1 x 12 on Shimano Freehub

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Just came across a vid showing a 1x12 conversion using a GX Eagle shifter/derailleur/chain and a Sunrace MZ90 11-50T 12-speed cassette on a standard Shimano freehub. The Sunrace cassette at 560g is about 110g heavier than the 460g GX Eagle cassette, but about half the price.

Anyone done this conversion?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
It will work as designed. 12 speed cassette made for a shimano freehub matched with 12 speed shifter and derailleur. Not rocket surgery....

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
...but you really need the 10T to get the Eagle range - can't do 10T on a standard $himano freehub.

oneup sharktooth is a neat solution for $himano 11sp.

Shimano 12sp XTR-DI2 is on the horizon, just have to wait for it to trickle down to XT...

Nambra

Yeah I guess it's only a 12 speed solution for someone who has Shimano hub - or at least one without an XD driver.

Will the XTR 12sp be 11-50 on the cassette?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally i see the XD driver as a great design. Shimano need to stop being stubborn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nambra

Found this on mtbr, supposedly upcoming Shimano XTR 12-speed - no idea how much truth there is in it, but suspect it might be bogus. How would Shimano get a 10T cog on their driver?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just make another new freehub "standard" so that we can throw away all the old hubs and keep the money machine churning :rolleyes:
You forgot the bit about having ever larger and heavier cassettes and hubs, because unsprung weight wasn't already a problem.

Honestly SRAM should just stop introducing 'innovations' and just focus on making their brakes and chains work.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJO

Oddjob

Has anyone ever got down to their 11T and said, "I really wish I could go another 10% faster right now"?
Nope. And if they did they would have been better off with a 2x setup to get a better chainline and more power to the wheel.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Nope. And if they did they would have been better off with a 2x setup to get a better chainline and more power to the wheel.
Are you high? My Eagle setup takes any dual ring setup I've had and drops big lumps of sloppy pooh on it. Eagle is awesome.

Oddjob

Are you high? My Eagle setup takes any dual ring setup I've had and drops big lumps of sloppy pooh on it. Eagle is awesome.
Except xtr/xt 2x10 is cheaper, has stronger chains, has less unsprung weight, wider range and better chainlines for most gear ratios.

Did I mention geo-blocking and shitty brakes?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Except xtr/xt 2x10 is cheaper, has stronger chains, has less unsprung weight, wider range and better chainlines for most gear ratios.

So in summary, Shimano make better fishing rods and reels than SRAM. ;)

Hey Nambra, can you link the video for me please? Keen to see it done.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Found this on mtbr, supposedly upcoming Shimano XTR 12-speed - no idea how much truth there is in it, but suspect it might be bogus. How would Shimano get a 10T cog on their driver?
They might use the open design that OneUp, Hope and DTSwiss colaborated on.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard

Far superior build and shift quality too...Coming from someone who is currently running 11 speed x01.

My old 2x10 XTR was the best shifting MTB setup I've ever had, and yep I didn't snap a single chain.

Don't even get me started on reverbs or that 28.99 BS...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Either that's a well-executed hoax, or someone at Shimano will be given the arse, because there is nothing about any 2019-model stuff on the Shimano tech docs website at present. A new XTR group is due this year, but Shimano typically have pretty stiff press embargoes in place until they're ready to announce New Stuff. Based on form from the last few years, we should see something within the next 4-6 weeks.

And as for the question of how they'd fit a 10T on their standard hub, they physically can't.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Far superior build and shift quality too...Coming from someone who is currently running 11 speed x01.

My old 2x10 XTR was the best shifting MTB setup I've ever had, and yep I didn't snap a single chain.

Don't even get me started on reverbs or that 28.99 BS...
I'd gladly swap you for my XTR 11 speed setup if you hat the X01 so much.

Nambra

So in summary, Shimano make better fishing rods and reels than SRAM. ;)

Hey Nambra, can you link the video for me please? Keen to see it done.
Here you go Dozer:

Pretty much all GX Eagle except the cassette - quite straightforward.

I've poked around a bit since and have been surprised by the number of alternative 12-speed cassettes to SRAM. How about this sub 300g NOW8 11-48 Shimano compatible alternative (not cheap!) to the Sunrace MZ90, or you could trump your SRAM 500% range with this 9-48 Leonardi, a smidge lighter than a SRAM Eagle cassette, and a just a bit dearer than XX1 for 533% range!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Either that's a well-executed hoax, or someone at Shimano will be given the arse, because there is nothing about any 2019-model stuff on the Shimano tech docs website at present. A new XTR group is due this year, but Shimano typically have pretty stiff press embargoes in place until they're ready to announce New Stuff. Based on form from the last few years, we should see something within the next 4-6 weeks.

And as for the question of how they'd fit a 10T on their standard hub, they physically can't.
It's bogus, look at the product numbering. By Shimano standards it should/ will be CS-M9XYZ-12 with X being greater than the current 1 for the 11spd XTR.