New tyre size

BKMad

Likes Dirt
So on the weekend I put some spare tyres on a bike I'm looking to sell and went for a ride. They were 2.2 mountain kings, but they come up more like 2.1's. It was a lot of fun trying to corner at the same speed as I would on minions. So much so that after this ride I have come up with a new tyre size that I think everyone will be on in the next year or so. I call them minus tyres. Minus tyres are 1.8 to 2.1" max width.
Benefits of this fantastic new tyre size include:
- faster rolling, meaning you get up to speed quicker
- sketchy cornering, making even easy tracks challenging. Minus bikes are perfect for those technical tracks that have been dumbed down - suddenly they become hard again!
- sketchy cornering, making you more alert at all times - minus tyres require 100% commitment and focus
- sketchy braking meaning you get to see more of nature more often (by overshooting corners).
- smaller size means that frame builders can reduce chainstay length and narrow up forks saving weight! In fact I will work with some frame makers to build minus specific bikes that are completely incompatible with current parts.

There is a natural progression here though. Once everyone is on minus bikes, I will then introduce drift bikes which will be the same but with a slick tyre on the back for even more sketchy cornering. Once everyone is hooked on drift bikes, my final progression will be hospital bikes. Hospital bikes will have slicks front and back and will be guaranteed to put you in hospital on your first ride! How fun is that!

So what do you think? Is the world ready for minus bikes?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Pffft 26" rigid SS on IRC semi slicks with vbrakes in the rain was where the real fun was. The motto was "grip is a figment of your imagination" Kinda wish I still had that bike for the groomed highways that now pass for MTB tracks.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Pffft 26" rigid SS on IRC semi slicks with vbrakes in the rain was where the real fun was. The motto was "grip is a figment of your imagination" Kinda wish I still had that bike for the groomed highways that now pass for MTB tracks.
Oh come on, none of this fancy V-brake nonsense. Cheap flexy side-pulls or nothing!!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Tioga Psychos rules the 90s. Who knew there were other tyres back then?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Tioga Psychos rules the 90s. Who knew there were other tyres back then?
Oh yeah and I remember being ultra modern and getting a black sidewall set too. Wasn't there a smoke tyre that was a badass rear as well.

@Duckmeister My canti equipped bike died a horrible death riding a rock chute...... bent frame, snapped crank and two pretzelled wheels. The scars took years to fade out of my butt too. I actually stopped mtb for a few years after that and stuck to park bikes.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Oh yeah and I remember being ultra modern and getting a black sidewall set too. Wasn't there a smoke tyre that was a badass rear as well.
The Tioga Factory DH deserve an honourable mention. Still loved the Smokes but the Dart was sheer terror especially in loose stuff.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The Tioga Factory DH deserve an honourable mention. Still loved the Smokes but the Dart was sheer terror especially in loose stuff.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
We do tend to forget just how far tyre technology has come in two decades.

Last year I rode a fire trail we used to blast down as teenagers, hitting 75-80km on gravel with smokes, darts and psychos, with v brakes. NFI how someone didn't die.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Last year I rode a fire trail we used to blast down as teenagers, hitting 75-80km on gravel with smokes, darts and psychos, with v brakes. NFI how someone didn't die.
Feeling like you are young and bulletproof sure helps too. Nothing can hurt you then, well that is what we thought anyhow. Taking out a fully rigid or HT with bugger all front suspension like we used to have sure is a big difference. Suspension helps confidence.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Feeling like you are young and bulletproof sure helps too. Nothing can hurt you then, well that is what we thought anyhow. Taking out a fully rigid or HT with bugger all front suspension like we used to have sure is a big difference. Suspension helps confidence.
Riding the same trails as I did 20 years ago, thanks to better brakes, suspension, tyres, geometry and my own skills, I'm significantly faster. Still scare myself stupid