What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Tuned up my gears so they were shifting sweet on the bike stand but when I went for a test ride up the block my shifting issues returned... won't shift down the cassette from 5th to 6th and won't shift into the final (11th) gear. It's weird that I can have it set up fine on the stand but it acts differently we underweight/drive.

Any ideas???
Do you have internal routing with different outter cable sections? If so, make sure they're all in place in the frame when you adjust the gears.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Do you have internal routing with different outter cable sections? If so, make sure they're all in place in the frame when you adjust the gears.
No, fully external and just one long piece of outer. It’s a Sram GX 11 speed shifter and matching rear mech.

I’m sure the hanger is straight and the issue is in the middle of the cassette and at the end. Not really sure what’s going on.

Might have to grab a new inner and outer and just start from scratch...

slowmick

38-39"
Around the corner from my house. Has seen many generations of kids badly build jumps and have fun wit their mates.

I remember when it housed the knox bmx club and it was in good condition in the 80s...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Around the corner from my house. Has seen many generations of kids badly build jumps and have fun wit their mates.

I remember when it housed the knox bmx club and it was in good condition in the 80s...
I first rode it as a 6yo not long after it would have closed? Kids are so lazy lol, it could be made into such an epic place. Back in my early teens it was pretty well set up with huge jumps consisting of car bonnets ha ha. Looked like there was the remains of what would have been some decent jumps down behind the start line.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Went for my first ride at Lysterfield today. Took the Remedy for its first run with bits of new drivetrain.

Not sure why I've avoided it for so long (I've heard many people bagging it out) but I had a great time. Maybe it was the conditions today (perfect) but I could just go full gas there, the black runs (forget names) were rad. Like a watered down Red Hill. Great confidence booster after a pretty nasty crash recently.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Wife went to Boronia High, I went to Syndal High (Glen Waverley was a hole back then) and my kids now go to Wantirna SC.
Small world!!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I don't doubt grip-shifters function alright for what they are, and that some people would think they're great - but they're not for me. In use - I strongly dislike that one of the primary points of contact/control is also something that requires twisting at times I generally don't want to be moving my wrist around or changing grip on the bar. Looking at that shifter, it looks like it'd take either a very significant twist around to change more than one or two speeds, or would require several smaller twists to jump multiple gears at once (ie: riding tracks with sudden pinch climbs) - which to my mind largely negates one of the benefits of gearbox bikes which (as I understand it) is the option/ability to jump multiple gears during shifting without having to ramp up/down through all of them. Happy that it works for you (and others), but personally I wouldn't buy a bike (or drivetrain system) with a grip-shifter as it just feels like an inconvenience and a distraction while riding to me. From an engineering standpoint it seems surprising they can't manufacture a trigger-shifter option for it, it should be fairly simple mechanically and would really help take some of the stigma away from the change to gearbox driveline for many. Again, stoked you're happy with it, but I reckon it would be a significant deterrent for many...
Sure a button on left and one on right side would be cool, but can’t say it’s be better than grip shift. Moving hand is hardly as big a deal as you over theorise it. How many moto riders have gone, gee I wish I had a thumb throttle. THUMBS, more important to keep them around grips than worrying about a few fingers moving together.
Yes you can dump several gears easily. For a few reasons you may be missing. There’s no tension on the cable, like pulling a mech accross, you can do it without pedalling in a millisecond, once used to it, it takes way less thinking than a derailleur gear shift you need at least a meter and full pedal rotation to shift one gear. So with the gearbox, no seeing if you can do that pedal stoke in the gear your in, like on a hill, no need to worry about rock strikes, pedalling I’m grass or when cornering, just bam, done. Your sundconsious after no time just BAM, done shifted, not thinking and apcalculationg if news a good time to shift, way less effort than with a mech, no pissing around soft pedalling to shift or anything. Just ride one, then for, an opinion, as anything without experience behind it is just guessing really.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I can afford a Nicolai Ion GPI but I got something else, so this isn't hypothetical. I respect Zaf's reasons but these are the things holding me back. See red.

1. The weight penalty is too high. 500g ok, 2kg not ok. Sure the removal of unsprung weight is great but on a guy who weighs 120kg+ it's not such a big deal. Dragging around an extra few kgs that I can't diet off and having to pay a premium will annoy me a lot. Weight centralised between ankles is barely noticeable and actually helps as it puts the center of mass of the bike there, making the bike want to work around it, like a ballast.
Either way, the weight penalty is far outweighed by the energy saved by being in the right gear all the time, not some compromised gear due to hill, rocks, corners, jumps whatever.

2. The transmission losses are too high. I've heard all sorts of numbers but lets assume ~10%. FTP/kg isn't everything in mtb but it still counts for something. Energy loss is probably non existent compared to most bikes with a used drivetrain. Again easily counter balanced by being in the right gear easier and not having to think about when to shift.
3. Having to ratchet in order to shift into a lower gear. I might be able to ride around this, but some long term testers haven't, so who knows. What’s “ratchet” you just shift. I wouldn’t believe any tests on anything, especially for something new and different like a gearbox. Tesers can’t bite the hands that feed them, are human and therefore scared to bank heavily on their love of the gearbox without having to add a negative thinking it’s sounds sophisticated. I sell zerodes, never had one disappointed Taniwha customer. Had one customer that didn’t love his gearbox DH Zerode in about ten years of selling them. Talk to an owner in person, hear what they have to say. Forget infomertail reviews. Get it from the horses mouth.
It’s the opposite, you have to listen to the customers total stoke on how much they love their bike, like hey e found some new massia. All with strava happily report about smashing Koms first or second ride. Even an Xc endurance racer after a days test ride was smashing his strava times.

4. For some people, twist shift is ok, but it feels distinctly worse than mechanical XTR trigger shifts to me. Di2 just expands that gap.
It’s just shifting man. Really isn’t any big deal. Save that silly talk for the cafe. Being able to slam multiple gears in one hit without having to lift your thumb, the whole thing that makes gripping work.
On the positives side, I don't tend to break derailleurs and I rotate and lube my chains a lot so my drivetrain costs are pretty low. So the benefits of a gearbox don't really stack up.
Next to no chain or cable stretch compared to mech bike. Next to no maintanence. Good idea rotating chains, but what a dirty pain in the arse. And still your using up your chains and gears way quicker than a gearbox bike.
If pinion or someone else could address the weight and losses issue, I would give gearboxes a good hard look. Otherwise I will stick to 10speed XTR/XT for as long as I can.
Just ride one for a day, instead of trying to talk yourselves and others out of the massive benefits. Taniwha, and Nicolais and some others are awesome designs that’ll make you faster, you’ll have to think less, you’ll always have your thumbs around the grips, you’ll have to do less makntanence and lose less energy every ride, enabling you to ride more.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Throw a leg over one, you’ll love it. Don’t paint yourself into a corner.