Confessions from the fuckwits

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It sounds like you need to lay down on the lounge, shelve a few endone, and reinstall your brain overnight.
In my (limited) experience, endone isn't usually a substance that assists cognitive function. I'd probably do something equally stupid and potentially more destructive. I'll just reflect on my life choices that have led to a habit of sticking appendages in harms way and see about making some changes.

On a side note, I don't believe we give our brake calipers anywhere near enough credit. They're doing some serious work out there in pulling us up with all that momentum working against them. The force that rotor hit my thumb with, having only the weight of the wheel behind it, and spinning at a piddly minute speed, was astonishing. Go calipers, understated MVP award candidates for sure!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
In my (limited) experience, endone isn't usually a substance that assists cognitive function. I'd probably do something equally stupid and potentially more destructive. I'll just reflect on my life choices that have led to a habit of sticking appendages in harms way and see about making some changes.

On a side note, I don't believe we give our brake calipers anywhere near enough credit. They're doing some serious work out there in pulling us up with all that momentum working against them. The force that rotor hit my thumb with, having only the weight of the wheel behind it, and spinning at a piddly minute speed, was astonishing. Go calipers, understated MVP award candidates for sure!

Have you seen the YouTube video where they tested a rotor/caliper to destruction on a lathe?

EDIT: Here's one

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Get some carrot sticks...it's good fun. And that endone. Get the party started.

on a side note, I'm currently all out, does anyone have a reputable hillbilly heroin supplier?
Didnt you stock up on codeine before it suddenly vacate bad news?

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*clears throat* ...so, I'm a fuckwit.

I have never built a bike before and I knew something was going to trip me up, I just didn't know what...!

Headset pressed in, no worries. Forks installed, stem on, handlebar and brake levers & gear lever tightened on, some learning curves but nothing major.
Bb threaded in, cranks bolted on finished with pedals - nearly there!

New cassette on, rear derailleur on, chain sized and connected ...but, wait a minute, why is the rear derailleur rubbing shoulders with the cassette? First thoughts, I bought the wrong derailleur - faaaaaark. So, jumped on the stupid question thread, and found out it could be the b-adjuster screw - nope. Not this either. So, after searching the weberous for the good part of an afternoon I finally stumbled across what I was looking for "...the bracket axle unit needs to be horizontal". I'd bolted the hanger on in a vertical orientation, who'd have thought!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
*clears throat* ...so, I'm a fuckwit.

I have never built a bike before and I knew something was going to trip me up, I just didn't know what...!

Headset pressed in, no worries. Forks installed, stem on, handlebar and brake levers & gear lever tightened on, some learning curves but nothing major.
Bb threaded in, cranks bolted on finished with pedals - nearly there!

New cassette on, rear derailleur on, chain sized and connected ...but, wait a minute, why is the rear derailleur rubbing shoulders with the cassette? First thoughts, I bought the wrong derailleur - faaaaaark. So, jumped on the stupid question thread, and found out it could be the b-adjuster screw - nope. Not this either. So, after searching the weberous for the good part of an afternoon I finally stumbled across what I was looking for "...the bracket axle unit needs to be horizontal". I'd bolted the hanger on in a vertical orientation, who'd have thought!
If that's the only thing you got wrong on your first build, you're doing pretty well.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If that's the only thing you got wrong on your first build, you're doing pretty well.
I do enjoy a good research, so I may have dodged a few bullets just from taking the extra time planning - I like to think so anyway...!

im a bit disappointed there was no "cut the steerer short" or some other rookie error....
o'well maybe next time....:D:D:D
haha the steerer tube/fork installation was my biggest "oh shit I feel out of my depth" moment. Steerer tube cut was crooked, but hey it holds ...I hope!

haha the steerer tube/fork installation was my biggest "oh shit I feel out of my depth" moment. Steerer tube cut was crooked, but hey it holds ...I hope!
Steerer tube / fork install was moment of truth for me as well

I used an elcheapo pipe cutter on the steerer tube and a rasp to tidy it up (pipe cutter rolls the edge inwards), turned out nice n straight

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I used an elcheapo pipe cutter on the steerer tube and a rasp to tidy it up (pipe cutter rolls the edge inwards), turned out nice n straight
Hmm, yes. After I did mine, I thought I may try one of those next time (I used a hacksaw and my thumb knuckle as the guide).

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers

Pipe cutters certainly get the steerer nice and square, and a deburring tool sorts out the inward roll quite nicely. However, I found that the pipe cutter I use also increases the OD of the steerer tube by a few poofteenths, which makes it a bit harder to get the stem on. The pipe cutter blade has a 'V' profile so it pushes metal sideways as it cuts (even going really gently) - if the blade was flat on one side I reckon it would work better.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The pipe cutter is a solid 10min job for the one I've got compared to 1 or 2 with the hacksaw, and the change in ID at the lip is the other downside. I prefer it though as it can be done on the bike, is silent, makes almost no mess (apart from final tidy up to chamfer the edge) and is near guaranteed straight.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pipe cutters certainly get the steerer nice and square, and a deburring tool sorts out the inward roll quite nicely. However, I found that the pipe cutter I use also increases the OD of the steerer tube by a few poofteenths, which makes it a bit harder to get the stem on. The pipe cutter blade has a 'V' profile so it pushes metal sideways as it cuts (even going really gently) - if the blade was flat on one side I reckon it would work better.
If you start the pipe cutter without a lot of pressure and the wheel isn't old and blunt, you don't get as much swelling of the steer tube and you can quickly clean it with a file.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you start the pipe cutter without a lot of pressure and the wheel isn't old and blunt, you don't get as much swelling of the steer tube and you can quickly clean it with a file.
Wrap some masking tape around the steerer so get a straighy line. Cut slowly and rotate the fork as you go. Clean up with a file! The fun part is getting that fuckiing star nut in! A $20 installation tool is well worth the money!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
You'd think that, but it was a brand new cutter, and I went as gently as I possibly could to stop it swelling.

No one quote that out of context please...