks like a male trap door of some sort. Might be worth getting in your local pest controller, they're pretty clued on with that sort of stuff.

moorey

call me Mia
@Moorey, ....and you teach. :doh:
Kinda.

I do try to teach compassion for other creatures, other than cusswit humans, by example.

The huntsman did you no harm, other than to your fragile ego maybe. Cuss of a thing to doom a species just for challenging your manliness.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
We'll get along splendidly if they get the fuck off my property.

Honestly, they aren't allowed inside my house anymore, that is that (exceptions made for daddy long legs and dudes smaller than a 5c piece). The backyard, I can live with that but having a horde of little kids running around a backyard that has a bunch of spiders in it just doesn't sound like the right thing to do, when the spiders don't pay rent or at least pull some weeds.

moorey

call me Mia
lol, according to this I've got things arse about with the trapdoors and wolf spiders:

But then again, they have the white tail next to the funnel web and red back, which is horse shit.
Yep. Essentially harmless. Misidentification, mythology and hysteria has given them a bad rap.

edit. Also, I don't think a redback has killed anyone in over 50 years.
Fun fact, funnel webs are completely harmless to dogs.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia

Honestly, they aren't allowed inside my house anymore, that is that (exceptions made for daddy long legs and dudes smaller than a 5c piece). The backyard, I can live with that but having a horde of little kids running around a backyard that has a bunch of spiders in it just doesn't sound like the right thing to do, when the spiders don't pay rent or at least pull some weeds.
Excellent pest controllers but.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Honestly, they aren't allowed inside my house anymore, that is that. The backyard, I can live with that but having a horde of little kids running around a backyard that has a bunch of spiders in it just doesn't sound like the right thing to do, when the spiders don't pay rent or at least pull some weeds.
Catch the ones that come inside and put them outside. Do you honestly think that knocking off that one means there are no more in your yard?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Catch the ones that come inside and put them outside. Do you honestly think that knocking off that one means there are no more in your yard?
Of course not, dude. It indicates that more investigation is required to understand risks and ways to manage given I'm soon to have a backyard of little kids for a couple of days.

A dead Black House Spider, we get loads of them here in rAdelaide https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...4vXAhWDKZQKHQ_MAVsQ_AUICigB&biw=2560&bih=1310
Don't think so, house spiders (as to what I've read) are wall crawling webspinners. This was a ground dwelling hole digger. Pretty sure it was a trapdoor now, which contrary to what I believed as a child are not second only to the funnel web in killingness.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Johnny, that is definitely a funnel web spider. You have done the right thing. You or someone important to you could have been hurt, or worse. Sleep well tonight. You are the real mvp.

Fun fact, funnel webs are completely harmless to dogs.
Not #fakenews? If true I say WOW.

If he gives them a good scare first this could work. Maybe take off a leg or two? Pull out their teeth? Steal all their web goo? Something that will deter the other spiders once they hear the stories.

In the mean time...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zF-3wgcDRk4

moorey

call me Mia
funnel webs venom is only lethal to us humans and primates, you know, me, you and monkeys. ... On a brighter note, cats and dogs and other animals are unaffected by their venom; chickens will actually eat this spider if it can catch one.
One source....actually they aren't immune, but it would take 100x the dose to kill them than it takes to kill a human.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Don't think so, house spiders (as to what I've read) are wall crawling webspinners. This was a ground dwelling hole digger. Pretty sure it was a trapdoor now, which contrary to what I believed as a child are not second only to the funnel web in killingness.
Yes, they are web spinners, usually found around window sills and anywhere a hole is, up high.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
There's the Sydney funnel web (we know that's a deadly cunt) and then there's a shit ton of similar species (i.e. closely related). Because we hate science in Australia noone has studied them all and so they all should be treated as for the Sydney bastard.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk