Yarra Trails regulars

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Heads up, there is a sharp end of a star picked sticking 20mm out of the ST behind Bonds Rd. If you are heading downstream it's just after the trail splits to go behind Bond Rd (when you take the left fork in the trail as the right leads to Bonds Rd).

I put some sticks around it to hopefully get people to ride around it (they probably won't do much), you won't see it otherwise. To remove it some tools are probably needed, it looked to be in pretty solidly when I kicked it after puncturing a 1,000 gram DHF on the front.

Got home on the Stan's but the tyre might be toast.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Serious Trail Closures (by Parks) around Studley Park. All trails leading off the Boulevard down to the main single track have been closed. Most notable is the trail that starts at the bench seat/ lookout below the pump track. It used to run all the way down to the ST. Now you need to access the trail via the stairs under the bridge.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
We were warned

You will face trail restrictions, need for advocacy, ban on trail building on public land in most countries.
The three trails that have been closed were earmarked 6 months ago. Any trail that drops from the road to the river will be closed.
It would not surprise me to find out that the pump track was closed because of the additional lines added in the past 6 mths. Signs were put up and ignored.
A few people who have been asked to stop have ruined it for everyone. Selfish fuckers. What trails are next?
If we cant self regulate then we will not be taken seriously and the entire system will be lost. No wonder we are finding it so hard to engage with Parks locally- we are perceived as a bunch of trail punks with no consideration

Last edited:

Brother Maynard

Likes Bikes
So Parks (i presume) puts up a big and expensive metal fence to block off the narrow trail along the freeway between the golf course and the bike path. Maybe due to erosion problems, maybe because it's so narrow that sections of the actual golf course fence had been cut out to clear handlebars. Regardless, it's pretty clear they don't like people riding the trail.

So what happens? Someone takes a chainsaw to the main bike path fence and cuts out a new entry to the trail. Straight up vandalism / destruction of public property with an expensive repair bill for PV.

Next up - we have trail closures around Studley park. Not exactly surprising is it? Given our total lack to self regulate + people running amok with chainsaws.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
What a shame. I don’t get to ride there as much as I used to but loved a quick hour thrashing my bike around there. I pretty much learnt how to ride on those trails. I take it there’s nothing left at all to ride there ?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So Parks (i presume) puts up a big and expensive metal fence to block off the narrow trail along the freeway between the golf course and the bike path. Maybe due to erosion problems, maybe because it's so narrow that sections of the actual golf course fence had been cut out to clear handlebars. Regardless, it's pretty clear they don't like people riding the trail.

So what happens? Someone takes a chainsaw to the main bike path fence and cuts out a new entry to the trail. Straight up vandalism / destruction of public property with an expensive repair bill for PV.
Whether it was parks/golf course/council, it was never a great bit of trail..

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
o_OIve seen more trails closed over the years than ive had hot dinners...

Please explain why we are treaded like vandals out the back of the school shelter shed....

oh thats right coz we rip down the signs and keep digging when told to stop..

Why dont we work with parks instead of pissing in there face..

Or am i just wasting mt finger energy as no one give a shit..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Please explain why we are treaded like vandals out the back of the school shelter shed...

Why dont we work with parks instead of pissing in there face..
Because building a trail in a national park is essentially vandalism under parks environmental policy.. Not saying their policy is correct mind you.
Imo there is no point having urban natural parks that humans can't use.. Most of the natural parks in melb were not like they are now without re-vegetation (man made or spread by seed). So many environmentally/ culturally significant areas with mtb tracks are just previously mined/timber mill/paddocks that were treated like shit for 100+ years and now suddenly are areas of environmental significance.. The parks system makes them look like hypocrites..

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Because building a trail in a national park is essentially vandalism under parks environmental policy.. Not saying their policy is correct mind you.
Imo there is no point having urban natural parks that humans can't use.. Most of the natural parks in melb were not like they are now without re-vegetation (man made or spread by seed). So many environmentally/ culturally significant areas with mtb tracks are just previously mined/timber mill/paddocks that were treated like shit for 100+ years and now suddenly are areas of environmental significance.. The parks system makes them look like hypocrites..
Pretty simplistic viewpoint. Public spaces are managed according to a range of values and purposes. Recreation is just one of many. And an area does not have to have environmental significance for pv to decide they don't want mtb tracks on it.
Pv have a mandate of making parks accessible for everyone, not just riders. (not all parks though, as some will be managed for conservation, fire management etc) but as such, some parks will be made wheelchair friendly, some will be handy for walkers, some for riders and other specific user groups, and some left as wilderness areas.
It's not up to us, and we have little right to be shitty when, as noted above, some punks do their own trail work and compromise our capacity for working alongside pv.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty simplistic viewpoint. Public spaces are managed according to a range of values and purposes. Recreation is just one of many. And an area does not have to have environmental significance for pv to decide they don't want mtb tracks on it.
Pv have a mandate of making parks accessible for everyone, not just riders. (not all parks though, as some will be managed for conservation, fire management etc) but as such, some parks will be made wheelchair friendly, some will be handy for walkers, some for riders and other specific user groups, and some left as wilderness areas.
It's not up to us, and we have little right to be shitty when, as noted above, some punks do their own trail work and compromise our capacity for working alongside pv.
Yes of course parks have mutiple uses and not all parks should be for mtbers. I think you missed my point. The trails around ivanhoe east/eaglemont for example are within old livestock paddocks. Fences everywhere, clearly being cultivated and cropped for many many years and now left as a neglected weed infested scrub land.. It was ok for it to be farmed for 100 years but if a mtber clears a 30cm st strip through wandering jew parks puts up a sign says trail work is illegal as the area had high environmental/cultural significance..
Cutting new trails in Kinglake or Dandenongs is completely different situation..

