2018 World Cup discussion

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Too soon? Nah, there's some news out already so lets do it. ;)

The first rider to confirm his ride next year was Dean Lucas a few weeks back, he's staying at Intense. Here's hoping he gets a good season under his belt again.

The UCI has changed the system, here's a brief run down from Vital:
-Top 60 men qualify, not the top 80.
-Protected riders has changed. The top ten men and top 5 women in standings are protected as well as the top 10 and top 5 from the previous season.
-Protected riders will start after the quickest qualifier instead of before the top ten qualifiers.
-At the last race, the points for qualifying and you race result will be known after your race run so it will add some drama.

Seems like these changes are all to enhance the media broadcast (Red Bull TV). You still can't run a camera in your qualy or race run unless the broadcast company says so. Thats been a rule for a while but we still see tons of footage from race runs.
I think the privateer guys will suffer the most and that can't be good for the sport. Rules are rules but pushing people out of the big game is pretty shit and lets face it, 20 riders less in qualifying is a big slab of riders and guys just won't show now. Thats shit. Not only is this rule changing the way the broadcast will be shown, its changing the spectacle of actually being at a race. I think the notion of protecting riders is basically rigging the sport to make sure the guys who are on teams paying the most cash are going to get a start but the guys who are potentially quicker and not washed up has-beens can still parade their stank and run a race time slower than a privateer's qualifying run.
There's never been a huge amount of money thrown around in this but the UCI need their nuts kicked in and if Red Bull are funding this kind of shit just to "enhance" the broadcast then they can fuck off. It's not broken, it's reducing the quality of the show by making it so damn predictable and your notion of showing a constant field of protected riders in the broadcast will look fucking stupid if 20 small time guys qualify better than the alleged quick guys and you have to show all of them when they finish ahead of the alleged quick guys.
Thank fuck for Crankworx events filling the void.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Too soon? Nah, there's some news out already so lets do it. ;)

The first rider to confirm his ride next year was Dean Lucas a few weeks back, he's staying at Intense. Here's hoping he gets a good season under his belt again.

The UCI has changed the system, here's a brief run down from Vital:
-Top 60 men qualify, not the top 80.
-Protected riders has changed. The top ten men and top 5 women in standings are protected as well as the top 10 and top 5 from the previous season.
-Protected riders will start after the quickest qualifier instead of before the top ten qualifiers.
-At the last race, the points for qualifying and you race result will be known after your race run so it will add some drama.

Seems like these changes are all to enhance the media broadcast (Red Bull TV). You still can't run a camera in your qualy or race run unless the broadcast company says so. Thats been a rule for a while but we still see tons of footage from race runs.
I think the privateer guys will suffer the most and that can't be good for the sport. Rules are rules but pushing people out of the big game is pretty shit and lets face it, 20 riders less in qualifying is a big slab of riders and guys just won't show now. Thats shit. Not only is this rule changing the way the broadcast will be shown, its changing the spectacle of actually being at a race. I think the notion of protecting riders is basically rigging the sport to make sure the guys who are on teams paying the most cash are going to get a start but the guys who are potentially quicker and not washed up has-beens can still parade their stank and run a race time slower than a privateer's qualifying run.
There's never been a huge amount of money thrown around in this but the UCI need their nuts kicked in and if Red Bull are funding this kind of shit just to "enhance" the broadcast then they can fuck off. It's not broken, it's reducing the quality of the show by making it so damn predictable and your notion of showing a constant field of protected riders in the broadcast will look fucking stupid if 20 small time guys qualify better than the alleged quick guys and you have to show all of them when they finish ahead of the alleged quick guys.
Thank fuck for Crankworx events filling the void.
It's certainly a divisive issue. You could argue that it's a somewhat unique sport in that mechanicals have such a disproportionately large impact on final results and standings. Protecting riders mitigates that to an extent.... I guess....

The current format seemed to work quite well none the less. Top 80 is good, reducing to 60 won't affect the broadcast anyway as they only show top 20, so it's unclear to me why they're choosing to alter it. I like that you get a good mix of privateers throwing down in the finals against the big dogs, especially when someone pulls one out of the bag and smokes a few (Hello Josh Button).

I read some murmurs of Danny Hart moving to Saracen but nothing else yet.

All that aside, Can't wait till it kicks off!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I read some murmurs of Danny Hart moving to Saracen but nothing else yet.

