What carbon rims would you build with cushcore

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
So folks seem to be REALLY liking the Cush core inserts and having looked at a pair in the box at Pushy’s the other day they are tempting me to consider building up a set of carbon wheels. I have a spare set of hope pro 2’s I could build them up on.

What rims would you use with a Cush Core insert?

Bike is a Canyon Strive. Rider is 85kg based in Sydney (RNP, Narra, Kentlyn) but rides everywhere (Rotorua, Queenstown, Thredbo, Derby). Typically out and about about twice a week

Tyres are Maxxis 650b 2.4 HR2 and Minion SS. Pressure shows at 30psi on the park track pump I use. As much as preventing rim strike I run 30 psi to prevent tyres burping.

Wheels are currently DT SWISS EX 1501 SPLINE. These are about a year old and doing well. Minimal rim strikes. Pretty straight. Specs say they weigh in at 1730g

Light Bicycle, Derby, Nextie? What internal dimension works best on 2.4 Maxxis tyres? Will asymmetric give more even spoke tension?

Just read that the woven finish is more robust.

What weight rim would you use in partnership with a Cush core insert? The insert adds about 250g to the wheel weight so 500g to the overall wheelset. That’s quite a bit.

I like the idea of carbon for both increased stiffness and reduced vibration. I don’t like the lack of robustness. But I’m thinking that with the insert I’d get the some of the advantages of carbon rims but with better robustness and be able to run slightly lower tyre pressures.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
EXO single ply I think

Was thinking there was a saving to be had with tyres if you were on DH bags. You'll find that the more robust carbon rims won't give you much of a saving over alu. My 30mm ID Zelvy wheels were only around 150g lighter than the set of Flows they replaced. Both on Pro II EVO.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nextie Asymetrics - I have them and they are rock solid. Great rims... Built my wheels through Michael at ascent cycling enterprises- can't fault the build or the rim...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nextie Asymetrics - I have them and they are rock solid. Great rims... Built my wheels through Michael at ascent cycling enterprises- can't fault the build or the rim...
+1 for Nexties asymmetrics. The Spoke lengths come within 1mm length and 75% tension side to side. Makes for a very strong wheelset. Premium mtb can build the wheels with Hope, Dt etc or you can send your hubs.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Markee

Likes Dirt
Why not Zelvy? They have a brilliant crash replacement program, that I've used twice now, haha and am now using Cush Core inserts front and rear. Dropped pressures down from 28 rear and 23 front pre Cush Core to 23 rear and 18 front. Grip level difference is amazing. Have not noticed the difference in weight but I'm no weight weiny anyway.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
I have a set of Timetec carbon 650B x 50mm wheels that I think are awesome. Haven't been abused, but done a lot of XC riding and crossed the Simpson on them. Complete with bladed spokes and Novatec hubs, they weigh 1900 -odd grams a set, about 100grams more than claimed. Complete wheelset with tyres etc. Nearly 3kg lighter than Mulefut 26 x 80mm fatties! Took about 2 weeks from order to delivery, price was about $700 delivered!

I have a set of Timetec carbon 650B x 50mm wheels that I think are awesome. Haven't been abused, but done a lot of XC riding and crossed the Simpson on them. Complete with bladed spokes and Novatec hubs, they weigh 1900 -odd grams a set, about 100grams more than claimed. Complete wheelset with tyres etc. Nearly 3kg lighter than Mulefut 26 x 80mm fatties! Took about 2 weeks from order to delivery, price was about $700 delivered!
Wow $700, I would have been tempted to check them out for my super light

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
People are adding 500g to a wheel sets and paying a shitload of money for the enjoyment of this? seems insane to me. Wide rims and decent tyres with a robust carcass (900+g) all but eliminate rim strikes. I run procore on the DH bike and its amazing at stopping dings and burping regardless of the pressures (<16psi), but no way I am adding that weight to a bike I actually want to pedal.

Been on Zelvys for 4 years, the extra rigidity is noticeable and nice, however carbon rims are harsher overall.

Z

Zaf

People are adding 500g to a wheel sets and paying a shitload of money for the enjoyment of this? seems insane to me.
You gotta try it man, it's honestly one of the few things that lived up to the marketing hype and claims being made.
Personally, I'd take the weight hit every time for what it adds to ride feel and confidence in rough terrain. In fact I have them in all my bikes, Honzo, Stumpy and Slash.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Well, the marketing hype has worked! Even if they or any other form of rim protection paid me the RRP to run it on my all round bike, it ain't happening when that's the weight penalty.

