Port to Port 2018.... and a great ride was had by all!

Minlak

custom titis
^ dang. That's probably going to be the technical highlight of the event. Any particular reason you have picked this leg over the other to sit out? Or is it just awaba's luck to be on day 3 where you'll be cactus from day 1+2?
Its honestly the distance on that day of 60KM and I would sooner make sure I do the start and the end over any other days.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
^^ I concur with Poodle for what it's worth. Stage 3 looks like the jewel in the crown for this event and if I had to pick one to skip it would be Stage 2.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Its honestly the distance on that day of 60KM and I would sooner make sure I do the start and the end over any other days.
Keep in mind that a large chunk of Stage 3 is fire trail that runs across the escarpment and therefore a great opportunity to sit up and spin the legs out in preparation for one of the finest descents in the area.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If I recall...aren't the first stages around the Port Stephens area? Through predominantly sandy cunt soil?

Fair call though @Minlak , day 3 is a lot of kilometres and there is certainly going to be strong vibes at start and finish of the race. What's the recovery day look like? Couples Thai massage and afternoon in the vineyards drinking bubbles? Or a stroll through the farmers market sampling our fine fresh local produce?

Minlak

custom titis
If I recall...aren't the first stages around the Port Stephens area? Through predominantly sandy cunt soil?

Fair call though @Minlak , day 3 is a lot of kilometres and there is certainly going to be strong vibes at start and finish of the race. What's the recovery day look like? Couples Thai massage and afternoon in the vineyards drinking bubbles? Or a stroll through the farmers market sampling our fine fresh local produce?
The organiser's have made a fuss this year about the course being changed from previous years to remove the "Beach" sections. So I am hoping less sand area.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That would be wise of them. Not a race for me so I haven't read the details, but in previous years I've seen the #toosandy brigade whine on. I just get a little curious what locations all the bike visitors will get to experience in my hood.

I also hope the race organisers do a better job of cleaning up than the lazy wankers that came through in the last race. Even after all their claims of cleaning up there was plenty of shit around. Which isn't all race related, too many regulars treat the place like a tip as well.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And I thought Newcastle was just a dump
There is plenty of evidence to support your statement. People love throwing rubbish on the ground. Side fact - a lot of the destruction of the 1989 earthquake here was disposed of sensibly in the local riding hot spot...glenrock lagoon.

stirk

Burner
reckon i'll give that stage 3 loop a crack on my own, ala camodude

when I have a bike again
Be sure to cover yourself in sharpie doodlings and dress super sharp for the ride.

Looks like a great all day ride. Any detailed maps to guide you or do you just follow the trail of empty goo wrappers?

stirk

Burner
Only used Strava once last weekend actually. My googlefu will need to be strong to find the way! Or maybe camodude can tow me :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just having a quick look at that map for stage 3...I've ridden, climbed, abseiled, and driven around there a fair bit. It looks like you'll be linking the awaba race area with sawmill. The fire road link gets a lot of dick heads in 4WDs and dirt bikes (a lot of responsible nice people as well) so be a touch careful as they don't often view sharing the road as an obligation up there. The sawmill is a lot of fun and an easy ride to do outside of the race, especially of you shuttle up to it! There is a bunch of other old single track merged abandoned fired road riding in the area as well.

Minlak

custom titis
I realised the other day that my current wheels were built when I was substantially heavier than I am now and designed to carry the larger load. With out tyres they are 3kg+ wheels. So I decided to get some new wheels for the Port to Port. i went with some DT Swiss 1700 30mm ones. These are sub 2kg and still robust wheels. lets see if they make a difference in acceleration :) I will take my old wheels with me anyway in case.

Also changed the rear tyre from a 2.20 ardent race to the 2.35 ardent race.

wheels.jpg

Only used Strava once last weekend actually. My googlefu will need to be strong to find the way! Or maybe camodude can tow me :)
apart from Awaba, its all fire trail and road I believe, pretty easy to find your way.

Awaba is all single track, easy to follow and is great fun if you don't mind a pedal

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
apart from Awaba, its all fire trail and road I believe, pretty easy to find your way.

Awaba is all single track, easy to follow and is great fun if you don't mind a pedal
Unless I've read the map the wrong it drops back into Cooranbong using the sawmill trail, a bit of a local knowledge kind of trail. That ride itself is partly old and disused fire road, moto trails, and single track with a few different mid-sections and finishes. But it is in an area where it is a bit easy to make a wrong turn and end up in the other valley or on a cliff edge (one of the routes rides along a cliff edge pretty tight! It is a great spot to ride. The return into Cooranbong itself will be on a sealed road I think. I've guided a lot of riders through here and recommend it for a great day out.

The ride from the top of awaba across should be all fire road. Just watch out for dickheads.

Minlak

custom titis
2C794D89-7284-4464-BA4D-3E65E943A4AD.png
Sooo looks like I messed up putting the new B.B. in it has been chewed out by the cranks. Luckily the old B.B. wasn’t actually broken so just refitted it. Might stop in at For The Riders on Tuesday on the way to Newcastle and get new cranks. Move back to GXP bottom brackets and cranks.
Went and “rolled” my legs over today for one last roll before the ride. 22 PRs later ooops.