Frozen vs fresh vegetables and fruit

safreek

Also remember that most bacon comes from overseas. Shitty tasting stuff. If you buy from a shopping centre style store have a crack at bertucchi Bacon or ham. Aussie grown, slaughtered and processed in Australia by Aussie farmers and workers.
Or go to a real butcher but still beware.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Also remember that most bacon comes from overseas. Shitty tasting stuff. If you buy from a shopping centre style store have a crack at bertucchi Bacon or ham. Aussie grown, slaughtered and processed in Australia by Aussie farmers and workers.
Or go to a real butcher but still beware.
Brain straining to work here, but something to do with bones...pork and pork products can't be imported if they are still on the bone. I can't recall the finer details.

I used Bertocchi hams at Christmas time. I was very pleased with the quality and price of their products. I would buy them again. I am not affiliated with Bertocchi or their retailing network.

So if pork is 50% the fat of beef why is bacon so baaaad? Is it the fat and rind? The salt? The deliciousness?

Or is it that pigs are supposed to be smart yet 2/3 build houses from inappropriate materials?
Well here is where it all gets complicated...you could make the bacon out of any meat you like; the smoking, salting, curing, preserving, and processing are the issue. This goes for all those delicious cured meats...oh man imagine a life without bacon, kransky, or chorizo!!! It just wouldn't be worth living would it? I'm not sure how this goes for vegetarian or vegan bacon inspired products.

On the flip side pork belly or boneless loin chops, and the rest of the fine beast! Here is a handy diagram for educational purposes:

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've been watching a lot of those "check my smoke rings..." videos recently. That black outside and soft juicey pink inside gets the tummy grumbling!

stirk

Burner
While we are on the subject of bacony goodness.

These guys are fantastic- some of the nicest tasting stuff I've had in years, they have ruined supermarket sausages, ham and bacon for me.

http://www.blackforestsmokehouse.com.au/
My local Springwood butcher rocks the best bacon, so smokey and shaped in an oval not the usual long rectangle, english pork bangers to die for and chunky sweet ham, best butcher in the mountains. If your up this way pop in, only butcher on the main street, Moore and Sons.

Aged rack of beef ribs, winters coming time to get smoking!

And pinky poods, again I'll say it, frozen veg suck except peas, they are good for bruises.

Maybe nutritious but not delicious - CLOSE THREAD

safreek

Hepatitis in the frozen pomegranate from Egypt, see companies still do give those little extras in the pack.
Buy Aust grown or you will,.I say will get some horrible germ or virus.
Yes I know about the rockmellons, but, I blame imported fertilizer

redbruce

Eats Squid
Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I put the flavour aspect to the test tonight! Steamed carrots + mixed winter veggies + peas. All frozen! It might be the fresh crushed garlic fried in butter with a little rosemary that I stirred through them doing all the talking, but...they taste just fine to me. Racked up a pretty big bowl and won't have anything else with them as a test...I'll probably break and eat some eggs or the delicious home made turkey burgers I've got in the fridge when I get home from a ride tonight.

DSC_2900~3.JPG

But the question remains, what is healthier? Supermarket fresh or snap frozen?