Bike Wish list

Bikes are rad but ...

• I only need 1

• in the spirit of the Yes vote ... my partner owns my balls so I only have 1 nut and 1 bike

• Frack the 1 ... n+n

• I dream of having an office wall with every frame I've ever owned hung up on it sitting behind me

• I <3 Poll

Results are only viewable after voting.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I got the new bike 'fever' real bad right now for the current Kona Process 153.
Prolly want 29er, prolly aluminium...

... but don't really give a shit... I'd take any of 'em.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

With the recent addition of a Pole evolink 150 (thanks Nerf), I've pretty much got a full quiver. I just ordered an Avy damper to go into a Yari and will run it as a 29er enduro monster truck.

Would be interested in a Zerode Taniwha but I'm a chunky monkey and can put out over 1kw. I'm sure @Zaf will be along shortly to tell me there's nothing to worry about but I've already got a Liteville 301 and Focus Sam in that space. The Liteville in particular is already 200g lighter than the Taniwha frame before you add 2.4kgs for the gearbox.

I'm in the middle of losing my dad body and will probably buy a new XC bike at some point as well. I have a hard on for Turner bikes and DW-link in general so might go a Czar or Mach 429sl.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I'll have to be a test dummy for how much the actual weight affects these things. EightyOneSpices haven't returned my email yet regarding the Formula Selva, and a quick number crunch with weights on the bike build for the Nicolai has it estimating in at about 17kg with pedals, Cushcores, sealant and some decent tyres on it. Throw on a water bottle and a frame bag for spares and it'll likely be a practical ride weight closer to the 18kg mark, which is a hefty bike to say the least.

All the owners say these bikes wear their weight better than well, most people report that you only notice the weight when lifting it into a car and such, but it's definitely a decent number to be looking at. The change in sprung/unsprung mass is significant in how the bikes handle.

I have a genuine concern that once I try the Geometron/Pole/Forward Geometry ethos of bike my love of more conservative bikes may fade, and then that concern is compounded as to what I do about a lighter trail bike if this proves to be an issue. In which case I might just sell everything and start a Nicolai only quiver of two, and go sneak a Saturn 11 or a G13 with a more weight conscious build into the mix.

In any case, not running into any decisions yet, I've got three weeks for the frame to be ready for delivery, a honeymoon period to get through before I even decide what I do with the rest of the quiver. I am still committed to trying the one bike life for a while as well.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want a 26 inch frame with slope style angles, down hill strength, ~130-150mm rear travel, 150 or 142 by 12 rear axle and a 1.5 head tube! Oh wait...I've already posted this in the wtb section.
I'm looking into selling a large 2014 nomadc, 26"wheels, 142x12, 1.5 steerer, push link, dhx rc4 W/ ti spring. Almost complete (no dropper or possibly no brakes).

Might sell frame only depending on offer. Pm me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Shit Zaf - you are converted even before you are converted!
In fairness, you kind of have to be for this kind of investment. It's early stages of gearboxes, and it's a huge amount of money to be playing with, sink or swim kind of situation. I think the last few bikes have been gravitating towards this, and I was toying with the idea of a G16 two years ago (got e-mails and everything).

So there is a bit more background to the final trigger pull on it, but man...sometimes you just gotta invest in what you believe. If gearboxes were a more viable option, Boost would never have happened. It's also a Custom Nicolai!!! THe industrial look might not be everyone's cup of tea but this bike just does it for me!

Anyway, I will be very interested to see how it all goes. Because by all accounts, the undulating and flatter terrain that is characteristic of Alice Springs is not exactly what's considered the ideal application of the gearbox (most people say, spin to win, winch and plummet is where it's at); looking forward to seeing how it actually copes as an everyday ride kind of bike.

Z

Zaf

Have just run through the custom configuration page and sent it off. Looks very appealing.
They drop VAT off that price, but postage is still significant to cover insurance on the delivery.
For reference, my frame and gearbox with custom options and such clocked at about €4000, or $6800AUD. I'll also get hit with GST once it's cleared customs (but not on the postage costs).

Its not too bad when you look at it. On par with a boutique carbon frame with XTR/XX1/XO1 eagle etc.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
They drop VAT off that price, but postage is still significant to cover insurance on the delivery.
For reference, my frame and gearbox with custom options and such clocked at about €4000, or $6800AUD. I'll also get hit with GST once it's cleared customs (but not on the postage costs).

Its not too bad when you look at it. On par with a boutique carbon frame with XTR/XX1/XO1 eagle etc.

You fucking enabler.

Very soon I need to convince only the voices inside my head this is a good move.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Trip to Europe, pick up a Nicolai Ion 16 or 20 on the way and ride all the world cup tracks I can get access to, set of Industry Nine wheels, Hope brakes, Enve bar and a dropper. Then I need on old Specialized FSR DH and a GT Lobo to round out the collection, plus a Brooklyn Race Link

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Trip to Europe, pick up a Nicolai Ion 16 or 20 on the way and ride all the world cup tracks I can get access to, set of Industry Nine wheels, Hope brakes, Enve bar and a dropper. Then I need on old Specialized FSR DH and a GT Lobo to round out the collection, plus a Brooklyn Race Link
Aww jeez if we get onto collecting GT's I'm going to have this in no time

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Nicolai Saturn for XC, raw aluminium with orange parts, exactly like the one thats been posted around here. Probably sit in the living room for most of the time,

Tranny scout for all round riding. Wouldn’t change a thing here. Except brakes. Black hopes would be mint.

Cotic soul or solaris because everyone needs a steel hardtail, and I need one too. Green or orange frame with a smattering of blue. Probably set up single speed for the full zen.

The rise partymaster for the dirt jumps and whatnot. Fox 36’s at 100mm, profile all round. Shit yeah!!!

Well that’s my dream anyway. 1/4 ain’t bad!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@Zaf I haven't owned a DH bike heavier than 17kg for a long time. Image how many more grams the new boost 20mm fork axle will add!

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'll have to be a test dummy for how much the actual weight affects these things. EightyOneSpices haven't returned my email yet regarding the Formula Selva, and a quick number crunch with weights on the bike build for the Nicolai has it estimating in at about 17kg with pedals, Cushcores, sealant and some decent tyres on it. Throw on a water bottle and a frame bag for spares and it'll likely be a practical ride weight closer to the 18kg mark, which is a hefty bike to say the least.
Oh man if the Selva is anything like Formula's other products it will be a maintenance pig.

Z

Zaf

Oh man if the Selva is anything like Formula's other products it will be a maintenance pig.

Shit hey?! It looks so refined.
In any case EightyOneSpices haven't emailed back about it yet. I was asking fairly comprehensively about it though.

Anyway, there's a rumour that EXT have something new in the works for the MTB market this year. Maybe I hold and see what that ends up being.

Z

Zaf

@Zaf I haven't owned a DH bike heavier than 17kg for a long time. Image how many more grams the new boost 20mm fork axle will add!
I'll take that hit any day of the week. Also, isn't 20mm lighter than boost 15mm, less material in the end caps and axles because of the diameter of the interface offering the stiffness.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers

@Zaf, just wondering if you've enquired as to the full import costs - there's no duty to be paid? Everything I've read suggests there is a 5% duty on stuff from Germany.

Eagerly awaiting your PYR too!

Z

Zaf

@Zaf, just wondering if you've enquired as to the full import costs - there's no duty to be paid? Everything I've read suggests there is a 5% duty on stuff from Germany.

Eagerly awaiting your PYR too!
Yeah, it's not because it's from Germany though; comes down to 8712.00.00 of the Tariff advice shows that Bicycles incur a 5% duty rate. GST will come on top of that (and here's hoping they calculate it properly and separately, and not breaking the law by taxing a tax).
I'm expecting another +15% on total bike cost, and I'll argue if they calculate the postage cost into it (because it's SIGNIFICANT money).