Are brake lines interchangeable

safreek

Hi guys, any brake enthusiasts out there who could tell me if all brake lines are the same in diameter.
I have an old Hayes brake with a line that is the perfect length but the lever is rooted, would this connect and be usable on a avid lever/caliper with the minimum of fuss or am I going to have to get a new hose, cheers

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Sorry, I don’t know the answer but just a question - are the Hayes DOT fluid brakes or mineral oil as they won’t be compatible if different fluid.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think you'll find the problems begin with the banjo end of things. They look like they could be manufacturer and model specific.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Being Hayes the hoses are probably gunged up with fluid that has turned to gel or solidified.

Banjo fittings are factory-fit and brake specific. Most Hayes and many Avid brakes used banjos on the caliper end. Olive and barb straight fittings are generally reasonably interchangeable, but the shaping in the hose port of one lever will probably compress the olive in a different way to another lever, resulting in a poor seal if attempting to direct swap hoses. Better to sacrifice a few millimetres of hose & bung in new end bits - on the proviso connection at the caliper is hunky-dory.

As a general rule, levers and calipers are designed as a set with a certain fluid displacement in mind. While theoretically possible as long as both bits are designed for the same juice (which Hayes and Avid are), it's generally a Bad Idea to mix one brand lever with another brand caliper, because it can fuck with the brake effectiveness (although I'm not sure it's even possible to get less modulation than Hayes "light switches"; they're either on or off, no modulation to speak of).

Short answer: throw the lot out & get Shimano.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Is this thread an indication the @moorey’s hose isn’t long enough?

How long do you need?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Try lbs as Moorey suggested 2nd hand or it will cost the earth. Better off getting a goodri
Is this thread an indication the @moorey’s hose isn’t long enough?

How long do you need?
You are asking for pics? Can't help some peoples.

safreek

Tektro hydro for $44 bucks for a rear with the right length, are tektro any good. Seems almost as.cheap as hose

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Anything mineral oil will be better for you maintenance wise that a dot brake fluid. Less regular servicing, less dot burns and paint issues, and if you get hard up home brand baby oil works just fine.

safreek

I think they are not quite to Deore standards. You gone off the Avids?
Just been thinking of putting one of the acids on the stinky and getting a new rear for the astrix, comes with.a new rotor and all, I think the rotors.I have now come from the original Hayes set up from 05ish so probs better for an old banger

safreek

Anything mineral oil will be better for you maintenance wise that a dot brake fluid. Less regular servicing, less dot burns and paint issues, and if you get hard up home brand baby oil works just fine.
I do use a lot of baby oil, for man reasons, have a gallon in the shed.
One day I may become competent as a mechanic but at the moment my skill levels are about putting brakes on, putting forks on and that sort of stuff. I have a tendency to lose tools very easily so buying them is like giving money to a starving junky, good intentions but useless in the real world