Who's running Coil over Air?

teK--

Eats Squid
Have done so for a year and loving it. Air shocks are getting much better in sensitivity off the top though but I love the consistency of a spring rate that doesn't change with temperature and altitude.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I switched to coil on my Rune a couple of years back. Absolutely love it, more traction in all circumstances and that plush coil feel.

moorey

call me Mia
DHX5 coil on the spitty these days...replacing custom tuned CCDBA....I like it, can’t say I feel a huge difference, even on small bumps, but does feel a little better on bigger hits.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've run a few different coils on my rune, i find them much easier to set up than air. I would like to try a topaz but can't see myself changing from the coil. Traction on rough climbs is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I've run a few different coils on my rune, i find them much easier to set up than air. I would like to try a topaz but can't see myself changing from the coil. Traction on rough climbs is amazing.

You mean buying new springs, as opposed to adding/removing a bit of air?
I find a good air shock much easier to set up.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm coil front and back. Blows my mind.
Just double check that your rear suspension will play nice with coil. If its too linear you could bottom out constantly.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I mean get the right spring, use base settings and it feels great without endlessly tweaking hsc, lsc, hsr, lsr. To be fair mostly talking about the ccdba

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Running coil rear and soon to be front on my ooold RM Switch. Just because I'm a fat slob getting back into mtb post babies.

Will have a bunch of more modern 27.5 and 29 air sprung bikes to compare to soon when I've lost enough weight. Expect I will appreciate the weight difference of air on the climbs more than traction of coils on the way down.

Ps keep a watch for real world (ie so so rider paying out of his own pocket for maintenance etc) fork comparo in the next little while. I've got a Fox 36 factory rc2, Dvo diamond, Mattoc pro2 irt, Pike rct3, Super Yari possibly with Avy cartridge, and X fusion vengeance hlr coil. They're split between 27.5 and 29 wheels and different styles of bike (dw-link, horst, hardtail).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a Fox 36 factory rc2, Dvo diamond, Mattoc pro2 irt, Pike rct3, Super Yari possibly with Avy cartridge, and X fusion vengeance hlr coil. They're split between 27.5 and 29 wheels and different styles of bike (dw-link, horst, hardtail).

Fuck me. I thought i was bad....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got a Fox 36 factory rc2, Dvo diamond, Mattoc pro2 irt, Pike rct3, Super Yari possibly with Avy cartridge, and X fusion vengeance hlr coil. They're split between 27.5 and 29 wheels and different styles of bike (dw-link, horst, hardtail).

Fuck me. I thought i was bad....
New baby (lots of lonely hours in the middle of the night dreaming of riding), everyone moving to boost, and facebook buy, sell groups created the perfect hoarding storm.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New baby (lots of lonely hours in the middle of the night dreaming of riding), everyone moving to boost, and facebook buy, sell groups created the perfect hoarding storm.

Haha. Yeah i can relate, got two little ones myself and do the exactly the same when i don't have time to ride.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coil is king.

Have run coils on two trail/wankduro bikes, Devinci Dixon and Reign.

The overall performance was light years ahead over the air shocks.

Small bump was amazing, so heaps of traction everywhere, climbing and descending.

Consistency was unparalleled. No spiking or wallowing anywhere in the travel. Just smooth and predictable.

Maybe a little less efficient overall for trail riding, but good setup can address that.

Just waiting for a good deal on a DB Inline coil so I can put one on my Optic.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Coil is king.

Have run coils on two trail/wankduro bikes, Devinci Dixon and Reign.

The overall performance was light years ahead over the air shocks.

Small bump was amazing, so heaps of traction everywhere, climbing and descending.

Consistency was unparalleled. No spiking or wallowing anywhere in the travel. Just smooth and predictable.

Maybe a little less efficient overall for trail riding, but good setup can address that.

Just waiting for a good deal on a DB Inline coil so I can put one on my Optic.
Dog speaks the truth. His Reign was the reason I changed, took one ride.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Did 1.5 years on a Float X2 and the new bike has a DHX2. Both have their pro's and con's. Definitely love the consistency and small bump on the coil but miss the poppyness and bottomless feel of the air. It is a really close race in my opinion. The adjustability of the air is great if you're loading up a pack for big ride can just add some more air.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Running Xfusion vengeance hlr on my cotic rocket . I'll not run an air shock again . I've had a few in the past float x2 Etc Coil offers so much more , reliable durability performance .
I'd have coil in my Lyrics if I could also .
Once owned marzochy Ti coil 66 fork they were so good