Running a mix of exo (F) and super gravity tyres (R), 20-22psi, no pinch flats or rim dings, maybe a burp if i case a jump sideways. Careful choice of tyres is key, minion SS exo or SS rock razor are flimsy shit, SG rock razor is awesome.

On a side note, from watching a few races recently, from novice to expert classes, the good riders un-weight the bike and glide over rocky sections or obstacles with finese, while the rest of the field made up of hacks, slam into rock gardens with the suspension fully compressed, shit house line choice, straight legs, flat pedals... I presume this is a prime market for rim protection products?

Z

Zaf

On a side note, from watching a few races recently, from novice to expert classes, the good riders un-weight the bike and glide over rocky sections or obstacles with finese, while the rest of the field made up of hacks, slam into rock gardens with the suspension fully compressed, shit house line choice, straight legs, flat pedals... I presume this is a prime market for rim protection products?
Not at all, there are some extremely skilled riders using the system and your risk factor and advantages from running it will vary with terrain, Jared and Richie both managed to bust tyres open with rock strikes last season (in Madeira and Aspen respectively). EXO casings alone aren't guaranteed to keep air in my tyres out here in Alice, but are more than robust enough to avoid any problems riding in Forrest or Rotorua.
If you're riding flats, you also do need to drive the bike in a little bit more, because the other option includes having your feet slip off the pedals which is a far less ideal situation in the rough.

I've never even destroyed a rim in my riding, and have relatively few rim stike "snake bite" style flats, a lot of my flats have been side wall slashes or sharp rocks piercing straight through tyre wall; flats that Cushcore would be limited in preventing. The ride quality with them in the wheels is absolutely worth it though.
That being said, I've only had one flat (in any way, shape or form) since installing them.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's your thoughts on running them rear only? I bought a set and installed them on my rear as I've never wrecked a front wheel. I've only had one ride on it so far but it's been on groomed xc stuff (which is the majority of my riding).

Z

Zaf

What's your thoughts on running them rear only? I bought a set and installed them on my rear as I've never wrecked a front wheel. I've only had one ride on it so far but it's been on groomed xc stuff (which is the majority of my riding).
I think it's a bit of a complex equation. If you're using them only to reduce pinch flats and your risk factor for pinching the front is non-existent, probably can't see much use in running them up front. If you're after the traction benefits, i think you need to ask yourself how much rotational weight are you willing to put up with in order to get that, and how much will that effect the way the bike behaves in general? A light poppy trail bike is probably going to feel that weight more than a "suffer the climbs to smash the downs" style Enduro rig.

It bears mentioning that I'm about 90kg kitted (87kg in the birthday suit at the moment), and my legs probably take up a solid half of that. The bike as part of my system weight (even with something like the Slash at 15kg) isn't much, and I have the fitness and power to push a heavy wheel with little issue. A rider with less power to throw around will feel this weight hit more than I will, and their terrain might not be as constantly uneven and a struggle to main traction on, so the weight to benefit equation will not be for them what it is for me.

I also haven't had the issues with tyre installation that some others have, and I can see that doing my head in...we've all been there at 10:00PM trying to get a tubeless tyre to seat, I can sympathise even if I've not experienced it first hand.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Maybe ultra mega DH spec rims which weigh 250g more than current rims would be a viable option. At least you wouldn’t have to deal with tubeless goo and a foam insert

Z

Zaf

Maybe ultra mega DH spec rims which weigh 250g more than current rims would be a viable option. At least you wouldn’t have to deal with tubeless goo and a foam insert
All the weight penalty, none of the ride quality.
The business end of your crack pipe must be hot to the touch.

:behindcouch:

creaky

XMAS Plumper

What are you suggesting produces a better ride quality with the cushcore:

(a) less air volume in the tyres;
(b) lower pressures for the lighter weight carcass;
(c) something else ?

goobags

Likes Dirt

After reading up on them they do look better than the competition but I just don’t know why you would spend extra cash for carbon with benefits of weight saving among other things, then put a pretty significant amount of weight back into rotational mass while also paying for it literally.

Either I haven’t had enough crack today or I need more, haven’t worked it out yet and there is only one way to find out

:crackpipe: