That time you'd accepted you were dead...

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reminds me of a bloke at work that told of driving along and a forklift came out of a driveway with the tines at windscreen height. One tine went though the a-pillar. The other went behind his head, but in front of the seat and so ripped the seat down behind him, he fell back as the other tine went through where his head was. Ripped the turret off the car.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I will never write another comment in this thread.
my stories of doom are pathetic compared with Brooksy007 and flamin'trek.

moorey

call me Mia
I will never write another comment in this thread.
my stories of doom are pathetic compared with Brooksy007 and flamin'trek.
Indeed. I started it to make fun of my own lame experience....now I'm scared to read replies. It's the new 'crash pic thread' thread.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
18, 19 years old, somewhere around there.

Went out on the bike with mates at Anglesea near the old rifle range where FTF used to hold races, then hit the surf. Now I'm a strong swimmer, but I got dunked hard by three big waves, legs had nothing left to give and I went under. Came up with a mouth full of water and JUST made it out. I recall vision going black from lack of oxygen.

Unpatrolled surf beach.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Indeed. I started it to make fun of my own lame experience....now I'm scared to read replies. It's the new 'crash pic thread' thread.
Sorry. Ok, it’s like that time when I was riding home. I heard something big scampering behind me so stood up and pedalled for all its worth, and then realised the noise was my backpack flapping around. Thought I was about to be mauled by a Rottweiler or something.

moorey

call me Mia
Sorry. Ok, it’s like that time when I was riding home. I heard something big scampering behind me so stood up and pedalled for all its worth, and then realised the noise was my backpack flapping around. Thought I was about to be mauled by a Rottweiler or something.
More what I intended :D

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
18, 19 years old, somewhere around there.

Went out on the bike with mates at Anglesea near the old rifle range where FTF used to hold races, then hit the surf. Now I'm a strong swimmer, but I got dunked hard by three big waves, legs had nothing left to give and I went under. Came up with a mouth full of water and JUST made it out. I recall vision going black from lack of oxygen.

Unpatrolled surf beach.
Link, I basically went through the same scenario. Friends dragged me out of the ocean (back beach at Merimbula). The things I can remember are being put on my side as I was vomiting sea water and then waking up. Passed out apparently. This was around 20 years ago and I still have dreams of drowning.

scblack

Leucocholic
Not near death - but close:
In 2010 I was riding with mates at Baulkham Hills, down one chute section, clipped a pedal on roots, and careened at full speed sideways into a redgum. I felt the crunch in my back with agonising pain.

Then no pain.

No pain scared the f**k out of me. I thought I would never walk again. Could I feel my legs? For a few moments no. Visions went through my head of a wheelchair life, changes to house, not being able to play with the kids - that was probably only a second but so much went through my head. Then the agony hit again, and I wiggled my feet. Still scared as f**k but better I thought. I broke my transverse process on L1, L2, L3 and L4 vertebra.

Zero negative effects since. Very lucky.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Walking across the pacific highway at Nambucca heads 3 years ago. 3 lanes, immediate lane going straight ahead, middle lane for turning right, far lane for traffic going northbound.

Nothing coming from my right, and a Hilux or similar coming from my left. Walk across to take refuge in the right turn lane and then cross behind the hilux. Just as I look to my left, I realise the hilux is going right where my next step is going to be and I stop dead on the centre line, hilux passes at 60 odd kms per hour within 18” of my face.

It was not a right hand turn lane, it was the main lane northbound, the extra lane was a left hand turn lane. Hilux had assumed I was going to stop walking and hadn’t even registered me , so one more step and I was dead.

Saw my customer and drove 4 hours home without even the radio on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As few years ago, slack (easy access back) country snowboarding in Japan...I was with 1 other guy in an area nobody else had been riding for days.

We dropped through a narrow chute, over a frozen water fall, down the creek line, we're moving pretty fast as it is reasonably steep, then it opens up with our target area. It is a wide open face of powder. I push out wide and lean into a aggressive turn, throw snow up everywhere and I'm blinded briefly.

It is snowing lightly but we are working hard and the temp is not very low. I was burning up so hung my jacket in the chair lift entry area a few runs prior. On the torso I'm wearing a t-shirt and Marino thermal.

When I come out of the powder spray I am heading straight for the only tree on this piece of snow, at warp speed! I've got a few metres to adjust my line. I fuck that up and WHACK! I hit really hard. My mate is about 20m down the hill and stopped as he heard the impact.

I'm laying in the snow out flat on my back. I'm winded pretty savage and can't breath. The snow is deep, if I was standing in it it would have been mid thigh. I'm making a lot of noise, wet gargling gasping chokey noise. All I can think is that I've puncture my lung on impact and it is filling up with goo.

