The HiFi thread

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Wouldn’t have a clue, but want to know more about your requirements!

No need for DAC or other streaming inputs? Is there even a valve preamp with those?

And you don’t want to get it fixed?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
No DAC just phono, tape and CD inputs. Had an AV receiver set up as a pre but it has dropped a channel. Software related as it runs headphones ok.

Rega Planar 3, Cambridge Audio CD4 or Yamaha deck then to preamp then to sub highpass then to Audiolab 8200P power amp and to Sonique 5.5SE and thunderbox.

PrimaLuna looks the pick of thoseas far as I can tell from reviews.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Soooo, if anyone is interested. The PrimaLuna is the pick at this price point but the Minister of war and finance rejected the idea of a valve amp due to warm up and shut down. Back to solid state so I ordered a Rotel RC1590 and will probably grab a DAC interface too and join the 21st century.

clockworked

Like an orange
Sorry for the relatively noob question, any help appreciated!
When i was growing up my mate's dad had a sick home theatre system. It sounded like an actual cinema.

Is there a one stop option i can buy to achieve similar results? Ive got a couple of thousand dollars i can put towards it

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Since you are in Brisbun there are quite a few places like Todds or Aussie hifi etc. Have a google. Suggest you don't go to Northside hifi though he wanted to sell me XLR interconnects for $25k...

I am not into home theatre so cannot help other than that.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The Alfa got a pair of Silver Flute 6.5 and some Dayton tweeters. Crossed at 2800 with a little class D amp for 90watts per door.

Next part of the project is a MiniDSP once I figure it out.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The Alfa got a pair of Silver Flute 6.5 and some Dayton tweeters. Crossed at 2800 with a little class D amp for 90watts per door.

Next part of the project is a MiniDSP once I figure it out.

Wicked. You will enjoy miniDSP once you get your head around it.

When you go with a steep crossover, you can get closer then tweeters resonance x 2 point. Plus of course time delay, 3db oct rollloff to compensate for vicious reverb up high. Possibilities are endless.
Plus different eq based on road noise, takes a lot of bottom end to overcome 100km/h noise floor.

MiniDSP is a compelling product at the price point

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah it’s looks like it will keep me amused for a bit! I’m trying it out in the other car first - it is badly limited by 5.25 drivers mounted into the plastic door cards and dash tweeters pointing at the glass... It has some Vifa tweets and Focal drivers and a small free air sub in the parcel shelf but the OE headunit and speaker mounts are awful and needs some serious eq - if the minidsp can make that sound ok, the Alfa with decent speakers and tweeters in the doors nicely angled will be amazing!! Only catch is the Alfa will need a new speaker wire run through the Molex connector for the door if I go active which is tricky...

Last edited:
What are my options for streaming music from my NAS to an amp that has no Ethernet or Bluetooth inputs apart from a new amp ?

Can't pass through the telly either ( amp pre-dates HDMI).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What are my options for streaming music from my NAS to an amp that has no Ethernet or Bluetooth inputs apart from a new amp ?

Can't pass through the telly either ( amp pre-dates HDMI).
Cheapest option is an old secondhand laptop from ebay. You can attach fancy dacs from Soundblaster and Asus via usb.

A secondhand ps3 will also play music over ethernet or wifi.

Otherwise overpriced solutions from Sonos etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Laptop as above but get a decent DAC.

clock if you decidevto go 2ch hifi have a look at some of the Caxton Audio deals. Good value in your range.

scblack

Leucocholic
Cheapest option is an old secondhand laptop from ebay. You can attach fancy dacs from Soundblaster and Asus via usb.

A secondhand ps3 will also play music over ethernet or wifi.

Otherwise overpriced solutions from Sonos etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Hmm you give me some ideas there. Cheers.

I am out camping this week but I am going to pick some brains in this thread soon. I have finalised my Yamaha amp and speakers setup, just need to learn about setting up a NAS or new idea of old laptop.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A google chrome cast audio and an external dac is a viable option if your phone/tablet is android based.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
thanks for the tips. Did a quick look at the sites. todd's won because they have a few package deals available (as lazy as that is)

is this deals too awful to buy, or will it make my loungeroom sound like a cinema?

https://www.todds.com.au/collection...nd-speaker-sub-5-1-pack?variant=5048342773791
Pretty ordinary, won't come close to real cinema sound.

A better option are these if you can get the budget to ~2.5k for now, add a sub next when you can afford it, then centre, then surrounds

https://www.selby.com.au/electronic...7-2-channel-network-av-receiver-txnr575e.html

https://www.selby.com.au/electronic...standing-speakers-pair-in-black-laminate.html

clockworked

Like an orange
Pretty ordinary, won't come close to real cinema sound.

A better option are these if you can get the budget to ~2.5k for now, add a sub next when you can afford it, then centre, then surrounds

https://www.selby.com.au/electronic...7-2-channel-network-av-receiver-txnr575e.html

https://www.selby.com.au/electronic...standing-speakers-pair-in-black-laminate.html
sweet! thanks, thats good info. And those are brands i remember from my hifi aficionado uni housemate!