The pump track area got vandalised just like any recreational area that close to the cbd in a big city.. Can't blame all mtbers of the actions of a few..

My issue is with the hypocrisy of parks, in the urban parks perverts can stomp all over the vegetation rooting in the bushes and they don't put up signs. Ride a mtb through the same area and they crack the shits..

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
... Fences everywhere, clearly being cultivated and cropped for many many years and now left as a neglected weed infested scrub land..
Neglected? Weed infested? Is that fact or your opinion? Regardless, this is how lots of reclaimed protected area starts.

It was ok for it to be farmed for 100 years but if a mtber clears a 30cm st strip through wandering jew parks puts up a sign says trail work is illegal as the area had high environmental/cultural significance
Trail work is illegal...

Look, all I'm saying is cool your jets against our public land managers. They're not anti mtb, they're anti people manipulating public land for their own exclusive purposes.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
we were warned about the trails that needed to be closed 6 months ago.
Parks have said they can’t have any trails from the Boulevard to the main ST.
Parks and many others asked that all digging around the pump track stop.
There are numerous people trying to lobby Parks for mtbing in the area but they see us as reckless and selfish.

You build any features (jumps berms) on Parks land and it will be shut down asap- liability perhaps.

The entire ST from Richmond to Grange bridge is very significant. It will be a massive challenge to keep the remaining trails open- Parks want them closed. It is easier to close them than to manage them for all Trail users.

We need to self regulate, collaborate and consolidate our efforts in the area. We need to form a group or join an existing one that can engage with all stakeholders. To date, Parks are reluctant to engage with individuals. I have been asking to cut the long grass for two years without permission.

Instead of fighting for pissy little trails in areas of significance why don’t we lobby for a purpose built jumps and pump track - professionally built.
The perfect location is below the Tear drop (road crit) and above Dwight’s Falls. There is a fire road running in there and elevation.
Form a group, lobby Parks, council, government- get grants and Parks support and do it properly. Get Dirt Works, World Trail or Trav from Youies in to build a sustainable and purpose built facility

If we don’t unite and get our shit together I can see the entire trail network closed

Well- that’s what i reckon. What do you lot think?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Neglected? Weed infested? Is that fact or your opinion? Regardless, this is how lots of reclaimed protected area starts.
Do you know the trails from burke to banksia? if kikuyu, couch, blackberries, english oaks, wandering jew, sweet pittos, privet, pasture grass, thistles etc are environmentally significant then I am happy to be proved wrong.. There is no maintenance by parks, none, it is 100% neglected because there is no funding to do anything about it.. There are reclaimed area's nearby maintained by locals, volunteer groups and local council rangers..

Trail work is illegal...

Look, all I'm saying is cool your jets against our public land managers. They're not anti mtb, they're anti people manipulating public land for their own exclusive purposes.
Don't disagree.. But they don't have adquate funding to maintain the exisiting parks or engage the community on usage..

redbruce

Eats Squid
Don't disagree.. But they don't have adquate funding to maintain the exisiting parks or engage the community on usage..
Red Hill, You Yangs, Lysterfield, Buxton, Warburton (and their respective community groups), Tikilara (shout out to Warrandyte mountain Bike Club)......................thats just mtb that I know about.

They have also been involved with Bushawalking and Kayaking communities I have been associated with.

Its not perfect, but it exists.

Get involved if you want to make a difference.
Yarratrails group (http://www.yarratrails.com.au/volunteer.html), Warrandyte Mountain bike club (https://www.warrandytemtb.com.au/home/) and Yarra Ranges MTB (http://yrmtb.com.au/) are all actively working with Parks to develop and maintain trail in the Yarra area.

Last edited:

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Do you know the trails from burke to banksia? if kikuyu, couch, blackberries, english oaks, wandering jew, sweet pittos, privet, pasture grass, thistles etc are environmentally significant then I am happy to be proved wrong.. There is no maintenance by parks, none, it is 100% neglected because there is no funding to do anything about it.. There are reclaimed area's nearby maintained by locals, volunteer groups and local council rangers..

There is no maintenance by parks, none, it is 100% neglected because there is no funding to do anything about it.. There are reclaimed area's nearby maintained by locals, volunteer groups and local council rangers..

Fundamentally, I don't disagree with you. I only have a vague recollection if the area from living in melb 7 or so years ago so can't comment on the specific value of the area.

I think big jd said it best. Until we know their agenda and management plans let's stop with the pv bashing.

This is is why we need to be careful who we vote for...