Guides yay or nay

What do you use on a trail bike?

• Total voters

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering what peoples thoughts about using guides and bash on trail bikes is these days. They seem exorbitantly priced for what they are and just wondering if they are worth it and which type to get. I have 1x10 and plan on going 1x11.

Thanks
MAS

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I run top and bottom on all my bikes. I'm not ready to trust a clutch for my riding style. No bash guard though. In my experience they just break and don't stop bad things happening.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I run a top guide and bash on my tranny. I kept dropping chains with clutch derailleurs so needed the extra help. No bottom roller, but it does have a bash guard. The local trails have a few low speed boulders and log hops that I've hit when tired, so the bash guard's definitely gotten used. It's pretty scratched up now so I'm happy I put one on.

I must note that the one I'm currently using mounts off the chain guide tabs, not the front derailleur mount like what I had on my reign. That one had more flex and did drop a few chains, although not as much as no guide.

clutch's are alright, but even xc racers that can run guides do so, which is saying something if weight weenies are going for the extra security.

moorey

call me Mia
Until recently, nothing. After a couple of drops during race on rocky track, top guide on most bikes.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
One up chain guide (top). Most expensive piece of plastic I've bought. (works well though).

damo666

Likes Dirt
Just fitted three top guides to our fleet of bikes....$12 each off ebay.

Good looking guides that are IDENTICAL to the OneUp ones, but are less than 1/10th the price!

Jpez

Down on the left!
I never seem drop any chains even though I ride rough as guts but have smashed my chainring a few times lately on rocks so was looking at the ethirteen bashguard/guide.
Holy cow that thing is expensive for what it is.

camo71

Likes Dirt
Just using the mrp 2x lower guide that comes standard on my trance , seems to work well , I've had to replace the hockey wheels which were quite expensive for what they are ....
I lost the chain quite a few times on my old anthem which had nothing and no clutched mech and a couple of times it jammed up pretty well which was annoying , so far so good with this setup .

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes! Thanks. But close to the $12 mark would he awesome. These things have to be some of the most over priced parts on a bike.