somewhere, someone is having a worse day than you

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those poor young thai lads in that cave. I can imagine being trapped, it's not a nice place.!
No escape from having to listen on as navy seals explain to them 24/7 about how fucking awesome it is being a navy seal, how the shinny ass brass wont let em do a rescue so we can all get out of the stinking shitter cave and hit the pattaya bars, how awesome it is to be a navy seal, and how the shiny ass seat polishers wont let us rescue you, and how aweseome it is to be a navy seal, and how shit the gear is the other use - wouldn't trust that thai seal equipment bro - only draeger, the safety's off - don't touch the trigger, ....., ...., ...
The non-swimmers will likely be sneaking off and slowly walking into the water - trying not to make a splash - just like they've heard how it's done for the last 48 hours.

Scarred for life those boys,

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I got lost in a small cave network one time, for about 3 hours. I knew my friends would come back and get me, I just wasn't sure how long they would let me wait. The kids in question must be having an incredibly shit time. Knowing escape is possible but patience is needed must be very difficult for them and their families. I thought they would have perished prior to the big news reveal. Hopefully a solution can be found.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put the bong down......
no drugs required, just spare time and wifi.
They're in good hands, and they're finally listening with a little more intent to mine rescue and mine engineers about risk and options, ground stability, air, weather and water control and risks beyond fitting masks and skull dragging them out - all a days work for those at the pointy end of underground mining, not the typical skillset drilled into special ops types

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Been meaning to read up on this incident but havent had a chance yet. Certainly amazing they had all survived for the 13? Days before outside contact was made.

Im assuming they had likely run out of any illumination sources after a couple days.

We have a granite bolder cave not to far away which we like to explore a few times a year. The first time we decided to switch it up and do it in reverse, we found ourselved turned around a few times and spent about 6hrs unable to progress any further. Few friends started to get quite stressed out but as soon as the decision was made to stop trying to continue ‘through’ the cave to the other end, i knew exactly which way ‘back’ was and we were out in 5minutes. My buddies had lost all sense of location and we’re starting to freak out.

(Later learned some very old paint had been cleaned out of the cave which we were trying to locate and didnt move on as we were expecting to see the it).

If you were to run out of batteries down there you’d have to sit tight and not move an inch and wait for rescue otherwise you’d likely fall between boulders some the size of small houses! Every year there are a couple of rescues there, iirc some have been stuck in there for up to 48hrs before the alarms been raised.

Fingers crossed everyone is recovered safely over there.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're alive, there's plans in place for emergency evac for extreme health reasons, there's piezo's and other ground water monitoring in place, now it's now up to those in charge to keep it that way. If they listen to the right people and make the right decisions it'll stay that way.
Narcissistic billionaire fuckers distracting the second and third tier decision makers for their own personal gain never helps, but Stanford boys will always try to profit out of someone else's crisis if there's a buck to be made and self promotion to be gained. How many tesla powerwalls and tunnel boring machines will he sell i wonder?

stirk

Burner
They crawled through some small spaces to get where they are, likely out of despair to find a way out. Horrifying ordeal for them. Hooefully the noises they could hear are coming in from a nearby crack they can pulled through.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I got lost in a small cave network one time, for about 3 hours. I knew my friends would come back and get me, I just wasn't sure how long they would let me wait. The kids in question must be having an incredibly shit time. Knowing escape is possible but patience is needed must be very difficult for them and their families. I thought they would have perished prior to the big news reveal. Hopefully a solution can be found.
I've only done caving once and as a person who is generally not scared andcomposed even in the worst situations, I was pretty batshit scared. Never went into a cave again unless it was wide af. I found my fear lol.

The first fewdays would have been crap, but it's a massive difference once you have established help is on its way even if you have to wait indefinitely for it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
One of the "nasty" navy seals has died helping these boys.

Ask him how fucking awesome his job is...
I doubt he can answer that anymore. Are you suggesting an interdimensional transmission? I'd wager while he was alive he thought his job was pretty kick arse. It doesn't seem like the kind of work people stick with if they don't le it.

It is tragic that has happened, compounded by being on a rescue mission.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've dived a few times in mines, and there's too many examples of it going wrong for me to want to ever do it again. No one should die at work. Special forces take educated and gut instinct risks normal people and underground mine rescuers don't and wouldn't. They back themselves 110% against crazy likelihood/consequence scenarios, most times their plan comes off, sometimes it doesn't and people die. That's often the consequence of the risks they're willing to take. Its a sobering reminder to those in charge to independently assess risk of the options they have.

safreek

Somebody is having a worse day than me, I very much doubt it, there are 5 super hot babez in Lycra doing allsorts of bendy things in the gym right now. And I can't have any of them. Tell me now that someone us having a worse day than me :confused:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've only done caving once and as a person who is generally not scared andcomposed even in the worst situations, I was pretty batshit scared. Never went into a cave again unless it was wide af. I found my fear lol.

The first fewdays would have been crap, but it's a massive difference once you have established help is on its way even if you have to wait indefinitely for it.
Did you have your basic cave diving certification, or was this a unplanned cave entry?

There is a reason you need at least an advanced open water certificate before being allowed to do basic cave diving which is to a max 20m, always in the light zone.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Somebody is having a worse day than me, I very much doubt it, there are 5 super hot babez in Lycra doing allsorts of bendy things in the gym right now. And I can't have any of them. Tell me now that someone us having a worse day than me :confused:
I was making coffee in a cafe filled with hot young mums. They were HOT, young, rings indicating partnered up, and loud toddlers...

safreek

I was making coffee in a cafe filled with hot young mums. They were HOT, young, rings indicating partnered up, and loud toddlers...
Its always good to get the married ones, someone else may claim your mistake as their own.
I was rather embarrassed with the tent in my spandex

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Did you have your basic cave diving certification, or was this a unplanned cave entry?

There is a reason you need at least an advanced open water certificate before being allowed to do basic cave diving which is to a max 20m, always in the light zone.
I was referring to caving, not cave diving. It was a guided tour type thing. I thought the kids were doing caving, not cave diving?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Those poor young thai lads in that cave. I can imagine being trapped, it's not a nice place.!
No escape from having to listen on as navy seals explain to them 24/7 about how fucking awesome it is being a navy seal, how the shinny ass brass wont let em do a rescue so we can all get out of the stinking shitter cave and hit the pattaya bars, how awesome it is to be a navy seal, and how the shiny ass seat polishers wont let us rescue you, and how aweseome it is to be a navy seal, and how shit the gear is the other use - wouldn't trust that thai seal equipment bro - only draeger, the safety's off - don't touch the trigger, ....., ...., ...
The non-swimmers will likely be sneaking off and slowly walking into the water - trying not to make a splash - just like they've heard how it's done for the last 48 hours.

Scarred for life those boys,
Ummm this may be over simplifying the situation tis not the gear but getting people through a choke point whilst having to remove their tanks and poke it through first in near zero viz is the big issue with no previous dive experience. it could all go wrong very easily The water is not deep but constrictions and no Viz is a real problem.
I would assume this would be done on Open Circuit equip not CCR Draeger

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I was referring to caving, not cave diving. It was a guided tour type thing. I thought the kids were doing caving, not cave diving?
Sorry, my mind immediately ran to cave diving with scuba, which is appealing to 0.000001% of the population and I was curious if you had tried it unlicensed.