Bleeding hydraulic brakes after 1 year - worthwhile?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
@link1896 I've noticed that SRAM no longer even include the degassing step in their bleed procedures, do you notice much difference in the results when you vacuum bleed?
Yep, vac bleeding Guide RS or RSC , it makes a rear brake feel like a non vac bled front, eliminates a lot the sponginess. Makes a front lever feel rock hard and super responsive. The flip side to this, you're still left noticing the rear plastic lines swelling under pressure.

I work with dot fluid, my whole fleet of bikes use guides so no way I can afford to jump ship, but I still hate dot fluid. It's horrendous crap.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yes, I had to replace a rear brake line just this week and despite a token effort couldn't find anyone selling braided lines for Guides, specifically S4 caliper but I don't think that there is a difference in the banjo anyway.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yes, I had to replace a rear brake line just this week and despite a token effort couldn't find anyone selling braided lines for Guides, specifically S4 caliper but I don't think that there is a difference in the banjo anyway.
Uberbike sell a universal kit but they only have a very limited stock of line colours.

Goodridge kits are here https://www.tweekscycles.com/compon...ngs/goodridge-avid-hydraulic-braided-hose-kit

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
URL works fine for me.

Kit 111 is what you want for Guides I believe. I think I will be ordering some.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Uberbike sell a universal kit but they only have a very limited stock of line colours.

Goodridge kits are here https://www.tweekscycles.com/compon...ngs/goodridge-avid-hydraulic-braided-hose-kit

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Thanks, I did see those but as I'd had a nasty encounter with a stick and wanted to get the bike back up and running without delay I decided to stick with MTB direct, I'd just wrongly assumed that braided lines would be more commonly available.
URL works fine for me.

Kit 111 is what you want for Guides I believe. I think I will be ordering some.
Let me know how the upgrade goes Link, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Last edited:

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Here's someone that thought the 1 year mark was a good bleed interval...
1 Year Mark.JPG

My crappy phone camera can't do it justice.

stirk

Burner
Here's someone that thought the 1 year mark was a good bleed interval...

My crappy phone camera can't do it justice.
Looks like coffee! I'll be doing a pair that are 26 months old....... So will post a pick
IMG_20180203_171911.jpg

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm going to do a full flush of a mates m800 Saint brakes that I used to own. They haven't had a full bleed for almost 10 years. They haven't had a super hard life, but should still be interesting to see the soup the comes out. Hopefully I'll remember to take some photos!

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Damn... until I saw these pics I was happy with a "if its working don't mess with it" approach. Looks like I will be dropping into Supercheap on the way home for some DOT fluid...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
So I realise that DOT fluid is the devil and will eat through paint like a rabid teenager with the munchies would through your pantry, but what about the Avid/SRAM DOT compatible grease... is it corrosive as well?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This is a great thread folks. I'm contemplating a bit of brake maintenance finally.

Is there any magical special sauce added to the Avid Dot 5 fluid or any old Dot 5 from the local auto emporium will do fine?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is a great thread folks. I'm contemplating a bit of brake maintenance finally.

Is there any magical special sauce added to the Avid Dot 5 fluid or any old Dot 5 from the local auto emporium will do fine?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
I don't think avid run Dot 5, Dot 5 is silicone based. You can use Dot 4 and Dot 5.1, auto stuff is no different from the gen Avid stuff.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
So I realise that DOT fluid is the devil and will eat through paint like a rabid teenager with the munchies would through your pantry, but what about the Avid/SRAM DOT compatible grease... is it corrosive as well?
Not so sure about SRAM's dot compatible grease, request a MSDS if you want to see what's it's ingredients are, but the Castrol Red Rubber grease, which is used for every brake rebuild in the world thats automotive, is not at all corrosive, it's highly refined mineral oil derived.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not so sure about SRAM's dot compatible grease, request a MSDS if you want to see what's it's ingredients are, but the Castrol Red Rubber grease, which is used for every brake rebuild in the world thats automotive, is not at all corrosive, it's highly refined mineral oil derived.
*(petroleum jelly) / vasolene, without the red dye.