2019 Yeti's

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Test rode one before buying the Trance. Was curious to see what all that extra coin would get me.

Big meh from me too... Very happy with my Trance Advanced.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
This comment from the MTBr thread:

Obviously someone in the industry.
Not even close, just a dude who owns a few and is pretty vocal on that thread.

I don't get all the resentment some people have towards other brands be it Yeti, Santa Cruz, Intense, Nicolai etc...they all make nice bikes, bloody hell, even the big brands (Giant, Spec, Trek) make good bikes at the upper end of their spectrum that can cost as much or more as some of the smaller brands stuff.

TL/DR: Ride your bike, have fun, worry less and stop giving a fuck what someone else is riding.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@born-again-biker this is to you as well.

Credit where it's due, Yeti's marketing is about the best in the business. They've spent a whole lot of time and effort with their "rider driven" mentality and making sure each other their bike launches with a Proven Here video. They then have people like Joey Schluser doing these vast back country adventure rides, they have one of the most brutally fast racers heading their Enduro team (something which they are all-in on from a bike development perspective), and as a company they have angled themselves as riders first, and developing for other riders. They produce videos that make you want to ride, consistently.

When Yeti drops a new product, people stop and look, they occupy a prestige that few other brands do. The finish on a Santa Cruz frame is better, when you look at how clean the carbon is cut and constructed compared to some of the details and cuts on a Yeti (looking inside the head tube usually shows this pretty clearly), but there's a real image to owning a Yeti and they have a certain presence because of it.

How much of it is hype? That's going to vary from person to person. @Oddjob will sour grapes them and find reasons not to love them because he'll never own one, @moorey thinks there's a few too many pivots going on and has over-corrected in the opposite direction with regards to how much marketing can influence him (probably feels vulnerable). But most anyone that rides a Yeti is aware that, although it might not hit the heights it's marketing sets it up for, the produce spectacular bikes. They didn't get to that image without a little bit of substance behind them.

And because of that, they charge a premium knowing people will spend it, there's a whole psychology behind that as well.

TL;DR go ride one (properly set up, not a mates), it'll make a little more sense.
You need to find a different metaphor. Sour grapes is not something that I suffer from. If Aesop had a fable about scornful disdain that would be a better fit.

I can afford a Yeti, fuck I could make Mr Rowney's day and buy the total Australian allocation, but why the hell would I? I've always thought Yeti's were overpriced, maintenance pigs. The Switch and the Switch Infinity systems just fill me with loathing when I think about maintaining them. The last one I rode was a 575 and it was nothing to get excited about compared to an Ibis, Turner or Santa Cruz. The 303 I rode was a total pile of shit.

As an economist I fucking hate marketing, so their marketing team can go and die from ass cancer for all I care.

Richie Rude is a bad fit for their team. Fragile bike + fast and rough rider = DNF.

You know what. Talking about how bullshit Yeti is has made my mind up to go and buy another Turner. Now where the fuck did I leave that credit card...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
You misunderstand me @Zaf , it’s not really Yeti I dislike, it’s yeti fanatics.
To use a turn of phrase you might understand:
‘Yeti’s don’t kill my riding boner, Yeti riders kill my riding boner’

Also, did you somehow miss that I was one of very few who really like the styling of the new frames....other than the infinity shite,....from an aesthetics standpoint.

Reactions: Zaf

creaky

XMAS Plumper
You know what. Talking about how bullshit Yeti is has made my mind up to go and buy another Turner. Now where the fuck did I leave that credit card...
Just hold your breath for the next thousand years for the new Sultan .....

Oddjob

View attachment 347111
What?
He's successfully piloted that "bad fit" to two consecutive world championship titles and has never had a frame fragility problem; his mechanicals are almost invariably tyre related. Lets also just try and gloss over the fact that Ritchie's mechanical issues have, at least to my knowledge, yet to result in a DNF (certainly this season).

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story though.
Yeah before this guy called Sam Hill on this crappy CRC private label bike made him his bitch.

Rudes had a 53, 24, 1, 21, DNF, and a 10 this year, so yeah he's probably over riding and breaking shit.

In 2017 he had 3 top ten finishes and got a 44th and 37th. They mighy as well have been DNFs because he pactically had to walk out.

The two previous years he only fell out of the top ten once or twice. So yeah, his shit smelt good when Sam Hill wasn't around but not so much now.

His bike spec is the picture of reliability. Dt wheels, Shimano drive train, Fox suspension and yet he's still breaking stuff.

Oddjob

Just hold your breath for the next thousand years for the new Sultan .....
Already got one. Was tossing up between Czar/Mach 429 sl/Ripley ls, but now want to get a Czar to give more money to Dave Turner who I respect (ok I have a man crush).

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Already got one. Was tossing up between Czar/Mach 429 sl/Ripley ls, but now want to get a Czar to give more money to Dave Turner who I respect (ok I have a man crush).

Well Dave certainly ain't doing any marketing jingles. Love my Czar.

Oddjob

Well Dave certainly ain't doing any marketing jingles. Love my Czar.
What size do you have? Are they a big or small fit? I'm usually an XL but looking at an XXL to stretch out the reach.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yeah before this guy called Sam Hill on this crappy CRC private label bike made him his bitch.

Rudes had a 53, 24, 1, 21, DNF, and a 10 this year, so yeah he's probably over riding and breaking shit.

In 2017 he had 3 top ten finishes and got a 44th and 37th. They mighy as well have been DNFs because he pactically had to walk out.

The two previous years he only fell out of the top ten once or twice. So yeah, his shit smelt good when Sam Hill wasn't around but not so much now.

His bike spec is the picture of reliability. Dt wheels, Shimano drive train, Fox suspension and yet he's still breaking stuff.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What size do you have? Are they a big or small fit? I'm usually an XL but looking at an XXL to stretch out the reach.

XL. Reach isn't huge for the relevant seattube length so correct to size up. I'm 187cm with long legs so the geo works great for me as I don't need a BMX seat tube length which seems to be the current trend.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be happy to own a Yeti, I'll admit that looks play a very big role in the bikes that I own. I haven't owned one yet because they are expensive, but that sb100 has my name written on it. Like I said above, the prices are now pretty much the same as any other boutique brand here in aus, even if there's a bigger discrepancy overseas. Intense has gone rider direct and the prices have dropped massively overseas, but frame prices match Yeti here

Who knows where I'll end up buying. Canyon's Lux disappointed me with its geometry but it's got great value for money for a full build (frame only prices are overpriced). Orbea's Oiz looks great, but the frame only price is inflated to make you buy a full build.

Reactions: Zaf