Yarra Trails regulars

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Red Hill, You Yangs, Lysterfield, Buxton, Warburton (and their respective community groups), Tikilara (shout out to Warrandyte mountain Bike Club)......................thats just mtb that I know about.

They have also been involved with Bushawalking and Kayaking communities I have been associated with.
Yep fair point you would know better dealing with them at hans.. whenever I have spoken to any of the parks employees around viewbank cricket ovals they say staight up they don't have the time or funding to engage.. Maybe they are just fobbing me off.
Spoke to Banyule council and they get the same answer from parks though. They aren't wrapped with the condition of parks land in the Banyule flats.
Funnily enough if you look over the Boroondara side of the river the park's land is better maintained..

redbruce

Eats Squid
Yep fair point you would know better dealing with them at hans.. whenever I have spoken to any of the parks employees around viewbank cricket ovals they say staight up they don't have the time or funding to engage.. Maybe they are just fobbing me off.
Spoke to Banyule council and they get the same answer from parks though. They aren't wrapped with the condition of parks land in the Banyule flats.
Funnily enough if you look over the Boroondara side of the river the park's land is better maintained..
As I said earlier, if not already, I'd encourage you to get involved if you want to make a difference:
Yarratrails group (http://www.yarratrails.com.au/volunteer.html), Warrandyte Mountain bike club (https://www.warrandytemtb.com.au/home/) and Yarra Ranges MTB (http://yrmtb.com.au/) are all actively working with Parks to develop and maintain trail in the Yarra area.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As I said earlier, if not already, I'd encourage you to get involved if you want to make a difference
Yes and as many have said before, we are allowed to have an opinion on the trails without having to join a club..
Let's leave it at that..

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
After being AWOL from the forums for a while, what a shit storm the Yarra Trails has become :confused: clearly I haven't been riding to notice closures, only doing the once in a blue moon jaunt around Candlebark.

When will everyone learn that Parks aren't the bad guys, they're just like your mate that you need to explain everything a million times to until they understand?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Needs a sign 'Will swap for ice'.

A bit harsh but, well, Giant owners that I've known just don't look like that.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Does this bike look familiar to anyone?

A couple of very “non Mtb people” were trying to flog it off at Cash Converters Ringwood this afternoon.

Have reported to Ringwood Police.

There was a FB post re this yesterday and someone posted up a screenshot of a STOLEN Poster of this exact same bike. No doubt.
Hope the cops got onto it and got the bike back and those two numptys are ‘hanging out ‘severely in a jail cell right about now.

green_chairs

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, new to riding in the area, is there a map of Hans loop, and any idea what direction we are supposed to go? I rode it this morning and there were so many forks etc I had no idea where I was going (I've heard the loop is only 4km, I did 12km), and most of the time I was against the traffic. I started the ride going anti-clockwise but after all the forks I had no idea what direction was the right one.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hey guys, new to riding in the area, is there a map of Hans loop, and any idea what direction we are supposed to go? I rode it this morning and there were so many forks etc I had no idea where I was going (I've heard the loop is only 4km, I did 12km), and most of the time I was against the traffic. I started the ride going anti-clockwise but after all the forks I had no idea what direction was the right one.
According to Hans the trail was designed and constructed for anticlockwise.

Beej1

First ride in the area for a while yesterday. The new ST avoiding the Bonds Rd crossing is sensational. Props to whoever built it.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First ride in the area for a while yesterday. The new ST avoiding the Bonds Rd crossing is sensational. Props to whoever built it.
Props also must go to the chainsaw weilding fairies in Bruce's loop.

...& how good was the dirt yesterday

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yet another WTF moment on the YTs today.

Heading home on the ST up by the Eastern fenceline after Belford & the underpass I smell something funny. Coming to the end where it drops back to the MYT I come up behind someone on a small moto (peewee maybe, dunno about motorbikes) puffing out fumes. He's obviously been having a hard time of it & drops down to the main trail, opens it up & he's gone. I faff about getting around the construction & hit the narrow rocky section towards the pipe bridge. Sure enough 1/4 of the way in there he is, stopped & realising he's made a big mistake. I'm guessing he'll find somewhere else to ride it in future.

All those Kew houswives walking their poodles along that stretch are grumpy enough about bicycles, they would've savaged this kid.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
We must have almost crossed paths, I saw that guy sitting at the top of the bike path re-join as I was heading home. I was on the bike path as I was running late after chatting with JD in the same area about 2 hours prior. The YTs are always good for the odd ‘interesting’ encounter.

Does anyone know anything about the cliff part between Chandler and Pipe Bridge being sanitised? The rock appears to be gone and ground looks smoother.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know anything about the cliff part between Chandler and Pipe Bridge being sanitised? The rock appears to be gone and ground looks smoother.
I was wonering about that myself. I noticed that big rock on that pinch section had been removed. I haven't looked at the Chandler plans but that section is a bit of a missing link in the MYT. Hopefully they don't seal it as a connection under the Chandler bridge & up to the MYT. Probably too much work to get in there I reckon. Anyone seen the plans?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
there has been a bit of drainage done along there. Spoke with Parks yesterday and highlighted concerns about all the exposed star pickets. Thats the second spot that has been sanitised- the other is a little pinch up to a wooden fence (towards the bats). It aint Parks- might be walkers.
It doesnt bother MTBers but I reckon some spots are getting dangerous for other users. Someone falls onto a star picket or into the river and there could be big issues.
My understanding is that there will be a cyclepath up to the Boulevard under the new Chandler bridge but nothing done to the existing river edge ST.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yarra Bend Update

The fresh trail that drops down from the Boulevard (just near Chandler) with the two big berms will be demolished this week by Parks VIC. If it is rebuilt then the entire Chandler area will be closed. You could go in and repair it- happy to help you. Are you aware the fine is up to $10000 for your 2 berms?

The Kew Pump track has been rebuilt but if anything else is built around it then it will be demolished and everything closed. If you lot focus on the Pump track only then you might find it could stay. FFS clean up your rubbish - its is a disgrace.

The ST from the Boulevard (below the Pump Track) past the bench seat that overlooks the Farm and goes down to the river has been closed so many times. Parks might be willing to allow the main ST but all the other lines below it cant exist. Stick to the main ST and see what happens.

You cant build berms, jumps, features on Parks land without permission. Simple really

A bit of give and respect is required around Yarra Bend. There are MTBers engaging with Parks to have authorized trails, conduct maintenance and help with protection. Others are lobbying for a designated and professionally build jumps/ flow/ pump track area. It is the most culturally significant area of the Yarra river and whilst most of the existing ST could stay- there are other areas that are NO GO. There are sacred sites, rare plants, endangered marsupials, artifacts, meeting sites and an assortment of animals. Parks have been slow to engage and acknowledge the need to change but it goes both ways. Communication is improving and is very positive. There are only a few areas that are problematic, surely we can leave them be and focus on what we have.

We are all seen as one group - dont fuck it up for everyone- please.

Happy to post any information I come across. Please spread the word

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Great work JD as usual. I don’t think the dudes building jumps at the pump track are on here or care but if they could just leave the area alone and enjoy the pump track and the “natural” jumps and features. Leaving piles of red bull cans next to a newly built jump is an invitation for Parks to bring a bulldozer in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk