Stanchion build up on new Pike

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hi!

I just got a Pike and just unboxing I found this sort of build up on the stanchions. It feels rough to the touch and I tried to clean it with Isopropyl alcohol with no success. Vendor told me to try with citrus based degreaser and I will give it a go.

Anyone has had any similar issue? If so, it's a matter of concern and how was it resolved?

Thanks!
Looks more like corrosion under the stanchion coating.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Interesting...

But some of it came off with the alcohol and rubbing with a cotton rag... Not sure if corrosion can come off like that. :noidea:
Corrosion wont. I was working off first pic (second pic out of focus and third pic doesn't show close surface detail).

What is surface like after build up removed?

Citrus cleaner is more universal solvent than alcohol so try that.

Last edited:

Warp

Likes Dirt
Corrosion wont. I was working off first pic (second pic out of focus and third pic doesn't show close surface detail).

What is surface like after build up removed?

Citrus cleaner is more aggressive than alcohol as a solvent so try that.
Thanks, mate.

Looks normal in those spots.

Out of the box it looked like something was sprayed on it.

Do they come with some silicon or oil coating from factory? Maybe it's just dried up "something". I'm just hoping it's not permanently stuck to it.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id just get a plastic scraper of some sort and get it all off. Obviously this comes down to abit of common sense with what sort of plastic scraper you use and how hard you use it.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
A quick rub with some 30 grit will sort that out quick smart ...

If you think it is dried grease then try rubbing it with shock fluid or slicko for example. Might clean it off if similar properties.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Id just get a plastic scraper of some sort and get it all off. Obviously this comes down to abit of common sense with what sort of plastic scraper you use and how hard you use it.
I will do the citrus degreaser first and if that is a no go, I'll get the scraper or a combination of both.

Thanks, folks. I was positive it's not life or death but somehow sucks to pay a grand to have to remove dried up material. Not a big deal, really but still...

Warp

Likes Dirt
A quick rub with some 30 grit will sort that out quick smart ...
:D

I wonder how many "confessions of a ****wit" start with "I read this comment on rotorburn..."

Thanks for the advice. I thought of oil too. Yet, another solution. Thanks!

Warp

Likes Dirt
Have you contacted your supplier?
Yes. I did. I actually mentioned it in the OP and they did recommend citrus based cleaner.

I was trying to get more opinions or should I re-phrase, experiences if this was something rather unusual or something common. I haven't bought many forks, but I've never came across something like it.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Have bought or unboxed a metric tonne of forks from all brands... Never had to scrape gunk. Wipe oil away, yes. Did it ship with star nut and service kit?

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's hard to see but it might be a protective wax coating but I've never seen oil dry and look like that on a painted surface. Get some prepsol on a tea towel and see if you can carefully wipe it off.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes. I did. I actually mentioned it in the OP and they did recommend citrus based cleaner.

I was trying to get more opinions or should I re-phrase, experiences if this was something rather unusual or something common. I haven't bought many forks, but I've never came across something like it.
I must have missed that it was the vendor saying go citrus. In the pics it looks like over spray. I have a can of spray on lithium grease that looks a little like the license and goes a bit crusty. No idea why that kind of stuff would be on your forks though.

Have bought or unboxed a metric tonne of forks from all brands... Never had to scrape gunk. Wipe oil away, yes. Did it ship with star nut and service kit?
Same. Though not often with the oil.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I wouldn't cop that at all. For the price you're paying, if that's new out of the box, I'd be demanding a replacement.