All that aside, Can't wait till it kicks off!
I read that as well, seems like they could afford a gun rider with some folks bailing on them.
I also know that Santa Cruz won't be using Enve wheels but instead their own wheels. I'm not sure of the name of the Santa Cruz wheels but something like "Greg Minaar out here getting his World Cup overall and World Championship after Enve wheels self imploded and lost him the trophies in 2017" would be about the sum of it. ;)

jbg

Likes Dirt
Sounds like it will be a quiet one this year in terms of team rumours.
Will the GT team will be in DH for 2018?
Will anyone apart from Jack and Greg be on 29er’s (sorry to bring that back up)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Will anyone apart from Jack and Greg be on 29er’s (sorry to bring that back up)
Thats a good question! It certainly doesn't seem like the bigger wheels made much of an impression and thats with a fair bit of research time spent getting it sorted. It will always suit some riders so give them the choice I say, we've seen it isn't that big a deal on a downhill bike.
However, I've touched on it regularly, Minaar had both the series and champs very close to his cabinet if it wasn't for wheel failures, ironically on 29er wheels.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
However, I've touched on it regularly, Minaar had both the series and champs very close to his cabinet if it wasn't for wheel failures, ironically on 29er wheels.
What failed first, tyre or wheel?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
In the champs, I believe it was the wheel. But nothing to do with the diameter of it, as opposed to the construction of it.
Though some might argue that a larger diameter is inherently weaker than a smaller one.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Well The Syndicate are using the Santa Cruz rims next year. Would think with Greg involved they will come up with a pretty tough wheel set.
Didn’t one of the Enve spokes snap and go inside the tyre?
But yea the 29er thing didn’t really blow up like I was expecting it would.
Got a feeling Aaron and Loic will be doing some 29er testing right now.

Also interested in seeing that new polygon Mick and Tracey were on at the worlds. Think that will be a fast bike next year.

moorey

call me Mia
Won't lie, I'm giddy with excitement already. The reduced qualifier numbers thing does seem shite though, and I've never really agreed with the protected rider thing. Racing is racing, DH needs it Steven Bradbury's, and not just from shitty weather affecting the pointy end of the field.
I can't see Minnaar pulling out another year like this one, hope I'm wrong. I wish I could like Luic...but I can't even. Troy will be even more dangerous, Jack will have some blinders and hoping for some clean runs from Conner....too much fun to watch riding.
I think it's Laurie's year this year. Maybe not the Cup (Gwinn), but the man to fear.
There'll be 29ers, but I think less than this year, aside from the really big riders, which has been already mentioned.
Hurry up already.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Well The Syndicate are using the Santa Cruz rims next year. Would think with Greg involved they will come up with a pretty tough wheel set.
Enve make spokes now?

Beej1

Someone beat me to it - Enve don't make spokes.

If a spoke breaks it doesn't go into the tyre recesss.

The way I understood it was: the rim faulted at the spoke hole and the sealant and air came out there.

In any case, Minnaar probably won't lose any sleep switching to SC rims.

ajay

Bruni...I don't dislike him, but I can't be at all enthusiastic about him. :noidea:
I've heard a few people say that, and cant figure out why. The kid is humble, enthusiastic, gracious and one of the most exciting and creative riders since Sam (imo). But if its because he took the win from Mick at cairns by a bees dick, then I can understand :thumb:

I reckon the 2018 season will be similar to this year: Gwin will be the man to beat, but not as dominant.

Minnaar is the new Peaty, the man just won't stop!

Beej1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even though they're about 6 yrs apart in age, didn't they start mountain biking professionally around the same time in the mid-to-late 90's? In which case, isn't Minnaar just the Minnaar, and Peaty is the guy who's already stopped*?

(*stopped racing professionally)

ajay

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even though they're about 6 yrs apart in age, didn't they start mountain biking professionally around the same time in the mid-to-late 90's? In which case, isn't Minnaar just the Minnaar, and Peaty is the guy who's already stopped*?

(*stopped racing professionally)

Haha, I dont know the dates but Minnaar was mens world champ in 2003, presumably he started a few years previous. So yeah youre probably right!

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Wash your mouth out with soap!

There will NEVER be another Steve Peat - the sport has progressed too far to even allow it. A young SP would be run out of town nowadays
Minnaar is an outstanding racer, but cannot ever hope to generate the hero-worship status of Peaty and the Old Syndicate (RIP Peat/Rennie/Bryceland!), with the support of a few others like Kovarik,Warner, et al

Just look at the Vanilla Syndicate as it is - excellent results, but just disappointing from an excitement point of view