Frozen vs fresh vegetables and fruit

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well folks time for a no holds barred bro science battle royal, which is the more nutritious?

Flow-Rider

Burner
By growing a lot of Fruit and vegetables over the years, I know which one I'd rather eat.

Sorry, I can't tell you which one is better in nutrition, I'm not the fruity scientific type.:)

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
As far as nutrients go no appreciable difference. However it depends on what you call “fresh” most of the supermarket stuff is far from fresh by the time you get it. As far as taste goes that’s personal but fresh is nicer. My issue with fresh is it is too damn hard to get fresh that’s of quality.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frozen supposedly locks in the nutrients early on compared to fresh (supermarket-bought) vegetables. I just go based on what's easy, e.g. peas and corn frozen, potatoes, pumpkin, zucchini etc fresh.

stirk

Burner
Jeebus, fresh if fresh of course.

Frozen veg is crap and wasteful packaging, energy to freeze for ages etc. Peas seem to be exempt from this and I buy those, everything else I buy fresh.
Local markets are the best source of the good stuff but we have a great grocer at Winmalee, shits on frozen or 'super'market crap.

Nutritious value might be similar but taste and texture rule when eating them.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
If you've grown your own veggies, you know what the flavour can be like.

If we rate home grown as 10 for flavour and nutrition,
Same for eggs. We have a large flock (which gained more chicks today) and the eggs from them as opposed to the battery hen/supermarket is astounding

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Neither.
Just get the bags of allens. Made with real fruit!
Thank fuck someone has the answer I want to hear! Will stop at Coles tonight for sure and stock up!

You have dirt now so grow some veggies and herbs amongst the other herbs...
Dirt? Me? You're thinking of most other people...unless you've seen the dust build up on my balcony?

I really should've been more specific in my original post. I did mean "supermarket fresh" rather than home grown. Even if I had the space I'm too lazy to grow my own. I've tried quite a few times, even have me a fairly green thumb, but fuck it. Who has time to weed a garden?

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same for eggs. We have a large flock (which gained more chicks today) and the eggs from them as opposed to the battery hen/supermarket is astounding
Agree with you there - anything other than fresh eggs just lack any kind of flavour.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Same here, have 5 chooks, but their eggs still don't complete for on your tongue furriness of my great grand mothers big reds from 30 years ago.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
What about frozen eggs?
Never seen a frozen egg, whilst I am tempted to freeze one to your amusement, the Mrs will go not when it explodes in the freezer.

What about fake chinese eggs, not sure I am convinced anything healthy is inside one of those.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Never seen a frozen egg, whilst I am tempted to freeze one to your amusement, the Mrs will go not when it explodes in the freezer.

What about fake chinese eggs, not sure I am convinced anything healthy is inside one of those.
Fake what now?

I've had eggs partially freeze when the fridge has been over active. Not a total write off.

If you plan to throw an egg in the deep fryer, get it out of the shell first!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thank fuck someone has the answer I want to hear! Will stop at Coles tonight for sure and stock up!

Dirt? Me? You're thinking of most other people...unless you've seen the dust build up on my balcony?

I really should've been more specific in my original post. I did mean "supermarket fresh" rather than home grown. Even if I had the space I'm too lazy to grow my own. I've tried quite a few times, even have me a fairly green thumb, but fuck it. Who has time to weed a garden?
Grow them in an old bath tub or pots.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Best thing to do with eggs is boil a couple and then put them back with the uncooked ones. Dont eat eggs until the mirth occurs.