2018 World Cup discussion

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Wash your mouth out with soap!

There will NEVER be another Steve Peat - the sport has progressed too far to even allow it. A young SP would be run out of town nowadays
Minnaar is an outstanding racer, but cannot ever hope to generate the hero-worship status of Peaty and the Old Syndicate (RIP Peat/Rennie/Bryceland!), with the support of a few others like Kovarik,Warner, et al

Just look at the Vanilla Syndicate as it is - excellent results, but just disappointing from an excitement point of view
Not even talking about the syndicate.... /shrug

Since early 2000s (14-15 years) Greg has been an absolute power house - like peaty was during his glorious tenure. Thats all. Chill out hombre :)

moorey

call me Mia
I've heard a few people say that, and cant figure out why. The kid is humble, enthusiastic, gracious and one of the most exciting and creative riders since Sam (imo). But if its because he took the win from Mick at cairns by a bees dick, then I can understand :thumb:

I reckon the 2018 season will be similar to this year: Gwin will be the man to beat, but not as dominant.

Minnaar is the new Peaty, the man just won't stop!
Nothing to do with Mick, goes back a couple of years:noidea:
Disagree about Gwinn. Reckon he'll dominate more this year, out to prove he wasn't default winner.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Nothing to do with Mick, goes back a couple of years:noidea:
Disagree about Gwinn. Reckon he'll dominate more this year, out to prove he wasn't default winner.
Not so sure there will be an increase in domination. It feels like the time is upon us for a few of the younger crew to step up their consistency and competitiveness. I reckon five or six will battle it out if weather isn't a factor.

I quite liked Loic but he lost me this year with his bitching about wagon wheels, not that I like them but I feel those who want to, should be free to without fear of retribution or ridicule.

Wash your mouth out with soap!

There will NEVER be another Steve Peat - the sport has progressed too far to even allow it. A young SP would be run out of town nowadays
Minnaar is an outstanding racer, but cannot ever hope to generate the hero-worship status of Peaty and the Old Syndicate (RIP Peat/Rennie/Bryceland!), with the support of a few others like Kovarik,Warner, et al

Just look at the Vanilla Syndicate as it is - excellent results, but just disappointing from an excitement point of view
Minnaar is an absolute professional. Just so calculating.
Probably something similar to Alain Prost in terms of preparation. I'm a big fan of his.
Just comes across as a good guy and can really ride. If not for his tyre/wheel issues he was a real chance this year.
And he always says it "Win or lose, we're on the booze"
What's not to like?
Won't be another Steve Peat. No question. He's a legend and pretty much IS downhill for so many fans.
But the old school style of riding hard and partying harder is gone. Won't win much by doing that or not for long at least.
Being fit is as important as being fast it seems. All of the top guys look to be carved from stone. No beer guts to be seen.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I quite liked Loic but he lost me this year with his bitching about wagon wheels, not that I like them but I feel those who want to, should be free to without fear of retribution or ridicule.
I went the opposite way with him, was neither a fan or a hater before but now think he's great.

Not so much to do with the wheel size thing, more that he just bluntly stated his position and why, didn't hurt that what he said made sense, at least to me.

kurtis1984

Likes Dirt
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even though they're about 6 yrs apart in age, didn't they start mountain biking professionally around the same time in the mid-to-late 90's? In which case, isn't Minnaar just the Minnaar, and Peaty is the guy who's already stopped*?

(*stopped racing professionally)
Peaty was racing for Saracen in the early 90s, Minnaar didn't race for a team until 1999. Chronologically and "professionally" (i.e. level of organisation in teams, training vs partying etc), Peaty was from the previous generation.

jbg

Likes Dirt
He also said Danny will have more fun on this team? Syndicate? Don’t hear too much about Saracen being a fun team, maybe some others joining a new Saracen team.......

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
so what's the deal with the changes to the amount of qualifiers and changes to protected/unprotected riders?

any articles or videos discussion this as i don't understand the ramifications of it besides having less riders in a race?

moorey

call me Mia
Brooke, Anneke, Jackson and Sam off GT.
Jacksons contract was up, but my source said a couple of days ago that Brooke staying. New development?
The team is scaling down, and the new bikes won’t be ready for the season. Apparently.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
He literally points at the Santa Cruz in the work stand at 2:28
looks sideways at the SC bike, points, then camera pans and holds on SC bike. Good chance Danny will be in the Syndicate, I'd say.
I hope he goes for the bombproof wheel option...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Doubt it, its too obvious. Just a classic Warner stitch up.
Meh... not like it matters totally what bike they are on, as long as they can work well with the mechanics and aren't running crank brothers groupsets and wheels made from boiled potatoes, then it's pretty much down to the riders themselves.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Brooke, Anneke, Jackson and Sam off GT.
That'll suck. My favourite team. Dorel just need to let go of bloody Cannondale and run it into GT. Constantly clearing cannonball stock and GT forever runs out... Or just leave cannondale for road only and GT for box-mtb.