Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

Binaural

Eats Squid
What are the poolside trails like, is it same stuff that existed pre-closure?
I was there a couple weeks ago and the main trails down to the jump park are a little too short until the rest of it opens up.
I did a few loops with a mat last weekend. The trails aren't really very long- guessing from the map I'd say less than half by km are open. What is open is fun but it is just too short to be really enjoyable yet. I suspect that even when the rest of the loop is open these trails are going to be more weekday specials than a destination when you want to get a fair amount of time on the bike.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
I did a few loops with a mat last weekend. The trails aren't really very long- guessing from the map I'd say less than half by km are open. What is open is fun but it is just too short to be really enjoyable yet. I suspect that even when the rest of the loop is open these trails are going to be more weekday specials than a destination when you want to get a fair amount of time on the bike.
If you do laps of it some sections need to be repeated, but you can do a different loop each time, there is a lot of climbing there though, including my trip there (3km or so each way) and the currently available trails, if I do 20km total (so 14km worth of loops?) There's about 500-600m of climbing, so it's actually quite steep which means you can get a fair bit of speed on the way down if you want!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
The new, slightly changed, lava flow is great... I need to work out how to carry more speed through it to clear some of the jumps! Lots and lots of climbing though...
Yeah I've got the same issue, a few more pedal stroked and the right gear definitely help maintain the momentum between the jumps. It's really flows now and it's easy to over cook it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Local mayor rips trail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Who'da thunk Phil could go the gnar.

Here I was thinking he was a standard crusty old politician white man with a Queen Elizabeth picture in his lounge room. The MTB park is his only saving grace.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Who'da thunk Phil could go the gnar.

Here I was thinking he was a standard crusty old politician white man with a Queen Elizabeth picture in his lounge room. The MTB park is his only saving grace.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Well technically he inherited the mtb park as he's only been in the job a few months. it was the old mayor who got behind the original construction and then the expansion. Most of it's been driven along by a few members of council staff who are pro MTB along with the local club and trail builders.

That said it seems he's pretty open to the trails and further expansion, hope no political backflips from the former chief whip.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That video is rad. Did the chest cam dismount during the 360? Also shows that perhaps the stp wouldn't have been such a bad gift...(see other thread re buying bikes for middle aged men)

I always disliked Ruddock. I'm pretty sure the picture of the Queen is hung in his solo SnM dungeon.

Binaural

Eats Squid
So, I see from the HornsbyMBT linked on the council website that from the 21st of December that all trails are finally open about a year past their originally forecast date (better late than never though). They should really announce this better than on a twitter account given the amount of effort that's gone into this development! Looking forward to getting out there and getting a few laps in.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
So, I see from the HornsbyMBT linked on the council website that from the 21st of December that all trails are finally open about a year past their originally forecast date (better late than never though). They should really announce this better than on a twitter account given the amount of effort that's gone into this development! Looking forward to getting out there and getting a few laps in.
They have posted a fair bit on Facebook about it. But yeah you'd think it would be all guns blazing advertising the opening.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was out there yesterday and there was a bloke hitting the big jump line and riding pretty hard with no helmet, I asked him where his lid was and he told me it was at home. Ridiculous. Couple of other people without helmets too but they seemed to be curious as opposed to riding it.

Also noticed a few people in the last few visits using the haul road to get to the top as opposed to the trail. Probably ok on a Sunday but I've seen vehicles using it in other times!

nik_1974

Likes Dirt
Was out there yesterday and there was a bloke hitting the big jump line and riding pretty hard with no helmet, I asked him where his lid was and he told me it was at home. Ridiculous.
It’s called natural selection

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Another high point in life today... apparently I have steez. I haven't heard that term for a while.

anyway the groms I ran into today were insistent that I check out the following places that I should be able to get to easy enough from a train station:
- the moo, @ warrimoo oval (via Turramurra or Gordon, there was some hill related conjecture)
- jubes, @ jubilee oval (via Wahroonga station)
- castle hill bmx (via hills showground station).

Google maps show these places exist and there is indeed some riding options.

But knowing what I was like as a teenager, I have a high suspicion that any or all of these could be a stitch up. Imagine the laughs when the old guy rides all that way for nothing! I would have found the possibility that my misdirection was taken seriously quite funny as a kid. Shit! I even do it now...I sent one poor bastard on a wild goose chase around a Japanese village looking for a statue of QE2 and a corgi after he asked me why so many people in the town had corgis. I digress...

i was hoping there is some locals on here that can throw me some information please? Anything that requires discretion should be via DM.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another high point in life today... apparently I have steez. I haven't heard that term for a while.

anyway the groms I ran into today were insistent that I check out the following places that I should be able to get to easy enough from a train station:
- the moo, @ warrimoo oval (via Turramurra or Gordon, there was some hill related conjecture)
- jubes, @ jubilee oval (via Wahroonga station)
- castle hill bmx (via hills showground station).

Google maps show these places exist and there is indeed some riding options.

But knowing what I was like as a teenager, I have a high suspicion that any or all of these could be a stitch up. Imagine the laughs when the old guy rides all that way for nothing! I would have found the possibility that my misdirection was taken seriously quite funny as a kid. Shit! I even do it now...I sent one poor bastard on a wild goose chase around a Japanese village looking for a statue of QE2 and a corgi after he asked me why so many people in the town had corgis. I digress...

i was hoping there is some locals on here that can throw me some information please? Anything that requires discretion should be via DM.
Moo lives. Haven’t ridden it recently but I’ve heard it’s in good shape and riding well.

Jubes has been rejigged and reshaped into a mini-jump park. Think mini Bare Creek.

Can’t comment of Castle Hill.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Moo lives. Haven’t ridden it recently but I’ve heard it’s in good shape and riding well.

Jubes has been rejigged and reshaped into a mini-jump park. Think mini Bare Creek.

Can’t comment of Castle Hill.
I might put jubes on top then. I've got a few days off next week. But taking it easy, very close to NZ vacation and would rather not blow myself up.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
The Moo is the go.

Pack the bike for NZ and leave the skis/board at home.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The Moo is the go.

Pack the bike for NZ and leave the skis/board at home.

Yeah I did see the have decided to have a terrible season. I knew I shouldn't have broken my rule! But Chile just seemed too expensive. Oh wait...they're having a shit season too.

At the moo, am I going to be have fun on my bike proof slope style or will I be wanting the scout and chunky tyres? This is going to be a 1 bike trip.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
140/150mm? with proper tyres would be ample for me, there is potential in there to go ^^^ but if it's you're first visit take the little bike for sighters and make a call for the next visit.