Threaded bottom bracket in press fit.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've got a Kona process 153 and the creaking from the bottom bracket is getting out of control!

I was looking at alternatives and came across this Wheels Manafacturing one (https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/wheels-manufacturing-bb92-threaded-bottom-bracket )which is threaded into the press fit bottom bracket, which is meant to get rid of this problem.

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these before, or anything similar and what kind of success they had, or didn't...?

I know Hope do a similar version, but is 1.5 times the price for the bottom bracket itself, then another hit for a specific Hope only tool to fit it.

P.S. Dozer, I'm more than happy to do a review on this if you want to hook me up! :third:

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got the Hope and it works perfectly. J E James had the best deals on them. If you're in Sydney I have the tool.

The wheels manufacturing one has had reported problems. Search the mtbr.com forums.

Bearings are replaceable in both using either a collet or a 1 1/8 headset remover, see youtube.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
I'm aware of a couple instances where a WM BB has been used to replace a normal pressfit BB, no issues have arisen yet that I know of.
Keep in mind that you do need a specific tool for the WM BB as well. They do link to it on MTBDirect, but if you have a spare one to suit Shimano Hollowtech BBs I believe you can modify that with a file and remove some of the teeth to make it work too.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've had a few Hope pf41 in various bikes and fit them for mates with press fit frames.

I've also got the tool in Sydney if you need it.... they are flawless and never had a creak.

Worth spending $130 for a BB that causes no issues... especially pf cause a creaky one will break you will to live..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yes they work. Both in a Niner and a Giant. I can solidly recommend. But also solidly recommend that you read the installation instructions!

wkkie

Oddjob - I've had a good look on mtbr and can only find positive posts on them. Do you have a link at all I could check out?

Moorey - Praxis don't do a pf41 / bb92 version of their threaded, so that's out...

Staunch - I did see the tool need to install that well, that takes the grand total to ~$128 with that tool.

Comparing it to about ~$185 for the Hope bottom bracket and tool and I'd like to have the tool to keep for down the track, thanks for the offer anyway guys, appreciate that.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I have a praxis one for the Rocky...awaiting the creaking to start....
Moorey do you know if the Praxis would fit a 2014 Rocky thunderbolt? If not off the top of your head I'll go to the garage and check in the morning

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey do you know if the Praxis would fit a 2014 Rocky thunderbolt? If not off the top of your head I'll go to the garage and check in the morning

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
I don't even know if it will fit mine...bought it from LBS, and pressfit standards are the devil, and a mystery to me. I'll check what it is. It's still in box :behindsofa:

moorey

call me Mia
My frame takes a BB92....again, don't know if that means the praxxis I have will fit...:eyebrows:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Comparing it to about ~$185 for the Hope bottom bracket and tool and I'd like to have the tool to keep for down the track, thanks for the offer anyway guys, appreciate that.
Honestly, you will use the tool once... the bearings are bulletproof (even the standard Stainless ones) but you'd be better spending tool money on a bearing puller and a bearing press as you'll never need to take the bb shell out again.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Binaural

Eats Squid
A little note on the thread together models - the threaded side is usually slightly smaller than the standard outer diameter of a press fit shell to allow you to rotate it in. If the problem is an oversized or out of round bore then you might not eliminate the creak as the gap becomes slightly bigger and the axial tension might not be enough (especially if the shell is not faced). My 110kg self required loctite 609 retaining compound was necessary to fully silence my creak as well as fitting a threaded bb.

wkkie

That's good to hear there's a workable solution. What bottom bracket did you install?

Binaural

Eats Squid
Wheels mfg, this one. If that didn't work, I was considering getting threads for a t47 BB cut into the frame.
For reference I also tried a SRAM plastic cup model BB and the non threaded wheels mfg bracket as well. These were all assembled scrupulously following instructions, but the grease or antiseize moved and allowed the creak to resurface within hours or weeks each time.