I can hear my mate calling out to me but it doesnt make any sense. I'm dizzy and vision is blurred. No matter how hard I struggle I can't get up. The snow just keeps giving way under my efforts. The noises continue, they are like those used in a war film when someone is shot up and dies in their sergeant's arms...

I make it up right! Clawing against the tree that felled me. Now I start trying to ride out of the little Valley and back to safety. My mate is riding along with me, he thinks the same thing as me - I'm fucked. He has a plan...I ride as far as I can and he will drag me the rest of the way.

We make it back in bounds and I get my breath back in one big sudden gasp. That gasp felt sooooooooooo good, despite it really hurting. Holy shit it hurt! But I was alive and all my melodramatic worry about dying in the snow was unwarranted. I did however break 2 ribs. That was a pain for a long time. But way better than being dead. That shit is a bit too permanent.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Breaking ribs sucks. Nothing like broken ribs to put the fear into you over a bloody cough.

Having a surf when I was 14, just after ducking under a wave copped a flying board to the head. I remember slipping off, then under, getting caught by the mext wave then fade to black.

All in all it was a peacefull way to go, And I remember being content. Then the block whose board clocked me dragged me out and resuscitated me. Fun times all round

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ nearly died...not actually died. That's a close arse call.

Surfing produces some great close calls with nature. Who doesn't like an unexpected visit from dolphins? That first fin...I saw a dolphin jump out of a wave right in front of a surfer one day. Gave him quite a fright! And the rest of us a good laugh.

I duck dived a murky wave and felt a rough sandpaper like brush along my face and torso. I thought shark and as I came up for air I realised jelly fish. There was lots of them in the water and I was mildly stung.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Jelly fish! I remember skiing up the Williams river, it was cold, and just under the water were jellyfish at 20 to the square metre. Arms were already tight, but I held on all the way to the weir, waited for the boat to start turning, and cut to the inside for the 5 seconds in the water pick up.

That was one near death experience, the second minor one was sliding along the water on my back unable to do anything and going between 2 posts in the water as I disappeared into the bullrushes and into the bank

Beej1

Got Dengue Fever 8 days into a holiday in Vietnam. Didn't know it was Dengue at the time, just hellish fever and vomiting and worst headache I've had.

Travel Insurance folk say "go to this hospital in Danang - good doctors there." Turns out the good doctors aren't there, but the junior seems to know her stuff. Dose of Tramadol in one arm (pain relief). Dose of Metachlopromide in the other (anti nausea). About 3 minutes later I feel very strange. Then I start sweating. Then my heart rate rises. Then they start trying to get a cannula in ... 5 times. Then wife, trying to calm me down says "What's wrong with your arms and hands ... why are you doing that?" And I realise my arms are locked up against my chest and my hands are pinched into an odd grip and I can't move them. Then I start asking "What the fuck is happening?" but my voice has gone funny because I can't move my mouth properly. Then my face starts contorting (apparently). Then my whole body is rigid and I can't move a muscle. My eyes are squeezed shut and I start struggling to breathe.

Every episode of ER, Chicago Hope and every other medical show I've watched in my life runs through my head and I realise I'll probably lose consciousness soon, so I start telling my wife I love her and I don't want to die. Then I start fading away telling her I love her and she's bawling and it's so loud with so many nurses rushing around and fuck... my voice sounds so stupid for what are my last words then ... gone.

Wake up about 30 min later completely normal. Euphoric, in fact, because not only am I alive but the headache has gone (Tramadol). Some American doctor from the other side of town and a Vietnamese doctor and staring down at me. Yank doctor tells me I had a severe dystonic reaction to the Metachlopromide. I wasn't going to die ... it would've worn off on its own in a few hours. Worst case I may have needed a tube if my throat seized up - which it sure felt like was happening. Junior doc had never seen or known this, so she jabbed me with (a sizeable dose of) Diazepam which relaxed everything and I passed out.

So ... while I was possibly never going to die from it, it's the one time I was pretty much thinking it was about to happen since, never in my life had I felt consciousness slipping away like that other than sleep. It really felt like life being extinguished.

Scary shit. I try not to imagine what the real version must feel like.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'm left wondering just how many stories my great grand father and his generation could have contributed to this thread, life is a whole lot safer on modern times and we've still quickly filled this thread with stories.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah, even my old man has a few blinders, and he’s only 55 odd. I was present for two (stroke out fishing one day just me and him, I was 12. And a big mtb accident 4 years ago)