The Tool Thread

John U

MTB Precision
Previous owner of my joint has used railway line rails to replace fence posts in quite a few places. He was pretty handy with the concrete too. Those fences aren’t going anywhere in a hurry. At least the posts aren’t.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I recall those old wide-flute augers too, except my old man preferred to use them to insert gelignite into stumps to move them the easy way. Imagine being able to walk into Bunnings these days and buying a few sticks of dynamite, slow and fast fuses and some priming caps.

Of course all that nostalgia is no good for fixing a bike.
I know quite a few bikes that a stick of geli would fix quick smart.....

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys whats the thought in regards using power tools on bikes? For example I was working on my bikes today and was swapping brake rotors so I figured it would save time undoing and doing up the screws with my cordless drill. I was pretty careful not to do it too fast etc to avoid threading but I'm curious to know if folks out there are doing stuff like this and if there are risks associated. Are there other ways to save time using power tools that folks are using? Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search but couldn't find anything specific.

Cheers Scott.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's up to yourself if you want to use them or not but a lot of people that don't use power tools on a daily basis normally cross thread and strip bolts quite often. If I had a few bikes to build within a week, I wouldn't think twice about it and also saves your wrist in the long run. I always finish bolts off by hand and never trust those sorts of tools for a final tighten.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You must have a very short train.

With power tools it isnt the unfamiliarity but the fact that you are working with M6, M5 or smallers bolts and screws. The things that do need torque like bottom brackets etc arent well disposed for power tools. Having said that I will admit to using an electric impact gun at 500Nm setting to undo a stupidly tight Bottom Bracket. I have a power screwdriver that is great for undoing multiple screws etc but the effort needed to do bike parts is so little it isnt worth the effort.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The really small bit drivers are great for bikes. Just be carefull and it’s all good, I know a few bike shops that use them aswell. I don’t cause I’m a tightarse and won’t buy any, and won’t go near bikes with my milwuaki impact driver, that things pretty strong and is covered in all kinds of gunk

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Anyone taking 6 bolt rotors on and off on an regular basis would be daft if they didn’t consider using a powered screwdriver. It would save time (in a shop the = money) and effort

Only a badly set up or badly used tool will cause damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I use a Bosch cordless screwdriver at times for longer threads when I couldn't be assed turning a tool. It does require some care to not cross thread things, it has about 3Nm of torque so will never strip a thread from over torquing

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I use a Bosch cordless screwdriver at times for longer threads when I couldn't be assed turning a tool. It does require some care to not cross thread things, it has about 3Nm of torque so will never strip a thread from over torquing
And its cute af. A mate bought a similiar makita set that had little holsters.

stirk

Burner
I've got similar with a low torque limit, aa very light weight tool that I'll never live without now.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone taking 6 bolt rotors on and off on an regular basis would be daft if they didn’t consider using a powered screwdriver.
Yep for sure. With all that locktite on em they can be a bastard the river dragged em straight out. Anything in the suspension linkages etc I still do up by hand and use a torque wrench as Im a bit anal in that regard but anything I can save time on I'm all for.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Does anyone have any reccomendations for ultrasonic cleaners? I'm looking at the ebay ones but am suspicious.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have any reccomendations for ultrasonic cleaners? I'm looking at the ebay ones but am suspicious.
Watching this. I need one also, sick of cleaning XD cassettes by hand LOL

My favourite tools have to be the Abbey crombie, chain whip and my unior bearing press.