Latest eMTB tech

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
6000 euros (nearly 10k au) for a 30lb hardtail

Comes with a 250wh battery and gives you 200w support, sounds like 1h 15m into a ride, you end up with a flat 30lb hardtail.
You assume that for an hour the rider isnt pedalling. If a rider pumps out between 150 and 250W and the bike is, say, 50% harder to pedal you are still going to get a good three hour ride. If you you assist up the hills then possibly longer.

Last edited:

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes

binner

Hath shat hymself
Pretty cool bike. Hex wrench battery removal is a little annoying (Haibike clips out and has key). I think carbon frames are the way to help reduce weight but they are ultra expensive.
yeah, I am looking at Haibike also, I think you wouldn't really need to be removing the battery much out of the Pivot as it is able to be charged onbike. unless your doing all day ride and lumping another battpack in your backpac :eek::D

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
yeah, I am looking at Haibike also, I think you wouldn't really need to be removing the battery much out of the Pivot as it is able to be charged onbike. unless your doing all day ride and lumping another battpack in your backpac :eek::D
I prefer choice of both. You can charge on the bike on Haibike or you can remove without tools in seconds (i guess you do need a key but thats because the batteries are worth about $1000).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You assume that for an hour the rider isnt pedalling. If a rider pumps out between 150 and 250W and the bike is, say, 50% harder to pedal you are still going to get a good three hour ride. If you you assist up the hills then possibly longer.
It doesn't really work like that, like the old saying, 'It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster'.

You pick your 'assist level' and you get that, if its giving you 200w and you input 150w, you have 350w going down. If you go with a lower setting, then yes, you will get longer... but like anything, they like to spoof the real facts and replace with fluff. How much is the lowest setting of assist ? Would need to be low to get anything out of the 250wh battery.

Riding on 'Boost' on my Giant Full-E (wifies bike), it says the 100% full 500wh battery range is ~57km on full boost... I would take that I could ride for 57km up hill on full assist, therefore a ride, starting and finishing at the same place, I could ride 114km on full boost, 50% uphill, 50% downhill.
In reality, it doesn't work out like that.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a shameless plug, but if any of you guys are located in Melbourne, Yarra Valley Cycles & Advance Traders are having a big E-bike demo day next weekend at Silvan on the latest Meridas.

Silvan is very much up and down, so a great place to give these things a go. It’s seriously fun!

upload_2018-6-16_10-7-47.jpeg

binner

Hath shat hymself
more Georgia

and found this reply on a site, kinda sums it up..
"stop fucking crying e bikes are here and guess what people are riding them like it or not it won’t affect anyones day or ride its all the same, pedal up shred back down but now we can do the pedal back up a lot quicker.people stop crying if you don’t wanna ride one don’t, just don’t fucking tell people what you think they should ride go ride your shit and shut the fuck up.piece out"

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
E-bike specific chain lube is now available:

https://www.pushys.com.au/finish-line-e-bike-chain-lube-120ml.html

Further details:

"e-Bikes can generate upwards of 960 watts of instantaneous and sustainable power output. This, in turn, places specific demands on the drivetrain which soar way above and beyond anything previously seen on traditional bicycles. In order to keep your e-bike in tip-top condition it is crucial that it be serviced with a lubricant which will not only withstand the high torque associated with electric assist drivetrains, but will shed dirt, prevent premature wear, and provide superior protection against rust and corrosion."

"Adhering to e-Bike manufacturer specifications and using all of the latest technology at their disposal, Finish Line have bottled a wet-style lube, with water repelling polymers, which excels in adverse conditions."

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
E-bike specific chain lube is now available:

https://www.pushys.com.au/finish-line-e-bike-chain-lube-120ml.html

Further details:

"e-Bikes can generate upwards of 960 watts of instantaneous and sustainable power output. This, in turn, places specific demands on the drivetrain which soar way above and beyond anything previously seen on traditional bicycles. In order to keep your e-bike in tip-top condition it is crucial that it be serviced with a lubricant which will not only withstand the high torque associated with electric assist drivetrains, but will shed dirt, prevent premature wear, and provide superior protection against rust and corrosion."

"Adhering to e-Bike manufacturer specifications and using all of the latest technology at their disposal, Finish Line have bottled a wet-style lube, with water repelling polymers, which excels in adverse conditions."
I wonder if its the same stuff in different bottle or if its genuinely different from normal lube. Sounds a bit like the different types of panadol that target different areas when in fact that was proven to be untrue