The stupid questions thread.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got / use an hydraulic log splitter?
I don't, but have 2 friends that do. Both rave about how much better it is. So much fire wood with so little effort, no sore back and shoulders, a season of wood in one day...all that kind of positive stuff.
Only negative is, you don't get warm twice from the same cut of wood.

Honestly though, if the wood is easy going splitting, with a good setup I prefer a block buster. I think the hydraulic splitters really come into there own with knotted or scrappy logs.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
We have endless wood. Log splitters are awesome esp for big logs > 1m diameter or stuff thats hard to split =apple box .

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looking at a pto powered one tomorrow. 30t. Easy to position big stuff and very stable stuck to the tractor. Might be too slow tbough. Will test.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I use a splitter on a Tractor via the hydraulics.
the speed of the motor is the thing much the same on 33 HP or 50 HP .Plenty of grunt though it will split anything or failing that just shear it.
In vertical mode no need to lift the block just roll into position and slide it under .
Biggest is 600 x 1 m diameter its a 2 man job w a crow bar but you really get a lot of wood out of it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's pretty and all, but I'm talking the fire omega...you know, split logs piled up like a house. Enough heat to shift the earth's axis...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That is a bit of an old drum at Lara. My firepit is the end from a pressure vessel and has been known to knock aircraft off their flight plans and we aren't anywhere near an airport! Pics to come when it gets colder.

Currently the wood is for the smoker.