Hope Pro 4 rear hub service

teK--

Eats Squid
Looks like amongst other new videos, after 2 years they finally have a video for servicing this hub.

Interesting they no longer show the hammer technique to drive the new bearings in, which imho was a really bad idea. Threaded rod and washers if you don't happen to have a bench press laying about.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I thought idea behind the hammer was that 99.9% of the time the hub is part of a wheel and not easy to fit in a press.

Have used the hammer method in the past, need to be extra careful but threaded rod or one of the fancy hand presses from Wheels MFG or Rapid Racer might be on the cards for next time.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Soft face hammer with hope hub stand and proper driver is a thing of beauty.

Motion pro make a good bearing driver set.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
I thought idea behind the hammer was that 99.9% of the time the hub is part of a wheel and not easy to fit in a press.

Have used the hammer method in the past, need to be extra careful but threaded rod or one of the fancy hand presses from Wheels MFG or Rapid Racer might be on the cards for next time.
That's a good point re sticking a whole wheel under a press. Just hooked up some rod, nuts and washers for less than $10 at bunnings. Will come in useful next time I do headset cups again.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's a good point re sticking a whole wheel under a press. Just hooked up some rod, nuts and washers for less than $10 at bunnings. Will come in useful next time I do headset cups again.
It's not a good thing to pull from the centre of the bearing with plain washers as you can cause brinelling when there's an interference fit on the outer.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It's not a good thing to pull from the centre of the bearing with plain washers as you can cause brinelling when there's an interference fit on the outer.
Always makes me cringe when I see it done. I always make my drifts so they only contact the outer. Often enough play in cartridge bearings to use the old bearing as a drift to pull the new one in though.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Always makes me cringe when I see it done. I always make my drifts so they only contact the outer. Often enough play in cartridge bearings to use the old bearing as a drift to pull the new one in though.

I dismantle the the old bearing and grind down the outside diameter, sometimes I tack a tube on the end. I've been told by a few bike mechanics that they replace bearings consecutively in hope hubs every 6 months but I suspect that they damage them on install.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Sorry shoulda made it clear that I have the proper Hope tools. Only using the rod and washer behind the Hope tool which fits into the bearing.

saintberry

Cannon Fodder
Sorry shoulda made it clear that I have the proper Hope tools. Only using the rod and washer behind the Hope tool which fits into the bearing.
Can you outline this for me? I have to replace the bearings in my pro 4. I can get access to the hope tools off a mate but will only have a hammer available to put them in.

Anyone got a good hookup for actually getting the bearing kit?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Can you outline this for me? I have to replace the bearings in my pro 4. I can get access to the hope tools off a mate but will only have a hammer available to put them in.

Anyone got a good hookup for actually getting the bearing kit?
-Sjs cycles for the pro2 evo bearing drift kit, also works for pro4.
-CRC for the nylon hub stand.
-Ebay for blind bearing puller kit.
-Duncan at DIYMTB for Enduro bearings.

Use a soft face hammer or rubber mallet from Bunnings.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk