Formula One world championship

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I won't harp on about my dislike for F1, I've hated what it's become since the team managers got more voice on making some calls.
Hey Oliosky, does Foxtel Now have ESPN on it too? Y'all know I'm an Indycar man and Foxtel didn't include it in this year's schedule so I and a few others chucked a wobbly and had it relisted so now we get all the races live again. Shit yeah! My point is, if you're bored with F1 and want to watch some exciting and interesting racing, watch Indycar, it's been a whole better than F1 for decades.

I watched the Australian Grand Prix and was mortified. I haven't watched a race since late 2014 and while I was impressed with the updates on the on screen display (timing, fast sector alerts etc) I was so disappointed in everything else. Why is F1 not appelilng to me anymore? Here's a few things that I reckon sucks:
1) The sound. Don't deny it, they sound fucking horrible.
2) The cars look hideous, easily the most horrible looking race cars on earth ever.
3) The amount of penalties issued is appalling. The bulk of the reasons that penalties are issued is total fucking shit.
4) There is way too much media on this category. They have designated times to talk to team managers, team drivers, team media reps etc etc. We don't need that shit, you're used to seeing it and thin king it's part of it but it's not needed. What is needed is better on track action with good looking cars.
5) There is way too much analysis done on way too much stuff. Stats are good but analyzing every single piece of data and sharing it to the masses is irrelevant.
6) DRS is an admission that the passing is inadequate. Fix the cars and the way the air comes off them and you'll improve the racing.
7) I've always thought customer teams buying certain engines should be buying the chassis with it and not having ten different aero designs out there. You'll never have equal terms with so many variables. A control chassis would eliminate htis.
8) There's too much time available on the track. Cut it back to Saturday and Sunday. I understand this could go both ways and the poorer teams may suffer from less track time but nix that by doing more test days.
9) How many tyre compound options do you need? Four? Far out, just take one compound to a race!
10) No grid girls modelling for a living and portraying the sport as the interest of the rich man and parading them around on the grid before a race is such a wank.
11) I've never seen one team manager interviewed and actually seemed happy by being in the sport. Fuck me, if you don't like what is going on then why the fuck are you there?
12) This category isn't an endurance race. The need to conserve your engine parts as well as gearbox etc is making everything lifeless. Trying to say that this approach reduces costs and makes it better for the less rich teams to compete is so far off the money. Need an example? How's Honda gone? How long since Renault won? How long since Toro Rosso had a belter? You're not fooling anyone, it's detrimental to the sport to force the conservation of high velocity parts so much.
13) The drivers are too personalized. The media has too much access to snoop around their business and broadcast what that person is like in their own lounge room. Talk to them about their race, their qualifying etc and don't make them out to be super heroes. I don't fucking care what they do off the track.
14) I think the biggest problem of all is that the category is basically a parliament existence and it's dictated by people with hidden agenda's that direct the sport. The on track action isn't actually the focal point of all of this and it is just an accessory to people achieving things in other ways. Lets face it, the cars are just mobile billboards advertising a few things and the end product isn't exciting. Yep, there's economical benefits and you wouldn't have a race in your backyard if that wasn't worth it to someone. Don't be surprised to know that the big reason certain drivers get picked to race on a team is purely to keep the interest in keeping a Grand Prix in certain countries to keep some money coming in, patriotism is a big seller.
15) It's too expensive to watch a shithouse F1 race. I'm chuffed that the other categories on track were a better show and really glad the Supercars made it a championship event. Even in the shortened Sunday race, the show was still 1,000,000 times more interesting than any modern F1 race.
16) F1 sounds shit. It shouldn't, it should sound awesome, not shit but yeah, it suits it nowadays.
Pretty much all this.

But I would also add that the shitty start times (At least for this season) will also kill it here.

I can only realistically watch 2 more of the races live as the rest of them are all too late for me

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Not sure if this has already been covered off, but the prognosis for F1 is not looking good for this year based on Melbourne's evidence. They've been making such strides to improve overtaking and spectacle and now gone backwards trying to speed up the slow (and as of 2018, even shittier sounding) engines to the point that there appeared to be a force field operating whenever a car got within 8/10ths (or thereabouts) of another car. DRS seemed to have no effect. And Ferrari have pace which means it's going to be a face off between the two biggest dickheads on the grid. Again.

To counter Dozer in Point 11) above: I've seen Christian Horner look happy a couple of times....

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I can't say I noted the engines sounded shittier over last year but i'd have to hear a direct comparison i guess.

Yes F1 has really stuffed up big time and as you said, it's gonna be another merc ferrari yawnfest.

Guarantee next race ferrari and merc will be top 3 again.

BOOORRRINNNGGGGGG.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
To counter Dozer in Point 11) above: I've seen Christian Horner look happy a couple of times....
You're right, he was smiling when Webber threw it arse backwards in Korea in 2010 and again in 2010 in Abu Dhabi when he made the call to make sure Webber covered Alonso so he wouldn't beat him to the championship...................and gift the trophy to Vettel.
I really wish Wbber didn't fuck that race up in Korea, he would have been champion. So close but a bloody good gig regardless. That year and 2012 were about the last interesting seasons for me. ;(

discofrank

Likes Dirt
still wish rbr would give DR priority over fucking max, kid screws up and gets rewarded .. yet time and time again DR shows he is the better driver
they did the same thing to Webber
hell even webber proved he was faster than vettel in the same car, how fucking quick would DR be in a merc or a fezza!

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yup, max is very fast, but he's also very dumb. Maybe those tactics worked in the lower catagories, but you try some dumbarse move, thinking, I'm MAX they wont expect this move! Against F1 multiple world champs, they just go f- off max you dimwit.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
still wish rbr would give DR priority over fucking max, kid screws up and gets rewarded .. yet time and time again DR shows he is the better driver
hell even webber proved he was faster than vettel in the same car, how fucking quick would DR be in a merc or a fezza!
My conspiracy theory is because there is more money to be made from germans/belgian/dutch than aussies.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Both Danny and Max are considered the best passers on the paddock, but Max is too stupid and fucks up too often. Apparently the most hated view in F1 is a mirror full of Ricardo.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Surprised there is no discussion about Monaco. Congratulations to Dan for taking the win but honestly how can a car missing its MGU-K keep ahead of another fully functioning car? I love Monaco but it has just become a progression with the cars longer and more fickle than ever. Those epic passes through the hairpin and tunnel are just memories now sadly.

I was interested to see Vettel's reaction on the podium and interviews after. That looks like someone who expects Dan to be his team mate next year. Or they are very good friends.

I for one would love Dan to move to Ferrari and get out of the toxic swamp that is Red Bull Verstappen racing.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Surprised there is no discussion about Monaco. Congratulations to Dan for taking the win but honestly how can a car missing its MGU-K keep ahead of another fully functioning car? I love Monaco but it has just become a progression with the cars longer and more fickle than ever. Those epic passes through the hairpin and tunnel are just memories now sadly.

I was interested to see Vettel's reaction on the podium and interviews after. That looks like someone who expects Dan to be his team mate next year. Or they are very good friends.

I for one would love Dan to move to Ferrari and get out of the toxic swamp that is Red Bull Verstappen racing.
With the rights going to Foxtel, very few people are watching it I guess?

I've yet to download it.

F1 in its current form is so bad it's BS. A few years like this, and it's going to loose sponsors and shrivel up. When I can't be assed finding an online stream, where the opportunity cost is about 15 minutes of searching, it sure is a bad sign.
GP2 is so much better to watch, should start following this properly.

And MotoGP just keeps getting better and better.